Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to board up your windows...

....and other stuff in advance of the hurricane.

I especially liked the idea of letting your washer fill, then shutting it
off. Viola! Some gallons of potable water.

Too, putting your valuable stuff inside the dish washer (it's bolted down
and waterproof) is a clever thought.

http://coalitionoftheswilling.net/?p=15780

Aside:
I don't think I've ever seen a hurricane-preparedness checklist that
included sufficient ammunition...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

...and other stuff in advance of the hurricane.

I especially liked the idea of letting your washer fill, then shutting it
off. Viola! Some gallons of potable water.

A viola is a stringed musical instrument, similar to a violin.

Too, putting your valuable stuff inside the dish washer (it's bolted down
and waterproof) is a clever thought.

http://coalitionoftheswilling.net/?p=15780

Aside:
I don't think I've ever seen a hurricane-preparedness checklist that
included sufficient ammunition...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/26/2011 8:36 AM, Smitty Two wrote:
In article1ZKdnaxy1I8EC8rTnZ2dnUVZ_qudnZ2d@earthlink .com,
wrote:

...and other stuff in advance of the hurricane.

I especially liked the idea of letting your washer fill, then shutting it
off. Viola! Some gallons of potable water.

A viola is a stringed musical instrument, similar to a violin.

You could use it as a float? ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/26/2011 7:50 AM, HeyBub wrote:
...and other stuff in advance of the hurricane.

I especially liked the idea of letting your washer fill, then shutting it
off. Viola! Some gallons of potable water.

Too, putting your valuable stuff inside the dish washer (it's bolted down
and waterproof) is a clever thought.

http://coalitionoftheswilling.net/?p=15780

Aside:
I don't think I've ever seen a hurricane-preparedness checklist that
included sufficient ammunition...

I would use the water in a washing machine for washing my face, body,
dishes and silverware but I'm not going to drink it. There is enough
detergent residue left in it to cause stomach upset if you drink it.
Perhaps a large garbage bag as a liner for the washer to hold water
and several in the bath tub to keep the water clean. The dishwasher
safe is a cool idea. Perhaps some cheap decoy guns and ammunition
for machine gun wielding government types to seize while your good
real firearms remain hidden. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

...and other stuff in advance of the hurricane.

I especially liked the idea of letting your washer fill, then
shutting it off. Viola! Some gallons of potable water.

A viola is a stringed musical instrument, similar to a violin.

Thank you for the correction. I never was too good at German spelling (too
many umlauts).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 26, 10:55*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote:

...and other stuff in advance of the hurricane.

I especially liked the idea of letting your washer fill, then
shutting it off. Viola! Some gallons of potable water.

A viola is a stringed musical instrument, similar to a violin.

Thank you for the correction. I never was too good at German spelling (too
many umlauts).

Try the pilsner next time...and turning some pages instead of bending
your elbow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 26, 8:50*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

...and other stuff in advance of the hurricane.

Aside:
I don't think I've ever seen a hurricane-preparedness checklist that
included sufficient ammunition...

If you boarded up the house right in the first place you wouldn't need
to blast your way out when it was over. Most people would just turn
the knob and open the door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote the following:
...and other stuff in advance of the hurricane.

I especially liked the idea of letting your washer fill, then shutting it
off. Viola! Some gallons of potable water.

Too, putting your valuable stuff inside the dish washer (it's bolted down
and waterproof) is a clever thought.

http://coalitionoftheswilling.net/?p=15780

Aside:
I don't think I've ever seen a hurricane-preparedness checklist that
included sufficient ammunition...

Most gun owners have sufficient ammunition at all times.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote the following:
Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

...and other stuff in advance of the hurricane.

I especially liked the idea of letting your washer fill, then
shutting it off. Viola! Some gallons of potable water.

A viola is a stringed musical instrument, similar to a violin.

Thank you for the correction. I never was too good at German spelling (too
many umlauts).

Voila is French and is pronounced vwahlah.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

On Aug 26, 11:57*am, willshak wrote:
HeyBub wrote the following:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

...and other stuff in advance of the hurricane.

I especially liked the idea of letting your washer fill, then
shutting it off. Viola! Some gallons of potable water.
A viola is a stringed musical instrument, similar to a violin.

Thank you for the correction. I never was too good at German spelling (too
many umlauts).

Voila is French and is pronounced vwahlah.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

The idea of the dishwater being "bolted" down is a joke. most
dishwashers are screwed into the bottom of a countertop with just a
half inch screw holding it in place. The countertop is probably made
up of partical board, so when wet it will barely hold those screws.

Robin

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 26, 2:10*pm, rlz wrote:

The idea of the dishwater being "bolted" down is a joke. *most
dishwashers are screwed into the bottom of a countertop with just a
half inch screw holding it in place. *The countertop is probably made
up of partical board, so when wet it will barely hold those screws.

Shhh! Don't tell the crooks that!

Posted to alt.home.repair

rlz wrote the following:
On Aug 26, 11:57 am, willshak wrote:
HeyBub wrote the following:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:
...and other stuff in advance of the hurricane.
I especially liked the idea of letting your washer fill, then
shutting it off. Viola! Some gallons of potable water.
A viola is a stringed musical instrument, similar to a violin.
Thank you for the correction. I never was too good at German spelling (too
many umlauts).

Voila is French and is pronounced vwahlah.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

The idea of the dishwater being "bolted" down is a joke. most
dishwashers are screwed into the bottom of a countertop with just a
half inch screw holding it in place. The countertop is probably made
up of partical board, so when wet it will barely hold those screws.

Robin

And some. like mine, drop down a tad under the counter because the
flooring only goes up to the cabinet fronts.
Even with the screws out, it takes a little effort to pull it out.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

The ones I've seen, that's about right. Another urban legend
bites the dust.

Today, I'm busy refilling all my water bottles. dump them
out in the tub, and refill. Later today, may go get some
fresh gasoline for the generator.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"rlz" wrote in message

The idea of the dishwater being "bolted" down is a joke.
most
dishwashers are screwed into the bottom of a countertop with
just a
half inch screw holding it in place. The countertop is
probably made
up of partical board, so when wet it will barely hold those
screws.

Robin

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...
The ones I've seen, that's about right. Another urban legend
bites the dust.

Today, I'm busy refilling all my water bottles. dump them
out in the tub, and refill. Later today, may go get some
fresh gasoline for the generator.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I'll say a prayer for you.

Dr. Rev. Daisy Mae Johnson
"Bible Thumpin' Blonde"
http://www.landoverbaptist.org/thest.../daisymae.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 26, 3:16*pm, willshak wrote:
rlz wrote the following:

On Aug 26, 11:57 am, willshak wrote:
HeyBub wrote the following:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

Don't worry, the storm surge from the advancing Hurricane is
energetic enough to move the contents of the average kitchen
around just fine... Your "waterproof" dishwasher "safe" might
just as well be carried away out to sea...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 06:36:45 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

...and other stuff in advance of the hurricane.

I especially liked the idea of letting your washer fill, then shutting it
off. Viola! Some gallons of potable water.

A viola is a stringed musical instrument, similar to a violin.

Viola was my aunt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

rlz wrote the following:

On Aug 26, 11:57 am, willshak wrote:
HeyBub wrote the following:
Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

I'm 500 feet above sea level, and if I travel in any direction from my
house it is downhill. I have mountains between me and the Hudson River,
which is well inland of the Atlantic at this location. Not only that,
but a cold front is coming in from the NW which should arrive at the
same time as the hurricane, or sooner, pushing it further out into the
Atlantic.
The weather channel is saying that we will have a tropical storm.
If flood waters ever get as high as my house, someone better be building
an Ark.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 26, 6:36*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*"HeyBub" wrote:
...and other stuff in advance of the hurricane.

I especially liked the idea of letting your washer fill, then shutting it
off. Viola! Some gallons of potable water.

A viola is a stringed musical instrument, similar to a violin.

Wonder if this is too subtle.

HB

Too, putting your valuable stuff inside the dish washer (it's bolted down
and waterproof) is a clever thought.

http://coalitionoftheswilling.net/?p=15780

Aside:
I don't think I've ever seen a hurricane-preparedness checklist that
included sufficient ammunition...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 26, 7:55*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

...and other stuff in advance of the hurricane.

I especially liked the idea of letting your washer fill, then
shutting it off. Viola! Some gallons of potable water.

A viola is a stringed musical instrument, similar to a violin.

Thank you for the correction. I never was too good at German spelling (too
many umlauts).

Er.... no German spelling involved.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 26, 11:10*am, rlz wrote:
On Aug 26, 11:57*am, willshak wrote:

HeyBub wrote the following:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

...and other stuff in advance of the hurricane.

I especially liked the idea of letting your washer fill, then
shutting it off. Viola! Some gallons of potable water.
A viola is a stringed musical instrument, similar to a violin.

Thank you for the correction. I never was too good at German spelling (too
many umlauts).

Voila is French and is pronounced vwahlah.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

The idea of the dishwater being "bolted" down is a joke. *most
dishwashers are screwed into the bottom of a countertop with just a
half inch screw holding it in place. *The countertop is probably made
up of partical

particle

board, so when wet it will barely hold those screws.

HB

Robin

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
...and other stuff in advance of the hurricane.

Aside:
I don't think I've ever seen a hurricane-preparedness checklist that
included sufficient ammunition...

It's not possible to kill a hurricane by shooting it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 21:36:28 -0400, "Tony Hwang" wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
om...
...and other stuff in advance of the hurricane.

Aside:
I don't think I've ever seen a hurricane-preparedness checklist that
included sufficient ammunition...

It's not possible to kill a hurricane by shooting it.

Perhaps not but looters are easy pickings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 26, 5:02*pm, "
wrote:
On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 06:36:45 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

...and other stuff in advance of the hurricane.

I especially liked the idea of letting your washer fill, then shutting it
off. Viola! Some gallons of potable water.

A viola is a stringed musical instrument, similar to a violin.

Viola was my aunt.

I thought it was a small pansy-shaped flower
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/27/2011 1:00 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 18:04:22 -0400,
wrote:

Evan wrote the following:
On Aug 26, 3:16 pm, wrote:
rlz wrote the following:

On Aug 26, 11:57 am, wrote:
HeyBub wrote the following:
Smitty Two wrote:
In article1ZKdnaxy1I8EC8rTnZ2dnUVZ_qudn...@earthlink .com,
wrote:
[...]

The people who need to worry about surge are in river bottom land,
barrier islands and in low flat places like most of Florida. If you
can get 26 feet ASL you are probably OK.
New Orleans was the worst case, they were below sea level but you have
the same issue in Lower Manhattan. You don't think about New York
being below sea level but so much of it is below ground that they can
have serious problems. All it would take is to have the entrances to
the subway in the battery neighborhood go under water. They can handle
a lot of water but I doubt they could handle being totally submerged,
particularly if the power is out.

And as we approach the tenth anniversary of the towers being brought
down, and to bring in an AHR angle, ISTR that checking and reinforcing
the slurry wall perimeters of the WTC foundation footprint was one of
the first things they did post-attack, lest the Hudson River fill the
hole and the attached subway tunnels.

They still often find surprises when they dig holes in NYC. It is almost
starting to be an old city, and it is only in recent decades that the
'as built' documentation is very complete.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Subway and all transit services are being halted in the greater NYC area
well in advance of the real bad weather, precisely because of the
inadequate infrastructure (as elsewhere). I think they really expect the
subway tunnels to flood, as well as railyards, etc. I used to ride
NJTransit into Hoboken or NYC, and from here the tracks go over a low
bridge and along wetlands in direct connection with the ocean, running
maybe 3 feet above the mean high water mark. I often wonder why they built
those tracks that low, when they had to put them largely on piles anyway a
few years back when the Secaucus interchange became operational.

It's getting grey and dark at the moment in North Jersey, but no rain or
wind yet. Have to get the patio furniture in ...

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Han wrote:

It's getting grey and dark at the moment in North Jersey, but no rain or
wind yet. Have to get the patio furniture in ...

You have to evacuate?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

And as we approach the tenth anniversary of the towers being brought
down, and to bring in an AHR angle, ISTR that checking and reinforcing
the slurry wall perimeters of the WTC foundation footprint was one of
the first things they did post-attack, lest the Hudson River fill the
hole and the attached subway tunnels.

They still often find surprises when they dig holes in NYC. It is almost
starting to be an old city, and it is only in recent decades that the
'as built' documentation is very complete.

It isn't just subways down there, either. IIRC from a documentary I saw
a few years ago, there are layers and layers and layers of underground
utilities, going down the equivalent of several stories. I don't know
how susceptible they are to flooding.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Kurt Ullman wrote in
m:

In article ,
Han wrote:

It's getting grey and dark at the moment in North Jersey, but no rain
or wind yet. Have to get the patio furniture in ...

You have to evacuate?

No, not at all, but those light aluminum chairs might fly in a hurricane,
and I like my windows the way they are. see abpw.

Rain started about half an hour ago.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

And as we approach the tenth anniversary of the towers being brought
down, and to bring in an AHR angle, ISTR that checking and
reinforcing the slurry wall perimeters of the WTC foundation
footprint was one of the first things they did post-attack, lest the
Hudson River fill the hole and the attached subway tunnels.

They still often find surprises when they dig holes in NYC. It is
almost starting to be an old city, and it is only in recent decades
that the 'as built' documentation is very complete.

It isn't just subways down there, either. IIRC from a documentary I
saw a few years ago, there are layers and layers and layers of
underground utilities, going down the equivalent of several stories. I
don't know how susceptible they are to flooding.

Yes, there are many layers (probably crossing over and over) of all kinds
of utilities. Most should be really waterproofsince they are in ground,
and surrounded by water, sewage, and steam lines.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Han wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

[...]

My impression was that they were in service tunnels, not just buried.
But I could be mis-remembering the show I saw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/27/2011 2:34 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
wrote:

Smitty wrote in
news
In articleFZidndbiFdp5e8XTnZ2dnUVZ_sydnZ2d@giganews. com,
wrote:

And as we approach the tenth anniversary of the towers being brought
down, and to bring in an AHR angle, ISTR that checking and
reinforcing the slurry wall perimeters of the WTC foundation
footprint was one of the first things they did post-attack, lest the
Hudson River fill the hole and the attached subway tunnels.

They still often find surprises when they dig holes in NYC. It is
almost starting to be an old city, and it is only in recent decades
that the 'as built' documentation is very complete.

Almost an old city? Almost 400 years? Around 1913, when the subway was
being built, some remains of a ship were found that burned around
1620...a Dutchman, Mey? When the WTC was being built, more remains of
the same ship were found...cannon? Whoever the guy was anchored at the
tip of Manhattan to go hunting. Ship burned to the water line. The
crew rebuilt and continued, discovering Connecticut River and the fact
that Long Island was, indeed, an island. Resourceful. In another 400
years, they'll prolly find some fire helmets....
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article ,
Han wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news
snip
It isn't just subways down there, either. IIRC from a documentary I
saw a few years ago, there are layers and layers and layers of
underground utilities, going down the equivalent of several
stories. I don't know how susceptible they are to flooding.

Yes, there are many layers (probably crossing over and over) of all
kinds of utilities. Most should be really waterproofsince they are
in ground, and surrounded by water, sewage, and steam lines.

My impression was that they were in service tunnels, not just buried.
But I could be mis-remembering the show I saw.

I think much is indeed in conduits of some kind, but not tunnels one can
crawl through.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

New Amsterdam/NYC may be old by New World standards, but compared to
many European cities, it is a relative youngster. The exact date many
Old World cities started is lost to the mists of history, but many
still-occupied and recognized Western European cities started when years
only had 3 digits. You go further east, and they get even older.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

New Amsterdam/NYC may be old by New World standards, but compared to
many European cities, it is a relative youngster. The exact date many
Old World cities started is lost to the mists of history, but many
still-occupied and recognized Western European cities started when
years only had 3 digits. You go further east, and they get even older.

Lord Balfour: "Why do you Jews have a fascination for Jerusalem? It's just
another city."

Theodore Herzel: "With all respects, Prime Minister, Jerusalem was a
thriving metropolis when London was a swamp."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 21:36:28 -0400, "Tony Hwang"
wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
om...
...and other stuff in advance of the hurricane.

Aside:
I don't think I've ever seen a hurricane-preparedness checklist that
included sufficient ammunition...

It's not possible to kill a hurricane by shooting it.

Depends on the weapon.

Hurricane Donna made a direct hit on our house 1960.

When the storm was over, people saved by my heroic brother, we had 36
people in the house. Family and neighbors that lost the roof and
wandered out into the flooded street. One by one, my brother carried /
helped them to our house.

You might need more ammo. Depends on who you bring into your home!

The "preparedness checklist" should include:

- unexpected people
- and more ammo

Just in case.