Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Irene damage

There was a lot of speculation about the hype of this hurricane. I live
in downstate NY thirty miles from the long Island sound, so I had no
concern about storm surges. It was windy the night before the storm hit
my area, and it was windy after the storm left. The storm itself, in my
area seemed a non event. I lost power, phone, internet, and useable cell
service the morning the storm hit and just got them back two hours ago.
I have never seen so much tree damage and flooded basements in my life.
Even now, some areas of southern Connecticut have huge outages. All in
all, I think we were very lucky that this storm was only a weak cat1.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , RBM
wrote:

There was a lot of speculation about the hype of this hurricane. I live
in downstate NY thirty miles from the long Island sound, so I had no
concern about storm surges. It was windy the night before the storm hit
my area, and it was windy after the storm left. The storm itself, in my
area seemed a non event. I lost power, phone, internet, and useable cell
service the morning the storm hit and just got them back two hours ago.
I have never seen so much tree damage and flooded basements in my life.
Even now, some areas of southern Connecticut have huge outages. All in
all, I think we were very lucky that this storm was only a weak cat1.

The error of your assessment is obvious, I am surprised you overlooked
it. If it did not happen in NYC and DC, it did not happen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Evan" wrote

Sadly people expect unreasonable things...

The line crews are working 16 hour shifts. One town selectman in CT
complained that crews are not working 24 hours.

It is truly amazing to listen to the people and how ignorant they are of how
the system works. They are accusing special treatment when the Woodstock
Fairgrounds got power back before houses in the area. Well, they are on the
main road so when the main line comes back, whatddayaknow, the lights go on.
Not so on the impassable roads. where trees are down taking lines with them.
.. So they complain

There may be a little legitimacy that tree trimming has been cut back and
was a contributing factor. I don't have any hared facts or evidence though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 12:23*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Evan" wrote

Sadly people expect unreasonable things...

The line crews are working 16 hour shifts. *One town selectman in CT
complained that crews are not working 24 hours.

It is truly amazing to listen to the people and how ignorant they are of how
the system works. *They are accusing special treatment when the Woodstock
Fairgrounds got power back before houses in the area. *Well, they are on the
main road so when the main line comes back, whatddayaknow, the lights go on.
Not so on the impassable roads. where trees are down taking lines with them.
. So they complain

There may be a little legitimacy that tree trimming has been cut back and
was a contributing factor. *I don't have any hared facts or evidence though.

Yup... Asshole politicians...

How many hours a day have those little town DPW workers been putting
in
clearing trees in and around the downed power lines ?

Umm... None, the DPW cuts the trees off the street at the curb...
The
power company has to wait for the licensed tree companies to remove
the trees from the lines before any work can be done to restore
power...

All of these small town blowhards would have a lot more legitimacy if
their workers were out doing their share, but it is not being done as
no one has it in their budget...

Want a reliable power grid ? Build your own power plant in your own
small town and see how good a job you can do when 20% of the trees
in your town shed limbs after a hurricane...

Some of these selectmen and mayors of small towns expect to be
treated like kings and have their every whim attended to when there
are large commercial customers that were dark which meter more
power through their factories in a month than some of those towns
of 5,000 meter in six months total... Gotta start checking the grid
from the primaries and repairing as you go down through the layers
to the individual customers... That takes time...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 1:16*am, RBM wrote:
There was a lot of speculation about the hype of this hurricane. I live
in downstate NY thirty miles from the long Island sound, so I had no
concern about storm surges. It was windy the night before the storm hit
my area, and it was windy after the storm left. The storm itself, in my
area seemed a non event. I lost power, phone, internet, and useable cell
service the morning the storm hit and just got them back two hours ago.
I have never seen so much tree damage and flooded basements in my life.
Even now, some areas of southern Connecticut have huge outages. All in
all, I think we were very lucky that this storm was only a weak cat1.

Well now perhaps you will see the "benifits"of global warming.
Most Yanks keep their heads up their arses and are in denial.

This is set to become acommon event.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/3/2011 2:27 AM, harry wrote:
On Sep 3, 1:16 am, wrote:
There was a lot of speculation about the hype of this hurricane. I live
in downstate NY thirty miles from the long Island sound, so I had no
concern about storm surges. It was windy the night before the storm hit
my area, and it was windy after the storm left. The storm itself, in my
area seemed a non event. I lost power, phone, internet, and useable cell
service the morning the storm hit and just got them back two hours ago.
I have never seen so much tree damage and flooded basements in my life.
Even now, some areas of southern Connecticut have huge outages. All in
all, I think we were very lucky that this storm was only a weak cat1.

Well now perhaps you will see the "benifits"of global warming.
Most Yanks keep their heads up their arses and are in denial.

This is set to become acommon event.

Damn, don't tell me that. I was sure it was George Bush's fault

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/3/2011 12:23 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Evan" wrote

Sadly people expect unreasonable things...

The line crews are working 16 hour shifts. One town selectman in CT
complained that crews are not working 24 hours.

It is truly amazing to listen to the people and how ignorant they are of
how the system works. They are accusing special treatment when the
Woodstock Fairgrounds got power back before houses in the area. Well,
they are on the main road so when the main line comes back,
whatddayaknow, the lights go on. Not so on the impassable roads. where
trees are down taking lines with them. . So they complain

There may be a little legitimacy that tree trimming has been cut back
and was a contributing factor. I don't have any hared facts or evidence
though.

15 years ago, when I moved to this house, we had power outages lasting
around 4 hours, every couple of months. About a year later, NYSEG was
fined by the public service energy commission for not maintaining the
lines/ trees properly. At that time they made an obvious push to clean
up their system, and for around 10 years I had no power outages. In the
last few years, I've seen very little line maintenance , in fact very
few line crews from both ConEdison and NYSEG. In the last few years,
outages are becoming more prevalent and for longer durations. I just
think that these power companies keep their crews down to a bare
minimum, so when something major does occur, they're totally
defenseless. In the six days that my power was out, I saw one NYSEG
truck, on the sixth day. It took about 3 days to bring line crews from
other states and Canada to help with the repairs, and I have to say,
every crew I saw, worked like well oiled machines.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/3/2011 7:39 AM, RBM wrote:
(snip)

[...]

The obvious analogy is winter snow removal- you don't keep a equipment
fleet for the once-in-a-blue-moon blizzard situation, you equip and
staff for around 105% of your average requirements. No power company
keeps enough trucks and crews for hurricanes- the rates they would have
to charge the customers would be even higher. They depend on moving
their trucks/crews around, mutual aid agreements with nearby power
companies, and contracts with companies that do nothing but
installation/repair work. After the Memorial day storm here, most of the
crews setting new poles and lines here were of that last category.

As to keeping the right-of-ways clear- the local utilities had just done
a cycle of that, and got a lot of blowback from how brutal they were
about it in some neighborhoods, including situations where it would have
been cheaper to reroute the line, rather than kill some beautiful mature
specimen trees. So they are damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

And yes, those crews do work like well-oiled machines. They have to, or
somebody could end up dead, and they couldn't meet their daily quotas
for poles in the ground and wire strung. I remember how happy I was
after 4 days with no power, to be coming home from work and seeing six
crews in a row, working on the last big missing chunk of main feeder
that fed my neighborhood. This storm didn't just take down isolated
poles- there were half-mile sections where ALL the poles were snapped
and on the ground, and the wire a tangle of spaghetti. The repair was
more like a new build-out.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article om,
Earl wrote:

Would it have made you happy if it did?

Irrelvant, and no.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:

[...]

As far as tree trimming goes, I own property in CT and I have a letter
postmarked Mar 30 2011 notifying that they would be doing tree trimming
in the area, so it would seem that they have done recent maintenance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article om,
Earl wrote:

Would it have made you happy if it did?

Irrelvant, and no.

BTW; This was a dig on the media and others who tend think if
something doesn't happen in NYC or DC, it isn't worth their time.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JLK JLK is offline

"RBM" wrote in message
There was a lot of speculation about the hype of this hurricane. I live
in downstate NY thirty miles from the long Island sound, so I had no
concern about storm surges. It was windy the night before the storm hit
my area, and it was windy after the storm left. The storm itself, in my
area seemed a non event. I lost power, phone, internet, and useable cell
service the morning the storm hit and just got them back two hours ago. I
have never seen so much tree damage and flooded basements in my life.
Even now, some areas of southern Connecticut have huge outages. All in
all, I think we were very lucky that this storm was only a weak cat1.

You think you've got problems, the Earthquake did us in.
http://www.yaplakal.com/uploads/post...7660295241.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 20:54:05 -0400, Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article , RBM
wrote:

There was a lot of speculation about the hype of this hurricane. I live
in downstate NY thirty miles from the long Island sound, so I had no
concern about storm surges. It was windy the night before the storm hit
my area, and it was windy after the storm left. The storm itself, in my
area seemed a non event. I lost power, phone, internet, and useable cell
service the morning the storm hit and just got them back two hours ago.
I have never seen so much tree damage and flooded basements in my life.
Even now, some areas of southern Connecticut have huge outages. All in
all, I think we were very lucky that this storm was only a weak cat1.

The error of your assessment is obvious, I am surprised you overlooked
it. If it did not happen in NYC and DC, it did not happen.

We're supposed to get Lee tomorrow and Monday. It's moving so slow that those
closer to the gulf may see 20" of rain. It'll be a soggy one, Monday!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 15:17:46 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

On 9/3/2011 11:09 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In articleweydnc1xdrsspf_TnZ2dnUVZ_rednZ2d@earthlink .com,
Kurt wrote:

In raweb.com,
wrote:

Would it have made you happy if it did?

Irrelvant, and no.

BTW; This was a dig on the media and others who tend think if
something doesn't happen in NYC or DC, it isn't worth their time.

Don't forget Chicago and LA. They are rather self-contained universes,
awareness-wise, as well.

SF.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Middle finger noted.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Han" wrote in message
Kurt Ullman wrote in
m:

Smiley noted.

Did you see one?

The implied one ...

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote the following:
There was a lot of speculation about the hype of this hurricane. I live
in downstate NY thirty miles from the long Island sound, so I had no
concern about storm surges. It was windy the night before the storm hit
my area, and it was windy after the storm left. The storm itself, in my
area seemed a non event. I lost power, phone, internet, and useable cell
service the morning the storm hit and just got them back two hours ago.
I have never seen so much tree damage and flooded basements in my life.
Even now, some areas of southern Connecticut have huge outages. All in
all, I think we were very lucky that this storm was only a weak cat1.

On the NY side of the Hudson, there was a lot of outages and flooding.
Not from the Hudson River, but by all the streams and rivers that came
down from the Catskill Mtns. that were overwhelmed by the amount of
rain. Roads and Bridges flooded, and in some cases, destroyed.
Two towns were almost wiped out. Prattsville and Margaretville.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:j3udn6
:

Middle finger noted.

No middle finger, just a smiley ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:

RBM wrote the following:
[...]

I thought you meant Prattsville & Windham, because our newsfolks
haven't made it to Margaretville. I just looked at some news on
them.

Prattsville is effectively gone. The lower end of Windham was also
washed away. And on down below them the Schoharie flooded several
more, but with less force-- so the majority of folks kept their
houses- and were gifted a few feet of mud to shovel out. Middleburg &
Schoharie had 6 feet of water in their Main Streets. Further down,
Central Bridge, Esperance, and ???? [can't ever remember the next
hamlet's name] sustained some pretty severe damage.

And the Schoharie dumps into the Mohawk- where it registered record
highwater, flooded parts of a couple of cities and threatened a dam
below. Power is still out for a few folks.

Houses that had survived over 200 years were destroyed in this one.

Oh yeah-- and the first town to get flooded seems to have been
forgotten by our locals who are all covering Schoharie & Greene
county-- Fleishmann's in Delaware county got *no* warning and a couple
folks died.

That said-- RBM's remark that we were lucky, still applies. When I
look at where the Mohawk River was, and imagine what a few more inches
of rain might have done. . . Phew-

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

There was a lot of speculation about the hype of this hurricane. I live
in downstate NY thirty miles from the long Island sound, so I had no
concern about storm surges. It was windy the night before the storm hit my
area, and it was windy after the storm left. The storm itself, in my area
seemed a non event. I lost power, phone, internet, and useable cell
service the morning the storm hit and just got them back two hours ago. I
have never seen so much tree damage and flooded basements in my life. Even
now, some areas of southern Connecticut have huge outages. All in all, I
think we were very lucky that this storm was only a weak cat1.

*I also consider myself lucky to have gone through the storm with no damage,
flooding, or loss of power. I was very worried about my roof after hearing
the possible wind speeds to be expected. It was much less than predicted.
Unfortunately the usual areas in NJ that get flooding got hit very hard this
time. Some people in the Bergen/Passaic County area keep a small boat in
their backyard even though they are inland because they need it
occasionally.

I get annoyed at politicians and newscasters who question and threaten the
power companies. The utilities have a vested interest in getting power
restored ASAP. 500,000 homes and businesses without power means an equal
number of electric meters are not spinning and generating revenue.

Welcome back to civilization Roy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote

I get annoyed at politicians and newscasters who question and threaten the
power companies. The utilities have a vested interest in getting power
restored ASAP. 500,000 homes and businesses without power means an equal
number of electric meters are not spinning and generating revenue.

Welcome back to civilization Roy.

One town selectman was complaining that the utility crews were not working
around the clock. They guys are working 16 hour shifts. What more can they
do? People were complaining that the Woodstock Fair Grounds got power
before they did so it must have been preferential treatment. The grounds or
on a main road along a main feeder line. The people complaining are a
couple mils up the secondary roads covered with downed trees. Duh!

CT went from 800,000 without power to 4142 this morning. I think that is
amazing. I don't know if better tree trimming or such would have helped,
but they did a great job of getting people back quickly, IMO.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It was implied.

--
Christopher A. Young