Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hard to clean Plastic Shower Floors

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 19:27:08 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

On 8/30/2011 11:55 AM, marco wrote:
I have a 10 year old house, with 2 showers,
and I'm having a hard time cleaning the plastic floors.
It's some sort of space age plastic, that stains easily.

I think I've tried almost everything, including a little bleach.
Any ideas?

I do have some toilet cleaner that has acid [The Works],
but I'm afraid to try this stuff.

thank, marc

[i posted this over in alt.home.cleaning, but i didn't realize that group had such little use]

I've had good luck with the Rust-X stuff, basically oxalic acid
crystals. But if the surface glaze is gone, it will stain again quickly.
You can either clear-coat it, or try to keep a good coat of auto wax on
it. (learned that trick years ago living in cheap apartments with
plastic shower stalls.) If you have the pebble-texture finish on floor,
it won't be too slippery, but you should probably be the first user to
test it, and maybe use a tub mat if it feels dangerous.

Auto wax does wonders for fiberglass tubs, too. It's a great way to spiff
them up before a home sale.