Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default new "green" muriatic acid

JIMMIE wrote in
:

On Sep 9, 7:27*am, Han wrote:
Frank Foder wrote in
news:d8449f41-ee0f-44ec-af4b-
:

Went to Lowes today to get the good stuff. They now have only
"Klean- Strip" brand muriatic acid, which has a bright green label
that touts it's environmental safety, and "low fumes". Of course,
it doesn't list the concentration. I figured it was diluted.
Indeed, I see from the web MSDS sheets that this stuff is "25%"
HCl, while the normal stuff is 30%. Grainger seems to sell their
own "Green Envy" stuff that's a pathetic 20%.

Environmental safety?? Yes, it may be low fumes, but it's also low
performance. For those who take deep breaths while bending over
muriatic acid, this is the stuff for you!

This, of course is the trend in all kinds of solvents and cleaners.
The solution to screwing the customer is dilution of the solution.

HCl doesn't dissolve to greater than 30% in water. *Get it a little
warmed (just a little is enough), and the HCl gas will come out ---
fumes.

So 25% is just fine for almost any purpose, and 20% may also be fine,
unless your specific purpose requires the strongest acid possible. *

--
Best regards
Han

Most uses of HCL requires dilution anyway so just add a little less
water.

Jimmie

As he said. Indeed.

--