Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default new "green" muriatic acid

On 9/9/2011 3:16 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 19:33:41 -0700 (PDT), Frank Foder
wrote:

Went to Lowes today to get the good stuff. They now have only "Klean-
Strip" brand muriatic acid, which has a bright green label that touts
it's environmental safety, and "low fumes". Of course, it doesn't list

I bought some of the green stuff intentionally because I was going to
let my 17 year old nephew and a friend wash the white brick at my
home.

They spent about 4 hours washing less than half of the front of the
house. Lets just say my nephew lacks motivation. We scrapped the
project.

Had I left them on the project, they would have eventually made it to
the back of the house. On the back side of the house, I have a wooden
porch. I was fearful that the acid could have damaged the wood.
Anyone know just how strong the green stuff is? It says not to get it
on metal or wood.

Strong acid can cause the hydrolysis of cellulose breaking it down to sugar.