Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hard to clean Plastic Shower Floors

I have a 10 year old house, with 2 showers,
and I'm having a hard time cleaning the plastic floors.
It's some sort of space age plastic, that stains easily.

I think I've tried almost everything, including a little bleach.
Any ideas?

I do have some toilet cleaner that has acid [The Works],
but I'm afraid to try this stuff.

thank, marc

[i posted this over in alt.home.cleaning, but i didn't realize that group had such little use]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 10:55*am, marco wrote:
I have a 10 year old house, with 2 showers,
and I'm having a hard time cleaning the plastic floors.
It's some sort of space age plastic, that stains easily.

I think I've tried almost everything, including a little bleach.
Any ideas?

I do have some toilet cleaner that has acid [The Works],
but I'm afraid to try this stuff.

thank, marc

[i posted this over in alt.home.cleaning, but i didn't realize that group had such little use]

Bleach and some scouring power will probably work, but the floors of
the shower will restain again quickly if you don't take some permanent
action to resurface it.I would go to a local hardware store - not a
big box - and see what they have in the paint dept in the nature of
epoxy floors. Is the floor COMPLETELY rigid, so you could tile it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 08:55:42 -0700 (PDT), marco
wrote:

I have a 10 year old house, with 2 showers,
and I'm having a hard time cleaning the plastic floors.
It's some sort of space age plastic, that stains easily.

I think I've tried almost everything, including a little bleach.
Any ideas?

I'd try Trisodium Phosphate (TSP) in the red box, not the (Phosphate
Free -- -- green box).

Make a paste, cover the surface and allow the paste to work an hour or
two. Rinse clean. If a second try is needed go for it...

http://www.savogran.com/Retail_Products/Cleaning_Products/cleaning_products.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

thanks, i will try the scouring bleach

i don't mind it getting stained again, if i just know how to clean it

the floor is like on of those low Tubs, so tile is out

painting doesn't sound like a good option to me

marc
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/30/2011 4:35 PM, marco wrote:
thanks, i will try the scouring bleach

i don't mind it getting stained again, if i just know how to clean it

the floor is like on of those low Tubs, so tile is out

painting doesn't sound like a good option to me

marc

Abrasive will remove plastic. It's probably a gel coat and if too much
is removed and you get down to the composite, it will probably stain
even worse. You need to talk to the manufacturer or someone that sells
a kit for this job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"marco" wrote in message
I have a 10 year old house, with 2 showers,
and I'm having a hard time cleaning the plastic floors.
It's some sort of space age plastic, that stains easily.

I think I've tried almost everything, including a little bleach.
Any ideas?

I do have some toilet cleaner that has acid [The Works],
but I'm afraid to try this stuff.

thank, marc

[i posted this over in alt.home.cleaning, but i didn't realize that group
had such little use]

Epoxy like used on garage floors??? ww

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 6:10*pm, "WW" wrote:
"marco" wrote in message

I have a 10 year old house, with 2 showers,
and I'm having a hard time cleaning the plastic floors.
It's some sort of space age plastic, that stains easily.

I think I've tried almost everything, including a little bleach.
Any ideas?

I do have some toilet cleaner that has acid [The Works],
but I'm afraid to try this stuff.

thank, marc

[i posted this over in alt.home.cleaning, but i didn't realize that group
had such little use]

Epoxy like used on garage floors??? *ww

clean with soap scum remover
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 15:30:16 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On Aug 30, 6:10Â*pm, "WW" wrote:
"marco" wrote in message

I have a 10 year old house, with 2 showers,
and I'm having a hard time cleaning the plastic floors.
It's some sort of space age plastic, that stains easily.

I think I've tried almost everything, including a little bleach.
Any ideas?

I do have some toilet cleaner that has acid [The Works],
but I'm afraid to try this stuff.

thank, marc

[i posted this over in alt.home.cleaning, but i didn't realize that group
had such little use]

Epoxy like used on garage floors??? Â*ww

clean with soap scum remover

Cover it with a mat. They sell shower floor mats.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/30/2011 11:55 AM, marco wrote:
I have a 10 year old house, with 2 showers,
and I'm having a hard time cleaning the plastic floors.
It's some sort of space age plastic, that stains easily.

I think I've tried almost everything, including a little bleach.
Any ideas?

I do have some toilet cleaner that has acid [The Works],
but I'm afraid to try this stuff.

thank, marc

[i posted this over in alt.home.cleaning, but i didn't realize that group had such little use]

I've had good luck with the Rust-X stuff, basically oxalic acid
crystals. But if the surface glaze is gone, it will stain again quickly.
You can either clear-coat it, or try to keep a good coat of auto wax on
it. (learned that trick years ago living in cheap apartments with
plastic shower stalls.) If you have the pebble-texture finish on floor,
it won't be too slippery, but you should probably be the first user to
test it, and maybe use a tub mat if it feels dangerous.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 19:27:08 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

[...]

Auto wax does wonders for fiberglass tubs, too. It's a great way to spiff
them up before a home sale.

Posted to alt.home.repair

marco wrote:

I have a 10 year old house, with 2 showers,
and I'm having a hard time cleaning the plastic floors.
It's some sort of space age plastic, that stains easily.

I think I've tried almost everything, including a little bleach.
Any ideas?

I do have some toilet cleaner that has acid [The Works],
but I'm afraid to try this stuff.

In a previous house we had a shower base made out of plastic. Forgot the
tradename - something stone. Glaze wore off after a couple of years and made it
impossible to clean. Ended up having a tub repair guy do an acrylic refinish.
That looked great again for a few years, but was starting to wear when we sold
the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Aug 30, 6:10*pm, "WW" wrote:
"marco" wrote in message

I have a 10 year old house, with 2 showers,
and I'm having a hard time cleaning the plastic floors.
It's some sort of space age plastic, that stains easily.

I think I've tried almost everything, including a little bleach.
Any ideas?

I do have some toilet cleaner that has acid [The Works],
but I'm afraid to try this stuff.

thank, marc

[i posted this over in alt.home.cleaning, but i didn't realize that group
had such little use]

Epoxy like used on garage floors??? *ww

clean with soap scum remover

Cover it with a mat. *They sell shower floor mats.

--Vic- Hide quoted text -

I think that's the easiest after an initial cleaning, non-skid and
probably looks pretty goo too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

thanks for all the good ideas to try

it just occured to me it might be Fiberglass,
not plastic [they look similar]
it has a bumpy stone feel to it

and a Mat is a good idea [i have a mat in the bathtub]
my bathtub is metal

marc
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/31/2011 10:53 AM, marco wrote:
thanks for all the good ideas to try

it just occured to me it might be Fiberglass,
not plastic [they look similar]
it has a bumpy stone feel to it

and a Mat is a good idea [i have a mat in the bathtub]
my bathtub is metal

marc

If the drain is in the middle of the shower floor (like mine) you would
need to cut a hole in the mat or mop up a flood

Comet spray gel (the kind with bleach) gets rid of the red mold that
forms under the faucets and the black mold that loves it under the wall
lip where it joins the floor pan. Apply to a dry surface (it sticks
better) and let it stand overnight. But its not cheap and the dirt and
soap scum where you stand needs scrubbed anyway so just mix your own
solution as a gallon of bleach is cheap and goes along way (one part
bleach to three parts water in a used spray bottle). After the solution
drys the next day I use a toilet brush (its easier on the back and does
a better job) on the wall lip and a regular handled scrub brush for the
floor pan. Get naked, pull the curtain/door, scrub and rinse everything
with a small pail.

John
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 31, 9:25*am, John wrote:
[...]

Sounds like this expensive Comet spray gel doesn't do any better than
just bleach. I used to get a Zep ? mold remover from Home Despot,
but it never did a great job. So one day I said the hell with it and
just used plain bleach, which worked great.

HB.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/30/2011 11:55 AM, marco wrote:
I have a 10 year old house, with 2 showers,
and I'm having a hard time cleaning the plastic floors.
It's some sort of space age plastic, that stains easily.

I think I've tried almost everything, including a little bleach.
Any ideas?

I do have some toilet cleaner that has acid [The Works],
but I'm afraid to try this stuff.

My wife uses The Works, not the green crap the regular toilet stuff. A
couple of years ago, our pool had a nasty stain along the walls and
bottom. Tried about everything on it and nothing even touched it. Wife
brought out a spray bottle of the works and it melted it off with ease.

I went to every damned store around, and all they had was the green
crap. Finally, I looked it up on the internet and ACE hardware had it.
I called them, and bought every bottle they had, which was in the back
room, they didn't have any sitting out? Anywho, it doesn't hurt our
plastic shower at all, so give it a shot.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

i may still try The Works, as a last resort.

in Las Vegas,
they have "The Works" at one of the one Dollar stores

marc
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 10:35:34 -0700 (PDT), marco
wrote:

i may still try The Works, as a last resort.

in Las Vegas,
they have "The Works" at one of the one Dollar stores

marc

You live in Las Vegas?

cleaning hard floors ed UK diy 11 December 27th 07 04:46 PM
Home Depot hard wood floors [email protected] Home Ownership 1 September 26th 06 05:42 PM
Recommend good all around vacuum for carpet/hard floors Boxhead Home Repair 3 September 18th 06 03:43 PM
Best vacuum for hard timber floors Graham Saad Home Ownership 27 October 4th 05 02:13 PM
solution to clean polyurethaned wood floors Eric and Megan Swope Home Repair 2 September 14th 05 03:41 PM