I was able to kill one last year using a Rat Zapper. The bait I used
(Pecan Surprise?) supposedly is irresistable to them, but the ants love
it too so I've kind of given up on using the bait. I tried pine nuts,
but when I checked on the Rat Zapper the next day, the pine nuts were
gone, but no dead chipmunk.

dicko wrote:
On 3 Apr 2005 21:31:56 -0700, wrote:

Steve,

I assume you're referring to using a gun. I live in an area where

it
is illegal to discharge a gun. Additionally, it would not be a

very
effective remedy as:

01) it doesn't address the damage already done
02) you would have to wait too long to shoot them
03) shooting them may not get all of them

I would rather come up with a way to discourage them from burrowing

in
the first place. I have a Rat Zapper, an electronic device that
electrocutes chipmunks and other similar size rodents. I will use

the
Rat Zapper to attempt to control the chipmunks in addition to

whatever
method I decide to implement to discourage them from burrowing

around
my stoop.

I tried a Rat Zapper on my munks and it didnt work. To save on
batteries, the zapper shuts down and blinks its red LED once it's
delivered the so called "fatal" electric shock. I found that the

munks
around my place would just scurry on out of the trap afterwards and
laugh at the tickling they just got. I never caught a single one,
though I saw several go in and come right back out.

The best way to get them is with a plain old snap rat trap.

dickm