Old August 30th 11, 05:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default hard to clean Plastic Shower Floors

I have a 10 year old house, with 2 showers,
and I'm having a hard time cleaning the plastic floors.
It's some sort of space age plastic, that stains easily.

I think I've tried almost everything, including a little bleach.
Any ideas?

I do have some toilet cleaner that has acid [The Works],
but I'm afraid to try this stuff.

thank, marc

[i posted this over in alt.home.cleaning, but i didn't realize that group had such little use]

Old August 30th 11, 06:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 10:55*am, marco wrote:
I have a 10 year old house, with 2 showers,
and I'm having a hard time cleaning the plastic floors.
It's some sort of space age plastic, that stains easily.

I think I've tried almost everything, including a little bleach.
Any ideas?

I do have some toilet cleaner that has acid [The Works],
but I'm afraid to try this stuff.

thank, marc

[i posted this over in alt.home.cleaning, but i didn't realize that group had such little use]

Bleach and some scouring power will probably work, but the floors of
the shower will restain again quickly if you don't take some permanent
action to resurface it.I would go to a local hardware store - not a
big box - and see what they have in the paint dept in the nature of
epoxy floors. Is the floor COMPLETELY rigid, so you could tile it?
Old August 30th 11, 10:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 08:55:42 -0700 (PDT), marco
wrote:

I have a 10 year old house, with 2 showers,
and I'm having a hard time cleaning the plastic floors.
It's some sort of space age plastic, that stains easily.

I think I've tried almost everything, including a little bleach.
Any ideas?

I'd try Trisodium Phosphate (TSP) in the red box, not the (Phosphate
Free -- -- green box).

Make a paste, cover the surface and allow the paste to work an hour or
two. Rinse clean. If a second try is needed go for it...

http://www.savogran.com/Retail_Products/Cleaning_Products/cleaning_products.html
Old August 30th 11, 10:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair

thanks, i will try the scouring bleach

i don't mind it getting stained again, if i just know how to clean it

the floor is like on of those low Tubs, so tile is out

painting doesn't sound like a good option to me

marc
Old August 31st 11, 12:04 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/30/2011 4:35 PM, marco wrote:
thanks, i will try the scouring bleach

i don't mind it getting stained again, if i just know how to clean it

the floor is like on of those low Tubs, so tile is out

painting doesn't sound like a good option to me

marc

Abrasive will remove plastic. It's probably a gel coat and if too much
is removed and you get down to the composite, it will probably stain
even worse. You need to talk to the manufacturer or someone that sells
a kit for this job.

Old August 31st 11, 12:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"marco" wrote in message
I have a 10 year old house, with 2 showers,
and I'm having a hard time cleaning the plastic floors.
It's some sort of space age plastic, that stains easily.

I think I've tried almost everything, including a little bleach.
Any ideas?

I do have some toilet cleaner that has acid [The Works],
but I'm afraid to try this stuff.

thank, marc

[i posted this over in alt.home.cleaning, but i didn't realize that group
had such little use]

Epoxy like used on garage floors??? ww

Old August 31st 11, 12:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 6:10*pm, "WW" wrote:
"marco" wrote in message

I have a 10 year old house, with 2 showers,
and I'm having a hard time cleaning the plastic floors.
It's some sort of space age plastic, that stains easily.

I think I've tried almost everything, including a little bleach.
Any ideas?

I do have some toilet cleaner that has acid [The Works],
but I'm afraid to try this stuff.

thank, marc

[i posted this over in alt.home.cleaning, but i didn't realize that group
had such little use]

Epoxy like used on garage floors??? *ww

clean with soap scum remover
Old August 31st 11, 12:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 15:30:16 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On Aug 30, 6:10*pm, "WW" wrote:
"marco" wrote in message

I have a 10 year old house, with 2 showers,
and I'm having a hard time cleaning the plastic floors.
It's some sort of space age plastic, that stains easily.

I think I've tried almost everything, including a little bleach.
Any ideas?

I do have some toilet cleaner that has acid [The Works],
but I'm afraid to try this stuff.

thank, marc

[i posted this over in alt.home.cleaning, but i didn't realize that group
had such little use]

Epoxy like used on garage floors??? *ww

clean with soap scum remover

Cover it with a mat. They sell shower floor mats.

--Vic
Old August 31st 11, 01:27 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/30/2011 11:55 AM, marco wrote:
I have a 10 year old house, with 2 showers,
and I'm having a hard time cleaning the plastic floors.
It's some sort of space age plastic, that stains easily.

I think I've tried almost everything, including a little bleach.
Any ideas?

I do have some toilet cleaner that has acid [The Works],
but I'm afraid to try this stuff.

thank, marc

[i posted this over in alt.home.cleaning, but i didn't realize that group had such little use]

I've had good luck with the Rust-X stuff, basically oxalic acid
crystals. But if the surface glaze is gone, it will stain again quickly.
You can either clear-coat it, or try to keep a good coat of auto wax on
it. (learned that trick years ago living in cheap apartments with
plastic shower stalls.) If you have the pebble-texture finish on floor,
it won't be too slippery, but you should probably be the first user to
test it, and maybe use a tub mat if it feels dangerous.

--
aem sends...
Old August 31st 11, 02:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 19:27:08 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

[...]

Auto wax does wonders for fiberglass tubs, too. It's a great way to spiff
them up before a home sale.

cleaning hard floors ed UK diy 11 December 27th 07 04:46 PM
Home Depot hard wood floors [email protected] Home Ownership 1 September 26th 06 05:42 PM
Recommend good all around vacuum for carpet/hard floors Boxhead Home Repair 3 September 18th 06 03:43 PM
Best vacuum for hard timber floors Graham Saad Home Ownership 27 October 4th 05 02:13 PM
solution to clean polyurethaned wood floors Eric and Megan Swope Home Repair 2 September 14th 05 03:41 PM