Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using diesel fuel in your homes oil burner/boiler

Andrea Parga wrote the following:
On Sep 7, 10:34 am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Sep 7, 10:27 am, Andrea Parga wrote:

On Sep 7, 10:16 am, "Stormin wrote:
You can usediesel, or you can use kerosene. Either will
work. Kerosene is usually cleaner. I've known people with
oil burners who use one or the other.
I hear you, about the price of delivery. Ouch!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

It's not cheaper.

You're far better off finding the means to build a buffer of fuel oil
and then start saving for the next fill up. Instead of waiting till
you are out and not having the money. In the end you are paying more
for the same thing. And if you have a tight budget that's not the
mindset that will ever get you out of the hole.

Ok perhaps I generalized a bit much! I'm in no hole, but there will be
times when my oil runs out the same week I paid $1,400 for rent! Thus
making another $300+ manifest for oil a near impossibility! But buying
5-10 gals of diesel to tie us over is fine by me, as I had originally
stated, "in a pinch". Anyhow if I could prevent my hard earned money
from being pocketed by these stingy oil companies forever I'd die
happy! Why have a minimum 100 gal delivery at all? Why not let me
throw in 20 gals for $80 or so dollars weekly or bi-weekly? Seriously,
why not?

Call your fuel oil company and see if they will fill 5 gallon cans at
their facility. If yes, go buy some 5 gallon cans at the hardware store
and do your own deliveries at your cost. They may even give you a
discount because they don't have to pay all the overhead for their
deliveries.
I use around 4-5 gallons a day for my winter heating depending upon the
outside temperature here in NY, so with 20 gallons, I'll have to make
the trip at least once a week. Don't forget to add in the cost for your
gasoline to make the round trip to the fuel oil company.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 8, 8:25*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Andrea Parga wrote:

School clothes! Sodieselin that pinch works for me! And I get the
whole service fee and cost to pay drivers etc. but I think they should
have a program that allows families with low incomes to buy lessoil
at a time!

Why? List what's in it for them, other than charging their rich customers
more to make up for the loss.

What could potentially be in it for them is a ton of new customers
that would offset any potential loss they would have delivering small
amounts to everyone....just a thought, what do u think?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andrea Parga wrote:
On Sep 8, 8:25 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Andrea Parga wrote:

School clothes! Sodieselin that pinch works for me! And I get the
whole service fee and cost to pay drivers etc. but I think they
should have a program that allows families with low incomes to buy
lessoil at a time!

Why? List what's in it for them, other than charging their rich
customers more to make up for the loss.

What could potentially be in it for them is a ton of new customers
that would offset any potential loss they would have delivering small
amounts to everyone....just a thought, what do u think?

I think that's what the used car dealer said, except a bit more elegantly:
"We lose money on every car we sell, but we make it up in volume."

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:

Call your fuel oil company and see if they will fill 5 gallon cans at
their facility. If yes, go buy some 5 gallon cans at the hardware
store and do your own deliveries at your cost. They may even give you
a discount because they don't have to pay all the overhead for their
deliveries.
I use around 4-5 gallons a day for my winter heating depending upon
the outside temperature here in NY, so with 20 gallons, I'll have to
make the trip at least once a week. Don't forget to add in the cost
for your gasoline to make the round trip to the fuel oil company.

And if she had a diesel vehicle, she could kill two birds with one bush.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Evan wrote:

That is a bad idea...

There is a limit as to how much fuel/flammables you can carry around
in your car without requiring a special permit/tank/inspections and
the
CDL with hazardous cargo endorsement...

Exigent circumstances trumps all regulations. It's COLD, remember.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If it makes money, someone is already providing it. So, I'm
thinking you have a really beautiful idea. It (small
delivery) would help a lot of struggling people. Sadly, it's
not sounding like a money maker.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Andrea Parga" wrote in message

Why? List what's in it for them, other than charging their
rich customers
more to make up for the loss.

What could potentially be in it for them is a ton of new
customers
that would offset any potential loss they would have
delivering small
amounts to everyone....just a thought, what do u think?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 11:17:42 -0700 (PDT), Andrea Parga
wrote:

On Sep 8, 8:25*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Andrea Parga wrote:

School clothes! Sodieselin that pinch works for me! And I get the
whole service fee and cost to pay drivers etc. but I think they should
have a program that allows families with low incomes to buy lessoil
at a time!

Why? List what's in it for them, other than charging their rich customers
more to make up for the loss.

What could potentially be in it for them is a ton of new customers
that would offset any potential loss they would have delivering small
amounts to everyone....just a thought, what do u think?

Good idea! Why don't you buy small quantities of fuel and deliver it as a
side job. You could be *rich*!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Her three kids could drag the supply hose, and do the
deliveries, and she can drive?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

What could potentially be in it for them is a ton of new
customers
that would offset any potential loss they would have
delivering small
amounts to everyone....just a thought, what do u think?

Good idea! Why don't you buy small quantities of fuel and
deliver it as a
side job. You could be *rich*!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 22:32:09 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Her three kids could drag the supply hose, and do the
deliveries, and she can drive?

Supply hose? The idea isn't to compete with "Big Oil", rather to supply those
who won't budget. She can just load up the junker with surplus jerry cans.
Maybe the kids can sit on them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You know, that makes perfect sense. The kids can handle the
two wheel dolly, screw the cap off the fill tube, carry the
funnel, and so on. I think this could easily take shape.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

Her three kids could drag the supply hose, and do the
deliveries, and she can drive?

Supply hose? The idea isn't to compete with "Big Oil",
rather to supply those
who won't budget. She can just load up the junker with
surplus jerry cans.
Maybe the kids can sit on them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 8, 4:17*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Evan wrote:

That is a bad idea...

There is a limit as to how much fuel/flammables you can carry around
in your car without requiring a special permit/tank/inspections and
the
CDL with hazardous cargo endorsement...

Exigent circumstances trumps all regulations. It's COLD, remember.

No, they don't...

Exigent circumstances don't apply in this situation...

Clearly the OP can not afford her opulent living situation given her
current financial reality and needs to apply for housing assistance...

I would not want to be caught carting around too much fuel oil in
the present homeland security circumstances...

A homeowners inability to properly budget for their household
or live within their means so that home heating oil can be
delivered by properly trained and licensed CDL drivers with
hazardous materials endorsements does not nullify all of the
federal and state laws regulating the transportation and storage
of flammable liquids...

~~ Evan