Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using diesel fiel in your homes oil burner/boiler

I have seen many posts agreeing that the two are pretty much
interchangeable. Yet most people replied that diesel is either a tad
more expensive but in most areas almost the same exact price, except
that diesel also has road use taxes. So why bother using diesel to
heat a home? Well I can tell you exactly why in my case! I live in the
Northeast (New England) and around here all oil companies have a 100
gallon minimum delivery service! (One or two will deliver 50 but with
a penalty i.e. more per gallon plus a $15 delivery fee!) That being
said, average per gal. around here is apx. $3.296-$3.496, it will cost
you between $320-$340 per delivery! As a single mother of 3 it's not
always easy to pay that much for oil since gauging it's usage to aline
with my budget is nearly impossible, so in a pinch paying to fill two
5 gal cans with diesel is way better than cold showers or freezing to
death waiting to save up the money for oil!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using diesel fuel in your homes oil burner/boiler

You can use diesel, or you can use kerosene. Either will
work. Kerosene is usually cleaner. I've known people with
oil burners who use one or the other.

I hear you, about the price of delivery. Ouch!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Andrea Parga" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 7, 3:09*pm, Andrea Parga wrote:
[...]

Diesel oil can be used in pressure jet burners.
For vapourising burners you need a lighter fuel (less viscous).
Dunno what you call it over there. Kerosene? Paraffin?

Your fuel is very cheap compared with UK/Europe. That will change with
the coming armageddon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 7, 10:16*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
You can usediesel, or you can use kerosene. Either will
work. Kerosene is usually cleaner. I've known people with
oil burners who use one or the other.

I hear you, about the price of delivery. Ouch!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

Thanks Chris! Is kerosene cheaper than diesel? That would be terrific!
Then again I wonder if kerosene would burn quicker since it's a
thinner more clarified oil? Or does that even matter?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 7, 10:27*am, Andrea Parga wrote:
On Sep 7, 10:16*am, "Stormin wrote:
You can usediesel, or you can use kerosene. Either will
work. Kerosene is usually cleaner. I've known people with
oil burners who use one or the other.

I hear you, about the price of delivery. Ouch!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

Thanks Chris! Is kerosene cheaper than diesel? That would be terrific!
Then again I wonder if kerosene would burn quicker since it's a
thinner more clarified oil? Or does that even matter?

It's not cheaper.

You're far better off finding the means to build a buffer of fuel oil
and then start saving for the next fill up. Instead of waiting till
you are out and not having the money. In the end you are paying more
for the same thing. And if you have a tight budget that's not the
mindset that will ever get you out of the hole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 7, 10:34*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
[...]

Ok perhaps I generalized a bit much! I'm in no hole, but there will be
times when my oil runs out the same week I paid $1,400 for rent! Thus
making another $300+ manifest for oil a near impossibility! But buying
5-10 gals of diesel to tie us over is fine by me, as I had originally
stated, "in a pinch". Anyhow if I could prevent my hard earned money
from being pocketed by these stingy oil companies forever I'd die
happy! Why have a minimum 100 gal delivery at all? Why not let me
throw in 20 gals for $80 or so dollars weekly or bi-weekly? Seriously,
why not?
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Wrote you a reply but alas, all was lost! Not sure why but was too
lengthy to write again...the basic message was that I'm in no hole,
but running out of oil on rent week necessitates the use of diesel
from time to time. And lastly the distaste for greedy oil companies
that impose 100 gal minimums! Why? Why not let me throw in $80 worth
(that'd be around 20gals) on a weekly or bi-weekly basis? Seriously
why not???
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 7, 11:14*am, Andrea Parga wrote:
[...]

why not???- Hide quoted text -

Because unlike the gas station where you
buy diesel they have to send a truck out to
you to deliver those 20 gallons. You may
think they are greedy oil companies, but
around here and in my experience, the
companies making home delivery of oil
are just small, local businessmen. Just
like the station that pumps gas, their
markup isn't much at all. I don't think
a 100 gallon minimum is at all unreasonable.

And don't know what kind of oil burner/boiler
you have but 20 gallons would not last
long in any house I've owned. I've also seen
the most problems with clogged nozzles
in oil burners from situations where people
regularly let the tank get empty or close to it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 7, 10:56*am, Andrea Parga wrote:
[...]

why not?- Hide quoted text -

I thought I already covered that. What does it
cost when you call anyone to your house for
any kind of service today? Almost any appliance
repair guy, electrician, HVAC, etc is going to
have a minimum service call fee of $50+
to just show up and spend even 15 mins.
To expect an oil company to provide a
delivery service for $80 of oil is unrealistic.
I'm beginning to think you're a troll.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Because their profit margin on the $80 worth of oil is probably $5 or
$10. They have to buy fuel for the truck, pay the guy that drives the
truck and keep the truck in repair. Why should they lose money
because you can't manage your money?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 7, 7:56*am, Andrea Parga wrote:
[...]

The true answer to your problem is BUDGET. Put aside money to get a
full delivery out of each pay check and don't touch it for anything
else. Basically your outlook is that yu are somehow not over paying
for fuel by buing 5-10 gals. WRONG you are paying a premium.

Others have answered you question about the fee for delivery. Because
is costs the company money to run the truck out to your place and they
are not going do it for free for a few gallons because you can't
budget your finances.

Sorry for the rather harsh tone but others have tried to say it nicely
and you are _still_ saying the same thing.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/7/2011 1:24 PM, Harry K wrote:
On Sep 7, 7:56 am, Andrea wrote:
On Sep 7, 10:34 am, wrote:

On Sep 7, 10:27 am, Andrea wrote:

[...]

I agree, she has to budget.
She could also put on a credit card and only differential would be
interest which would be less than the minimum penalty.

I've seen neighbor carting 5 gal cans of kerosene up the hill in the
winter because he failed to put in enough buffer of oil for the days the
trucks could not get up our hill. Stupid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andrea Parga wrote:
You're far better off finding the means to build a buffer of fuel oil
and then start saving for the next fill up. Instead of waiting till
you are out and not having the money. In the end you are paying more
for the same thing. And if you have a tight budget that's not the
mindset that will ever get you out of the hole.

Wrote you a reply but alas, all was lost! Not sure why but was too
lengthy to write again...the basic message was that I'm in no hole,
but running out of oil on rent week necessitates the use of diesel
from time to time. And lastly the distaste for greedy oil companies
that impose 100 gal minimums! Why? Why not let me throw in $80 worth
(that'd be around 20gals) on a weekly or bi-weekly basis? Seriously
why not???

Delivery costs - as lots of others have said. Just check your oil level once in
a while, and get it filled when it's down half way or so, and you won't have
another problem. Or, set aside the money so it's available the moment you need
it. You will pay way more for diesel with the taxes.

If you do buy diesel, you may be able to get a deduction for it when you do your
taxes if you keep good records.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I havn't bought either (I'm near Rochester, NY) and don't
know the prices near you. I'm guessing that kero is
cheaper, but probably not by much. Here, I can get kero at
"gas" stations.

I'd expect them to burn the same. Or so close, you'd never
know. If they are close in price, I'd buy kerosene, as it's
cleaner.

Oh..... diesel is usually transported in yellow plastic
containers, and kerosene in blue (red for gas). If you have
the choice, please choose the color that matches.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Andrea Parga" wrote in message

Thanks Chris! Is kerosene cheaper than diesel? That would be
terrific!
Then again I wonder if kerosene would burn quicker since
it's a
thinner more clarified oil? Or does that even matter?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Because the cost of driving the trucks around starts to get
a bit much. Every time they come out to the house, they have
to generate a work order, and pay the driver, and drive the
truck here and there. They want a few house calls as
possible.

I'd have to guess the price of oil is cheaper in the
summer -- so if you can plan a year ahead, you can get
cheaper oil during some months, and tank up.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Andrea Parga"
wrote in message

Ok perhaps I generalized a bit much! I'm in no hole, but
there will be
times when my oil runs out the same week I paid $1,400 for
rent! Thus
making another $300+ manifest for oil a near impossibility!
But buying
5-10 gals of diesel to tie us over is fine by me, as I had
originally
stated, "in a pinch". Anyhow if I could prevent my hard
earned money
from being pocketed by these stingy oil companies forever
I'd die
happy! Why have a minimum 100 gal delivery at all? Why not
let me
throw in 20 gals for $80 or so dollars weekly or bi-weekly?
Seriously,
why not?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Totally ideally, fill the tank during the summer or spring
when the price is lower. And, lugging kerosene gets tired.

I knew some folks who often ran out of home heat. They also
had oil fired water heater. I got used to pouring kerosene
through a funnel, into their oil fill.

Safety hint: If you take out an oil tank. Make super certain
sure the fill tube is plugged (cement, great stuff, or some
other permanant plug). Or capped on the cellar end of the
tube. Sometimes a delivery guy will stop at the wrong house,
and pump 200 gal of fuel oil into someone else cellar.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Frank"
wrote in message ...

I agree, she has to budget.
She could also put on a credit card and only differential
would be
interest which would be less than the minimum penalty.

I've seen neighbor carting 5 gal cans of kerosene up the
hill in the
winter because he failed to put in enough buffer of oil for
the days the
trucks could not get up our hill. Stupid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

This is not a "hey i can use diesel fuel instead of No 2 oil" thing...

This is a basic Home Budgeting 101 issue...

Put $100 a week into an envelope marked "heating oil"...

That way when the oil runs out at the end of the month, you have
the money saved up for it...

Your problem *IS* financial -- poor budgeting... Your oil tank is
how many gallons ? 250 ? Buying the minimum they will
deliver also seems to be part of your problem...

Buy a $5 timer and time the showers and improve your budgeting
skills...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 7, 12:06*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
[...]

How many times do you have to be told? BECAUSE IT COSTS THEM TOO MUCH
MONEY TO RUN THE FRIPPING TRUCK OUT TO A DITZ THAT ONLY WANTS 10
GALLONS.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 7, 11:55*am, "
wrote:
[...]

Hahaha! U dummies (sorry had to say it) I wasn't repeating myself! If
you had read my first message correctly you all would know that the
second "supposed" repetative message was in fact my original lengthy
message that failed to post! Hence the quick summation of that
original message in a separate post! Seems the original message
finally did post! Lol! Which at a glance looked as though I was Polly
the repeating parrot! I was asking that question in all honesty and
some of you gave me the insight I was looking for! As for the others
so quick to judge and preach about budget this and that!!! Why I even
find myself compelled to respond is beyond me right now but here it is
nonetheless....Not only am I a single widowed parent of 3 (my husband
died fighting for our country!) my sole income is not the easiest to
budget when you live check to check, I find I run out of oil
unexpectedly hating the thought of entering my creepy basement to even
check the gauge! Lol! The way I usually find out is one of the kids
screaming because their shower just became an ice bath! So buying oil
100 gals at a time isn't always feasible for me if I've just paid
rent, or more recent ly
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 7, 11:55*am, "
wrote:
[...]

School clothes! So diesel in that pinch works for me! And I get the
whole service fee and cost to pay drivers etc. but I think they should
have a program that allows families with low incomes to buy less oil
at a time!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andrea Parga" wrote
Wrote you a reply but alas, all was lost! Not sure why but was too
lengthy to write again...the basic message was that I'm in no hole,
but running out of oil on rent week necessitates the use of diesel
from time to time. And lastly the distaste for greedy oil companies
that impose 100 gal minimums! Why? Why not let me throw in $80 worth
(that'd be around 20gals) on a weekly or bi-weekly basis? Seriously
why not???

You'd be amazed at how little profit they make on a hundred gallon delivery.
Some want 150 gallons now. The driver's time to fill 200 gallons is not
much more than pumping only 20 gallons, so the cost of the truck, insurance,
wear on tires, labor, is about the same. The overhead goes up 10X with the
20 gallon delivery you want. How much of a premium would you be willing to
pay for that service?

It is up to you to get some oil before the rent is due. Get on a 10 month
budget plan and automatic delivery and stop worrying. Pay with a credit
card and you have a month to pay the bill.

Seems like you are blaming others for your problem. You know you'll need
oil so start now. Get a delivery this week, top it off before the really
cold weather starts to suck it down. Another alternative is to move to a
place with lower rent. Maybe a better insulated place with lower bills for
heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Harry, please read my recent reply, then go back and re-read the two
messages...if you care to that is. I'm sure you will ascertain I am
the furthest thing from a ditz! :-) However should you not, that's
okay too Jesus loves you and I do too God bless! Now I'm off to take a
nice extremely long extra hot shower, with water heated by my lowly
5gal jug of diesel! ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 7, 10:41*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Andrea Parga" wrote

[...]

Why is everybody taking this post to such an extreme? I lost my
husband in Iraq a year ago okay I posted this today to get some
insight on why 100 gals. all the time and got some great answers..then
a glitch posted one of my replies twice in error...so one idiot says
it must be my budgeting? Wth? I filled the tank with oil not too long
ago and it just so happened to run out on a bad week i.e. rent, school
clothes for my 14,12, and 3 year old children, so this week diesel
won! Thats all I was saying!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 7, 4:14*pm, Andrea Parga wrote:
[...]

Simply because it costs as much to transport 500 gallons of oil as 5
gallons.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 8, 4:04*am, Andrea Parga wrote:
[...]

won! Thats all I was saying!- Hide quoted text -

People do get a bit nasty on this group including myself I must say.
Don't let it get to you.
But they are giving good advice. I realise you may not be used to
dealing with finances if you have lost your husband. You have to be
thinking a long time ahead with some financial things. Youealltneed
tositdown with pen and paper and sort out your various outgoings

I am from the UK. We have organisations over here that help out
widows of soldiers both financially, with advice and socially.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Are there no similar organisations in America? How about this one?
http://www.goldstarwives.org/

Posted to alt.home.repair

A few of the posters on this forum are gentle, others need
some coaching from Miss Manners.

I'm sad to hear that your husband was killed, while in
service to his country. That makes a lot of change for you,
and for your kids (and future grand kids). For the rest of
your lives. And cheats him out of the rest of his life.

How old are the kids? Maybe one of them can be dressed in
"cellar duty" uniform (the oldest clothes you can find) and
sent on recon mission. With flashlight, clip pad, pen, and
scary black gun with bright orange tip? If you get captured
by the furnace, you have to eat the secret message. Do not
fail me, Darth Oilchecker!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Andrea Parga"
wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like a niche market. Maybe a smaller truck, and able
to deliver a smaller volume of oil. I can imagine that being
very popular, as the Obama economy gets worse.

I hope they change it back. This Obama regime is killing the
US economy.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Andrea Parga"
wrote in message

School clothes! So diesel in that pinch works for me! And I
get the
whole service fee and cost to pay drivers etc. but I think
they should
have a program that allows families with low incomes to buy
less oil
at a time!

Posted to alt.home.repair

You hadn't mentioned how old the kids are. But, it is
possible one or more of them can help with the fuel for the
oil tank.

Did you check on the price of kerosene, and of diesel in
your area? I have not checked, here. Well, mostly because I
havn't purchased either, in 10 plus year. Gasoline is around
$3.80 or so. Ouch. Of course, the taxes in PRNY (Peoples
Republic of New York) are up there with California.

Ed did mention better insullation, and lowering your fuel
bill. Have you considered window plastic, and some of those
ideas?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Andrea Parga"
wrote in message

How many times do you have to be told? BECAUSE IT COSTS
THEM TOO MUCH
MONEY TO RUN THE FRIPPING TRUCK OUT TO A DITZ THAT ONLY
WANTS 10
GALLONS.

Harry K

Harry, please read my recent reply, then go back and re-read
the two
messages...if you care to that is. I'm sure you will
ascertain I am
the furthest thing from a ditz! :-) However should you not,
that's
okay too Jesus loves you and I do too God bless! Now I'm off
to take a
nice extremely long extra hot shower, with water heated by
my lowly
5gal jug of diesel! ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hmm. I'd say that three is too young (and probably too
short) to check the oil. Do either of your other two kids
have the skills? Or can learn how to read the oil gage and
report back?

Some of the folks here aren't all that coherent, and tend to
run off in different directions. Oh, scuse me, I've got to
go put some purple crayons in the toaster before the warning
bell rings on my bathtub.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Andrea Parga"
wrote in message

Why is everybody taking this post to such an extreme? I lost
my
husband in Iraq a year ago okay I posted this today to get
some
insight on why 100 gals. all the time and got some great
answers..then
a glitch posted one of my replies twice in error...so one
idiot says
it must be my budgeting? Wth? I filled the tank with oil not
too long
ago and it just so happened to run out on a bad week i.e.
rent, school
clothes for my 14,12, and 3 year old children, so this week
diesel
won! Thats all I was saying!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andrea Parga wrote:

School clothes! So diesel in that pinch works for me! And I get the
whole service fee and cost to pay drivers etc. but I think they should
have a program that allows families with low incomes to buy less oil
at a time!

Why? List what's in it for them, other than charging their rich customers
more to make up for the loss.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/7/2011 10:56 AM, Andrea Parga wrote:
On Sep 7, 10:34 am, wrote:
On Sep 7, 10:27 am, Andrea wrote:

[...]

If you have a car you know how much it costs to operate. Just consider
how much it costs to operate a liquid fuels delivery truck.

It is easy to think that the local oil company is simply putting all of
the money they charge in their pocket. So you say to yourself "I ordered
100 gallons so they just made $400". Reality is they have to purchase
the fuel for not much less than they are selling it to you and equipment
such as the trucks and they pay someone and work on a small percentage
to cover those costs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/7/2011 10:32 PM, Andrea Parga wrote:
On Sep 7, 11:55 am,
wrote:
On Sep 7, 10:56 am, Andrea wrote:

On Sep 7, 10:34 am, wrote:

On Sep 7, 10:27 am, Andrea wrote:

[...]

Would you be willing to pay the excess cost then? Supposed you called
and said "bring 10 gallons over" and they said sure but we need to
charge $30 more for such a small delivery. Remember the oil delivery
company isn't putting all of that money into their pocket as you
imagine. Their driver takes the truck to the fuel depot and fills it and
they pay not much less for the oil than they charge you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/7/2011 11:14 AM, Andrea Parga wrote:
On Sep 7, 10:34 am, wrote:
On Sep 7, 10:27 am, Andrea wrote:

[...]

Lets say you bake cupcakes for extra income. You need to buy supplies
etc to do it. So you only keep a small portion of the actual selling
price of the cupcake. Lets say you will deliver 100 cupcakes for $100.
So a customer of yours says "we would really like to have more cupcakes
but didn't budget for it, so we want you you to deliver 10 cupcakes for
$10". Could you do it? Would it make any economic sense to burn the same
amount of fuel in your car and use the same of time to deliver 10?
Remember just like the heating oil company you actually are keeping only
a small portion of the selling price since you have to pay for supplies
and use your vehicle to deliver the product.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/7/2011 10:41 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Andrea Parga" wrote
Wrote you a reply but alas, all was lost! Not sure why but was too
lengthy to write again...the basic message was that I'm in no hole,
but running out of oil on rent week necessitates the use of diesel
from time to time. And lastly the distaste for greedy oil companies
that impose 100 gal minimums! Why? Why not let me throw in $80 worth
(that'd be around 20gals) on a weekly or bi-weekly basis? Seriously
why not???

You'd be amazed at how little profit they make on a hundred gallon
delivery. Some want 150 gallons now. The driver's time to fill 200
gallons is not much more than pumping only 20 gallons, so the cost of
the truck, insurance, wear on tires, labor, is about the same. The
overhead goes up 10X with the 20 gallon delivery you want. How much of a
premium would you be willing to pay for that service?

Unfortunately "Andrea" can't wrap her head around the idea that the
local oil company actually has to go and buy the product they are
delivering to her for not much less than they are selling it to her.

Good friend has a liquid fuels business. The typical "tankwagon"
truck costs $350,000. Tires are $400/each. There are expensive recurring
inspections for tank integrity. Then there is really expensive mandatory
hazardous cargo insurance for spills/accidents. Add in the cost of labor
and the fuel to run a truck that gets 6 MPG and you wonder how they can
even do 100 gallon minimum deliveries.

It is up to you to get some oil before the rent is due. Get on a 10
month budget plan and automatic delivery and stop worrying. Pay with a
credit card and you have a month to pay the bill.

Seems like you are blaming others for your problem. You know you'll need
oil so start now. Get a delivery this week, top it off before the really
cold weather starts to suck it down. Another alternative is to move to a
place with lower rent. Maybe a better insulated place with lower bills
for heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 7, 8:04*pm, Andrea Parga wrote:
[...]

NO, that is not _all_ you were saying. You were complaining (more
than twice btw) that companies should deliver 5 or 10 gal oil for
free. That is even _after_ it was explained to you (more than twice
BTW).

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 8, 1:01*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Sounds like a niche market. Maybe a smaller truck, and able
to deliver a smaller volume of oil. I can imagine that being
very popular, as the Obama economy gets worse.

I hope they change it back. This Obama regime is killing the
US economy.

Repubs killed the US economy. There are no magic wands. It will take
a decade to fix it. If it can be fixed at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 7, 10:27*pm, Andrea Parga wrote:
On Sep 7, 11:55*am, "
wrote:

[...]

Excuse us, but are we supposed to go back to compare all
your previous posts to see which ones you made twice?
And obviously it did not fail to post, it actually posted twice.
So, given the circumstances I wouldn't start calling people names.

Hence the quick summation of that
original message in a separate post!

In which case it would be a good idea to point that out
when you made the second post.

Seems the original message
finally did post! Lol! Which at a glance looked as though I was Polly
the repeating parrot!

It did.

I was asking that question in all honesty and
some of you gave me *the insight I was looking for! As for the others
so quick to judge and preach about budget this and that!!! Why I even
find myself compelled to respond is beyond me right now but here it is
nonetheless....Not only am I a single widowed parent of 3 (my husband
died fighting for our country!) my sole income is not the easiest to
budget when you live check to check, I find I run out of oil
unexpectedly hating the thought of entering my creepy basement to even
check the gauge! Lol! The way I usually find out is one of the kids
screaming because their shower just became an ice bath! So buying oil
100 gals at a time isn't always feasible for me if I've just paid
rent, or more recent ly- Hide quoted text -

I'm sorry for your loss and salute your late husband for his
service to the country.

I know you think those bringing up budgeting so that you
don't run out of oil are being mean, but I can tell you this.
In many years of experience I've found that oil burners
that are allowed to run out wind up with a lot more
service problems, everything from clogged nozzles to
having to bleed them to get them going again. So I
think the budget advice that someone else made
or the idea of putting the oil delivery on a credit card
etc are actually very good suggestions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 7, 3:56*pm, Andrea Parga wrote:
[...]

Another thought. Here in the UK people form buying co-ops for fuel
oil.
They put in a bulk order & the tanker comes round and fills the whole
neighbourhood's tanks. Maybe there is one round your way or you could
start one up. You get it much cheaper as transport costs/time are
reduced. I believe my nieghbour gets 15% off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andrea Parga wrote the following:
[...]

I have a budget plan with my fuel oil company.
I pay a fixed monthly payment throughout the whole year based upon the
amount of fuel oil used in the past plus the anticipated cost per gallon
although I only use the oil burner in the winter. The plan is
reevaluated at the end of the 1 year plan period. Any overage payment is
credited to my account for the next year.
For me, at least, this is better than having to shell out $1,000 or more
without the plan at the time of delivery. The delivery is automatic,
starting in late autumn and may be topped off a couple more times during
the winter months by any amount, whether or not we are home.
If this would be better for you, you may check for this kind of plan
with your current fuel oil company or find another that does.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 7, 11:04*pm, Andrea Parga wrote:
Why is everybody taking this post to such an extreme?

Well, because despite your circumstances you can still do things
differently to avoid getting into that "bad week" situation.

What I don't understand is, if you don't have enough money for oil on
rent week, how do you have enough money for oil any other week?

Seriously, consider moving. Oil is one of the most expensive ways to
heat. You can often find apartment complexes that have central heating
plants and provide heat and hot water as part of the monthly rent.

It's "do what you gotta do to survive." If one of the things you have
to do is move, you have to be willing to do it. This attitude people
have of living life on their terms is what's turning us into a welfare
state.