Default Chipmunk Damage

I have a problem with chipmunks burrowing around the stoop at the front
entryway of my home. Go to this link to download the pictures:
http://members.cox.net/kvm.online.fi...amage+Pics.zip. The
pictures are in JPEG format and the total size of the zipped file is
almost 9MB.

What I would like to know is how I can repair the damage done and at
the same time implement something that would keep the little critters
from digging there again. I have my own ideas, but wanted to get
opinions from others as I have never had to deal with a problem like
this.

Thanks in advance for any useful advice that is offered.

Steve@carolinabreezehvac

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a problem with chipmunks burrowing around the stoop at the front
entryway of my home. Go to this link to download the pictures:
http://members.cox.net/kvm.online.fi...amage+Pics.zip. The
pictures are in JPEG format and the total size of the zipped file is
almost 9MB.

What I would like to know is how I can repair the damage done and at
the same time implement something that would keep the little critters
from digging there again. I have my own ideas, but wanted to get
opinions from others as I have never had to deal with a problem like
this.

Thanks in advance for any useful advice that is offered.

Around here now, the most popular form of chimunk control is the 17HMR. The
22LR is a close second.

They are also pretty good at ground squirrels, tree rats (squirrels) and
ground hogs. With the coyote population exploding here, we will see if the
17HMR is as good as they claim on those.
If you use the 20gr Hornaday hollow points and not the poly tipped HPs, they
tend to pass throgh them and not do any damage. Get the poly tipped 17or
18gr rounds and have a little exploding chipmunk party.

Steve,

I assume you're referring to using a gun. I live in an area where it
is illegal to discharge a gun. Additionally, it would not be a very
effective remedy as:

01) it doesn't address the damage already done
02) you would have to wait too long to shoot them
03) shooting them may not get all of them

I would rather come up with a way to discourage them from burrowing in
the first place. I have a Rat Zapper, an electronic device that
electrocutes chipmunks and other similar size rodents. I will use the
Rat Zapper to attempt to control the chipmunks in addition to whatever
method I decide to implement to discourage them from burrowing around
my stoop.

Steve@carolinabreezehvac

wrote in message
ups.com...
Steve,

I assume you're referring to using a gun. I live in an area where it
is illegal to discharge a gun. Additionally, it would not be a very
effective remedy as:

Ahh...sorry about that.

01) it doesn't address the damage already done

True, but still its fun to blast the little *******s..

02) you would have to wait too long to shoot them

03) shooting them may not get all of them

I would rather come up with a way to discourage them from burrowing in
the first place. I have a Rat Zapper, an electronic device that
electrocutes chipmunks and other similar size rodents. I will use the
Rat Zapper to attempt to control the chipmunks in addition to whatever
method I decide to implement to discourage them from burrowing around
my stoop.

A couple of my neighboors installed what he called a thumper...I have never
needed anything like it, but its supposed to send out these low frequency
thumps that is supposed to drive them out.
Must have worked...I got em all over here.

Joseph Meehan

I have a problem with chipmunks burrowing around the stoop at the
front entryway of my home. Go to this link to download the pictures:
http://members.cox.net/kvm.online.fi...amage+Pics.zip. The
pictures are in JPEG format and the total size of the zipped file is
almost 9MB.

What I would like to know is how I can repair the damage done and at
the same time implement something that would keep the little critters
from digging there again. I have my own ideas, but wanted to get
opinions from others as I have never had to deal with a problem like
this.

Thanks in advance for any useful advice that is offered.

They were around the area where I moved. I did have a few sneak into
the craw space and do some minor damage. I am planning on getting the craw
space concreted to eliminate that problem and help out with a couple of
others.

At this time the chipmunks have not been a problem or even seen for a
few years. We now have at least three neighbor cats who patrol the area,
two during the day (Pouncer & Honey) and one (Martin) at night. They seem
to have taken care of the little guys. I have also noticed owls and hawks
around and I would guess they get their share as well.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia's Muire duit

I was able to kill one last year using a Rat Zapper. The bait I used
(Pecan Surprise?) supposedly is irresistable to them, but the ants love
it too so I've kind of given up on using the bait. I tried pine nuts,
but when I checked on the Rat Zapper the next day, the pine nuts were
gone, but no dead chipmunk.

dicko wrote:
On 3 Apr 2005 21:31:56 -0700, wrote:

[...]

I tried a Rat Zapper on my munks and it didnt work. To save on
batteries, the zapper shuts down and blinks its red LED once it's
delivered the so called "fatal" electric shock. I found that the

munks
around my place would just scurry on out of the trap afterwards and
laugh at the tickling they just got. I never caught a single one,
though I saw several go in and come right back out.

The best way to get them is with a plain old snap rat trap.

dickm