Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Irene Hype? Not for these people

ROCHESTER, Vt. (AP) — Coffins lie exposed at the village cemetery, having
popped out of the ground. ...

http://news.yahoo.com/cut-off-vt-tow...234001286.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

ROCHESTER, Vt. (AP) — Coffins lie exposed at the village cemetery, having
popped out of the ground. ...

http://news.yahoo.com/cut-off-vt-tow...234001286.html

A lot like the Catskills in NY. We're planning a trip through VT
next month & I was looking to see how we will get to where we're
going.

VT has a map of all their closed roads that puts a little perspective
on it-
http://www.511vt.com/default.asp?area=VT_statewide

4 roads closed on the route we usually take. It will be
interesting to see how many they can get back up in the next month.
lots of that state is 'up the mountain, down to the valley, across a
gorge, along the river, and back up again.' I

And most of their National Guard is overseas, so IL & NH are covering
for them.

We're right on the edge of the flood damage [and in an elevated spot]
- but the power company says it will be a few more days before
everyone has power restored.

Locally they are calling the flooding of the Mohawk in Schenectady a
500 year event.

The forecasters did pretty well on predicting the path early. Not
so well on intensity-- but I'd rather they erred on that side of
caution.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 13:45:40 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

ROCHESTER, Vt. (AP) — Coffins lie exposed at the village cemetery, having
popped out of the ground. ...

In New Orleans, folks are buried above ground level. After Katrina,
coffins were found in the MS. River.

Water is powerful. Las Vegas can get "flash floods". Homes tumble in
the wash. Car rescues and all that.

You did save the 'possum van

http://news.yahoo.com/cut-off-vt-tow...234001286.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-09-01, Oren wrote:

In New Orleans, folks are buried above ground level. After Katrina,
coffins were found in the MS. River.

See water table:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_table

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Oren wrote:

Water is powerful. Las Vegas can get "flash floods". Homes tumble in
the wash. Car rescues and all that.

I got caught in one in LV and just about went surfing behind IP. It
came through there like a tidal wave.

You did save the 'possum van

http://news.yahoo.com/cut-off-vt-tow...234001286.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 17:28:12 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

Oren wrote:

Water is powerful. Las Vegas can get "flash floods". Homes tumble in
the wash. Car rescues and all that.

I got caught in one in LV and just about went surfing behind IP. It
came through there like a tidal wave.

Those areas are pretty much fixed. For the past 15 years, good flood
control has come around... (tax dollars)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

wrote:

ROCHESTER, Vt. (AP) — Coffins lie exposed at the village cemetery,
having popped out of the ground. ...

In New Orleans, folks are buried above ground level. After Katrina,
coffins were found in the MS. River.

Water is powerful. Las Vegas can get "flash floods". Homes tumble in
the wash. Car rescues and all that.

You did save the 'possum van

Dare you ask? I'm ofeeeeended!

Duct taped the outside with foundation foam. Duct taped all door seams
(well, gaps, errr...make that crevices). Stuffed the underside with air
matresses and misc size leftover tires.

Disconnected battery for safety. In reality, I have to keep it
disconnected. When the key is in the whole lock spins. In the off
position somethin' is still on.

Still no inspection sticker :-( Can't find an inspector who gets liquored
up enough.

http://news.yahoo.com/cut-off-vt-tow...uses-234001286.
html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 03:56:20 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

You did save the 'possum van

Dare you ask? I'm ofeeeeended!

I was concerned about such a national treasure.

Duct taped the outside with foundation foam. Duct taped all door seams
(well, gaps, errr...make that crevices). Stuffed the underside with air
matresses and misc size leftover tires.

Okay.

Disconnected battery for safety. In reality, I have to keep it
disconnected. When the key is in the whole lock spins. In the off
position somethin' is still on.

Mount a 12 V disconnect switch on the dash.

Still no inspection sticker :-( Can't find an inspector who gets liquored
up enough.

Check out the female inspectors. Surely VT has women that are lumber
jacks. Maybe find some Green Mountain Boys.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

wrote:

You did save the 'possum van

Dare you ask? I'm ofeeeeended!

I was concerned about such a national treasure.

"National treasure"... You're da man. My duct tape is your duct tape bro.

Duct taped the outside with foundation foam. Duct taped all door seams
(well, gaps, errr...make that crevices). Stuffed the underside with
air matresses and misc size leftover tires.

Okay.

Disconnected battery for safety. In reality, I have to keep it
disconnected. When the key is in the whole lock spins. In the off
position somethin' is still on.

Mount a 12 V disconnect switch on the dash.

I'se seen those via HF. Do you think the vehicle inspector would have
one?

:-)

Still no inspection sticker :-( Can't find an inspector who gets
liquored up enough.

Check out the female inspectors. Surely VT has women that are lumber
jacks. Maybe find some Green Mountain Boys.

Gonna have to take a few pics of the Possum Van and post some time. It is
for real.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 22:43:36 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

You did save the 'possum van

Dare you ask? I'm ofeeeeended!

I was concerned about such a national treasure.

"National treasure"... You're da man. My duct tape is your duct tape bro.

I'll take two roles of University of Miami duct tape.

....' College Colors Day on Friday, September 2nd.