Posted to alt.home.repair

Default gloves for lacquer thinner

I bought a gallon copper pitcher on eBay. It had been lacquered, and it was
tarnishing under the lacquer. The item is a bit big to boil off the
lacquer, plus I don't know what the baking soda will do to the tin lining.
So I figured I'd simply use lacquer thinner. There being a bit of area
needing to be cleaned I figured I'd stop at my Lowes and buy some gloves.
The problem is none of the gloves they sell are recommended for lacquer
thinner!

Back at home on the web I learn that laminate gloves are the only type for
lacquer thinner and that they can only be bought in packs of 10 gloves for
$46-100! All I need in one glove.

What are my options here for hand protection?

Don. http://paleodiet.com/definition.htm (e-mail link at page bottom).
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Wiss wrote:
I bought a gallon copper pitcher on eBay. It had been lacquered, and
it was tarnishing under the lacquer. The item is a bit big to boil
off the lacquer, plus I don't know what the baking soda will do to
the tin lining. So I figured I'd simply use lacquer thinner. There
being a bit of area needing to be cleaned I figured I'd stop at my
Lowes and buy some gloves. The problem is none of the gloves they
sell are recommended for lacquer thinner!

Back at home on the web I learn that laminate gloves are the only
type for lacquer thinner and that they can only be bought in packs of
10 gloves for $46-100! All I need in one glove.

What are my options here for hand protection?

Wipe on, wipe off, wash hands.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 07:01:18 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

I bought a gallon copper pitcher on eBay. It had been lacquered, and it was
tarnishing under the lacquer. The item is a bit big to boil off the
lacquer, plus I don't know what the baking soda will do to the tin lining.
So I figured I'd simply use lacquer thinner. There being a bit of area
needing to be cleaned I figured I'd stop at my Lowes and buy some gloves.
The problem is none of the gloves they sell are recommended for lacquer
thinner!

Back at home on the web I learn that laminate gloves are the only type for
lacquer thinner and that they can only be bought in packs of 10 gloves for
$46-100! All I need in one glove.

What are my options here for hand protection?

I've used lots of lacquer thinner with no gloves. Use brushes with
handles, or tongs to hold your steelwool. Rinse well if you get
some on you.

If you think you'll still be at risk, use leather gloves & don't let
them get saturated.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 5, 7:01*am, Don Wiss wrote:

What are my options here for hand protection?

http://www.google.com/search?client=... =922&bih=517

http://tinyurl.com/chemgloves
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 5, 4:01*am, Don Wiss wrote:
I bought a gallon copper pitcher on eBay. It had been lacquered, and it was
tarnishing under the lacquer. The item is a bit big to boil off the
lacquer, plus I don't know what the baking soda will do to the tin lining..
So I figured I'd simply use lacquer thinner. There being a bit of area
needing to be cleaned I figured I'd stop at my Lowes and buy some gloves.
The problem is none of the gloves they sell are recommended for lacquer
thinner!

Back at home on the web I learn that laminate gloves are the only type for
lacquer thinner and that they can only be bought in packs of 10 gloves for
$46-100! All I need in one glove.

What are my options here for hand protection?

Don.http://paleodiet.com/definition.htm(e-mail link at page bottom).

Don-

Baking soda solution will not harm the tin lining.

I've had good luck with nitrile for lacquer thinner for the few times
I used it but.....

Turns out that "lacquer thinner" isn't

well-defined. Different manufacturers use different formulations.

the batch you got probably has some components that attack nitrile
(ketones)

YEARS ago I had these heavy reusable "rubber gloves" (yellow 'rubber'
with a cloth lining), they seemed bullet proof.
I used them for all sort of solvents & chemicals; gasoline, MEK,
acetone, copper based wood preservative, MC based stripper.
Good performance with all, don't know what they were. I gave them to
a former neighbor when my chemical usage waned and he was using a
copper based wood preservative bare handed.

check out

http://www.mcmaster.com/#rubber-gloves/=dxhvv5
click through on the solvent resistant gloves

there is an extensive chemical compatibility chart (too long for me to
wade through)

figure on spending about $30 for a pair but they will last for a VERY
long time.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 5, 10:29*am, DD_BobK wrote:
On Sep 5, 4:01*am, Don Wiss wrote:

[...]

I think it is nitrile rubber gloves that are recommended for solvents
that might permeate other rubbers.

I would not use my bare hands but might get by with tongs or the like.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 5, 6:01*am, Don Wiss wrote:
I bought a gallon copper pitcher on eBay. It had been lacquered, and it was
tarnishing under the lacquer. The item is a bit big to boil off the
lacquer, plus I don't know what the baking soda will do to the tin lining..
So I figured I'd simply use lacquer thinner. There being a bit of area
needing to be cleaned I figured I'd stop at my Lowes and buy some gloves.
The problem is none of the gloves they sell are recommended for lacquer
thinner!

Back at home on the web I learn that laminate gloves are the only type for
lacquer thinner and that they can only be bought in packs of 10 gloves for
$46-100! All I need in one glove.

What are my options here for hand protection?

Don.http://paleodiet.com/definition.htm(e-mail link at page bottom).

The poly-ethylene gloves should work fine with solvents. (Cheap
medical type) Maybe doubled, because they're thin.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Sep 2011, Frank wrote:

I think it is nitrile rubber gloves that are recommended for solvents
that might permeate other rubbers.

No. Nitrile gloves are specifically not recommended for ketones, which are
in lacquer thinner.

I would not use my bare hands but might get by with tongs or the like.

It is way too big for tongs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Sep 2011 wrote:

The poly-ethylene gloves should work fine with solvents. (Cheap
medical type) Maybe doubled, because they're thin.

You write should. You mean this is just a hunch?

I found this chart which has acetone listed:
http://www.aps.anl.gov/Safety_and_Tr...selection.html

Poly-ethylene is not listed. I don't know what gloves are made from it.

These are the ingredients and their rating:

Neoprene Natural Latex Butyl Nitrile
or Rubber Latex

Acetone G VG VG P
Ethyl Acetate G F G F
Methanol VG VG VG VG
Toluene F P P F

Now I see they also listed laquer thinners:
G F F P

Which has neoprene the best. Those Home Depot gloves recommened in a post
above on a search for chemical gloves are neoprene.

Don. http://paleofood.com/kitchen-equipment.htm (e-mail at page bottom).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 17:52:57 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

On Mon, 5 Sep 2011, Frank wrote:

I think it is nitrile rubber gloves that are recommended for solvents
that might permeate other rubbers.

No. Nitrile gloves are specifically not recommended for ketones, which are
in lacquer thinner.

I would not use my bare hands but might get by with tongs or the like.

It is way too big for tongs.

I'd clean something big like that just as I clean auto parts.
Put it in a wide shallow pan and work your solvent with a brush.
All kinds of brushes to use, but I use a stiff sash brush the most.
Some auto stores sell them.
If it's too big for a pan, lay it on a bed of rags.
A brush can splash, so it's best to wear eye protection.
Take all the normal flammable precautions.
No need to get your hands/gloves soaked in solvent.
Just usually makes the job go faster.
Tongs are for pulling dozer track shoes from a furnace or brats from
the grill.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Sep 2011, Bob_Villa wrote:

The poly-ethylene gloves should work fine with solvents. (Cheap
medical type) Maybe doubled, because they're thin.

I've found more charts. The best is the new Ansell Barrier laminate gloves.
I can buy one glove he
http://www.gemplers.com/product/1820...ves?sku=182013

Another chart is inside a frame at this site: http://www.mcmaster.com/
The best lacquer thinner gets in the chart is a "B-Moderate Effect—Some
chemical resistance. Some performance degradation. Shortening of product
life." And the only ones to get a B is: neoprene (I bought a pair at Home
Depot) and one of their three polyethylene gloves, their 5582T7, which is a
Disposable Polyethylene Glove Powder Free, 1.25 Mils Thick, 12" Length,
Clear; sold only in boxes of 100.

It got dark by the time I got back from Home Depot. I will try the neoprene
gloves out tomorrow. I'm sure they will be fine. Lacquer comes off readily
and I should be able to finish quickly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can buy one glove hehttp://www.gemplers.com/product/1820...hemical-Resist...

Another chart is inside a frame at this site:http://www.mcmaster.com/
The best lacquer thinner gets in the chart is a "B-Moderate Effect—Some
chemical resistance. Some performance degradation. Shortening of product
life." And the only ones to get a B is: neoprene (I bought a pair at Home
Depot) and one of their three polyethylene gloves, their 5582T7, which is a
Disposable Polyethylene Glove Powder Free, 1.25 Mils Thick, 12" Length,
Clear; sold only in boxes of 100.

It got dark by the time I got back from Home Depot. I will try the neoprene
gloves out tomorrow. I'm sure they will be fine. Lacquer comes off readily
and I should be able to finish quickly.

Don.www.donwiss.com(e-mail link at home page bottom).

So...is this a way of saying I might be right? Or a partial apology?
I was just trying to suggest what I thought would work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Wiss wrote:
I bought a gallon copper pitcher on eBay. It had been lacquered, and
it was tarnishing under the lacquer. The item is a bit big to boil
off the lacquer, plus I don't know what the baking soda will do to
the tin lining. So I figured I'd simply use lacquer thinner. There
being a bit of area needing to be cleaned I figured I'd stop at my
Lowes and buy some gloves. The problem is none of the gloves they
sell are recommended for lacquer thinner!

Back at home on the web I learn that laminate gloves are the only
type for lacquer thinner and that they can only be bought in packs of
10 gloves for $46-100! All I need in one glove.

What are my options here for hand protection?

You could spray your hands with PAM. It works for latex paints. Other than
that, I don't know.

Why do you think you need hand protection for lacquer thinner?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 5, 6:31*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Don Wiss wrote:
I bought a gallon copper pitcher on eBay. It had been lacquered, and
it was tarnishing under the lacquer. The item is a bit big to boil
off the lacquer, plus I don't know what the baking soda will do to
the tin lining. So I figured I'd simply use lacquer thinner. There
being a bit of area needing to be cleaned I figured I'd stop at my
Lowes and buy some gloves. The problem is none of the gloves they
sell are recommended for lacquer thinner!

Back at home on the web I learn that laminate gloves are the only
type for lacquer thinner and that they can only be bought in packs of
10 gloves for $46-100! All I need in one glove.

What are my options here for hand protection?

You could spray your hands with PAM. It works for latex paints. Other than
that, I don't know.

Why do you think you need hand protection for lacquer thinner?

http://www.dosha.org/msds/Lacquer%20Thinner.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

DD_BobK wrote:
On Sep 5, 6:31 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Don Wiss wrote:
[...]

Okay, that says lacquer thinner is "irritating to... skin."

So is a mosquito.

Note that lacquer thinner is "IRRITATING" not "harmful" or "toxic" or any
other appellation used for eyes, lungs, or internal organs.

I do note that this product is known to cause reproductive toxicity in
California, which is not a bad thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2011 7:01 AM, Don Wiss wrote:
I bought a gallon copper pitcher on eBay. It had been lacquered, and it was
tarnishing under the lacquer. The item is a bit big to boil off the
lacquer, plus I don't know what the baking soda will do to the tin lining.
So I figured I'd simply use lacquer thinner. There being a bit of area
needing to be cleaned I figured I'd stop at my Lowes and buy some gloves.
The problem is none of the gloves they sell are recommended for lacquer
thinner!

Back at home on the web I learn that laminate gloves are the only type for
lacquer thinner and that they can only be bought in packs of 10 gloves for
$46-100! All I need in one glove.

What are my options here for hand protection?

Don. http://paleodiet.com/definition.htm (e-mail link at page bottom).

Use paint remover. Works fine. Clean off with very fine steel wool and
re-lacquer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2011 7:08 AM, HeyBub wrote:
DD_BobK wrote:

Why do you think you need hand protection for lacquer thinner?

http://www.dosha.org/msds/Lacquer%20Thinner.pdf

Okay, that says lacquer thinner is "irritating to... skin."

So is a mosquito.

I use lacquer thinner to wash paint off my hands. I've been dipping my
hands in lacquer thinner off and on for 50 years. I got it in my eyes,
but never drank or inhaled it. Well, might have inhaled a few gallons
painting cars and such.

I do note that this product is known to cause reproductive toxicity in
California, which is not a bad thing.

Amen to that.

--
Jack
Don't worry about your health... It'll go away!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2011 8:12 AM, Norminn wrote:

What are my options here for hand protection?

Don. http://paleodiet.com/definition.htm (e-mail link at page bottom).

Use paint remover. Works fine. Clean off with very fine steel wool and
re-lacquer.

If you use paint remover, wear eye protection. Get that crap in your
eyes and you are in for a bear of a ride...

--
Jack
Bad decisions make good stories.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DD_BobK wrote:

Why do you think you need hand protection for lacquer thinner?

http://www.dosha.org/msds/Lacquer%20Thinner.pdf

Okay, that says lacquer thinner is "irritating to... skin."

So is a mosquito.

I use lacquer thinner to wash paint off my hands. I've been dipping
my hands in lacquer thinner off and on for 50 years. I got it in my
eyes, but never drank or inhaled it. Well, might have inhaled a few
gallons painting cars and such.

I do note that this product is known to cause reproductive toxicity
in California, which is not a bad thing.

Amen to that.

yup. the world has turned into a bunch of pussiesg
I've used lacquer thinner, acetone, etc for years with no
gloves.....guess i"m gonna die

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 10:36:56 -0400, Jack Stein
wrote:

Use paint remover. Works fine. Clean off with very fine steel wool and
re-lacquer.

If you use paint remover, wear eye protection. Get that crap in your
eyes and you are in for a bear of a ride...

I caused my own _ass-a-dent_ one day. Sat a quart can of paint
stripper on the drive (getting ready to strip a floor lamp). The heat
from the desert sun caused the liquid to erupt from the spout as I
opened the can. That crap burns your eyes :-\

Lesson learned.

Minwax Furniture Refinisher vs. alcahol/mineral spirits/lacquer thinner blueman Woodworking 8 March 6th 10 12:10 AM
hammerite thinner news.virgin.net UK diy 12 February 13th 08 12:03 PM
BLO and Thinner Jimmy Woodworking 6 January 25th 07 09:33 AM
Gloves for Standard Lacquer Thinner Jay Pique Woodworking 6 October 10th 06 03:20 PM
What protective gloves for lacquer thinner? Fred Woodworking 11 August 27th 05 03:58 PM