Posted to alt.home.repair

Default garage door opener

I have a Liftmaster 1991 1/3 hp opener, it reverses when it hits
bottom, I tightened the chain and have tried playing with down force
and reducing the travel adjustments but have had no luck even backing
off travel maybe 3 turns, any ideas? Could it be broken to the point
it cant be adjusted and needs replacing, liftmaster doesnt support
earlier than 93 model year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 29, 3:11*pm, ransley wrote:
I have a Liftmaster 1991 1/3 hp opener, it reverses when it hits
bottom, I tightened the chain and have tried playing with down force
and reducing the travel adjustments but have had no luck even backing
off travel maybe 3 turns, any ideas? Could it be broken to the point
it cant be adjusted and needs replacing, *liftmaster doesnt support
earlier than 93 model year.

I'd open it up and look at the travel adjustment. If it's like mine
it has plastic screws that moves where little switches are tripped.
Switch probably isn't closing. I can adjust mine to stop inches
before the bottom, which I do sometimes to leave a cat opening. These
old ones do not have the safety beams so they use excess force to
reverse. If it thinks it has not reached the bottom because the
bottom limit switch is bad it will reverse when it can't go down any
more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 29, 2:22*pm, jamesgangnc wrote:
[...]

That sounds right, is it easy to replace the switch, turning both
directions doesnt seems to make any difference.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You are right the stop switch is broke, the plastic holding the metal
bar broke,
What to do. I could glue it, what glue would hold?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 29, 4:41*pm, ransley wrote:
[...]

What to do. I could glue it, what glue would hold?- Hide quoted text -

Use small machine screw or contact any garage door opener firm with
make and model and see if they will sell you the part.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 29, 5:41*pm, ransley wrote:
[...]

I'd try superglue or pvc pipe glue. But I agree with your concern,
plastic is hard to successfully glue. Can you replace it with a metal
bracket? Or like Bob suggests, drill a small hole through it and use
a tiny bolt or screw.

I've had some success finding obsolete parts on ebay. You could also
watch craigs list for a used one cheap as a parts source.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 6:13*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
[...]

If I could wrap it with shrink wrap tape after using your idea of PVC
glue it might work,
I have it working now fine and held on with alligator clamps, yes a
scew is an idea but not much plastic there or room to work on it,
thats the hard part, the area of work
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 8:46*am, ransley wrote:
[...]

thats the hard part, the area of work- Hide quoted text -

You'll probably need to remove it to make a really good fix.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 7:46*am, ransley wrote:
[...]

would a big blob of JBWeld epoxy hold it together?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 29, 2:41*pm, ransley wrote:
[...]

liftmaster doesnt support

earlier than 93 model year.

You mention

http://www.1stdooropeners.com/liftchaindrparts.htm

scroll down about 1/3 page....is this the part?

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 31, 12:45*am, DD_BobK wrote:
[...]

I think it's different it has 3 long plastisol screws
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 3:18*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
[...]

Maybe but now I have 2 alligator clips holding it ok, maybe epoxy and
clips
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 31, 10:27*am, ransley wrote:
On Aug 30, 3:18*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

[...]

clips- Hide quoted text -

Whatever works - Now that you know the problem, if it happens again
when the epoxy and alligator clips fail you will know what to do.
Only concern is if the clips and epoxy fail, will they damage anything
else in the mechanism.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No it's at the bottom of the unit , it just falls on the case, I saw
them on eBay for 12$ so I will get one