Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Paint Sprayer ?

I have never used a paint sprayer before. I have a wooden shed, and a
large gazebo (with many spindles, that would take a long time to paint with
a brush), and I was wondering if I should try a basic sprayer, and save
myself a lot of time.

Cost is not the main factor, but because I would use it very seldom, I don't
need top of the line.

Can anyone recommend a specific brand, and/or actual model number ?

By the way, I will be using latex paint.

thanks !!

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"James Nipper" wrote in message
net...

I have never used a paint sprayer before. I have a wooden shed, and a
large gazebo (with many spindles, that would take a long time to paint
with a brush), and I was wondering if I should try a basic sprayer, and
save myself a lot of time.

Cost is not the main factor, but because I would use it very seldom, I
don't need top of the line.

It would be much cheaper to paint with one of those sponge gloves
rather than a sprayer, and probably faster than with a brush.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 16:50:55 -0400, "James Nipper"
wrote:

I have never used a paint sprayer before. I have a wooden shed, and a
large gazebo (with many spindles, that would take a long time to paint with
a brush), and I was wondering if I should try a basic sprayer, and save
myself a lot of time.

Cost is not the main factor, but because I would use it very seldom, I don't
need top of the line.

Can anyone recommend a specific brand, and/or actual model number ?

By the way, I will be using latex paint.

thanks !!

James

You can rent a Graco airless sprayer for a day at the rental store. *

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTsvG8yepJw

I would advise against using anything branded Wagner.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2011 4:50 PM, James Nipper wrote:
I have never used a paint sprayer before. I have a wooden shed, and a
large gazebo (with many spindles, that would take a long time to paint with
a brush), and I was wondering if I should try a basic sprayer, and save
myself a lot of time.

Cost is not the main factor, but because I would use it very seldom, I don't
need top of the line.

Can anyone recommend a specific brand, and/or actual model number ?

By the way, I will be using latex paint.

thanks !!

James

Too many unanswwered questions... Do you already have a compressor? If
not, it is probably not practical to use a sprayer (compressors are
expensive, and non-air powered sprayers are expensive too...)

OK, let's say you have a compressor (that is big enough to spray with
(say 4-6 SCFM minimum), then I'd recommend any cheap spray gun. The
local flea market usually has some (new, Chinese, of course) for under
$50, or a discount house (of course Harbor Freight). You may want to
consider a 'touch-up' type gun if the areas are not too large, as they
are smaller and easier to manage, and also cheaper.

Latex sprays just fine... Just don't get the kind that is gelled as that
is a PITA to deal with. Why paint makers added gel to their latex paints
is beyond me, IMHO it makes painting more difficult.

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"James Nipper" wrote:
I have never used a paint sprayer before. I have a wooden shed, and a
large gazebo (with many spindles, that would take a long time to paint with
a brush), and I was wondering if I should try a basic sprayer, and save
myself a lot of time.

Cost is not the main factor, but because I would use it very seldom, I don't
need top of the line.

Can anyone recommend a specific brand, and/or actual model number ?

By the way, I will be using latex paint.

thanks !!

James

I got some kind of model. Drips like crazy but outdoors should be no
problem

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gregz" wrote in message
"James Nipper" wrote:
I have never used a paint sprayer before. I have a wooden shed, and a
large gazebo (with many spindles, that would take a long time to paint
with
a brush), and I was wondering if I should try a basic sprayer, and save
myself a lot of time.

Cost is not the main factor, but because I would use it very seldom, I
don't
need top of the line.

Can anyone recommend a specific brand, and/or actual model number ?

By the way, I will be using latex paint.

thanks !!

James

Check out the HVLP, or high volume low pressure sprayers. These don't
require as much air as a lot of sprayers. For your small needs, one should
do the job. I've seen them for $35 - $50, depending on quality, condition,
etc. You did not state if you had a compressor, but may be able to borrow
one for this small project.

Spray light sprays, going over it several times. This will avoid dripping.
Be sure to prepare the surface, sanding and brushing to remove paint that
may soon peel or drop off. Take your time, and do one coat and let it dry
overnight, then another. You will get better results.

Steve

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 17:16:37 -0400, PeterD wrote:

Latex sprays just fine... Just don't get the kind that is gelled as that
is a PITA to deal with. Why paint makers added gel to their latex paints
is beyond me, IMHO it makes painting more difficult.

Straining the paint makes a world of difference. HD has mesh 5 gal.
and 1 gal. strainer bags. Line a bucket, transfer the paint and lift
the strainer bag out. It gets all "goobers" out of the paint. This
helps prevent the gun tip from clogging. I've sprayed Elastomeric
Acrylic Latex on stucco. Worth that simple step of straining.
Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote:
"James Nipper" wrote:
I have never used a paint sprayer before. I have a wooden shed, and a
large gazebo (with many spindles, that would take a long time to paint with
a brush), and I was wondering if I should try a basic sprayer, and save
myself a lot of time.

Cost is not the main factor, but because I would use it very seldom, I don't
need top of the line.

Can anyone recommend a specific brand, and/or actual model number ?

By the way, I will be using latex paint.

thanks !!

James

I got some kind of model. Drips like crazy but outdoors should be no
problem

Greg

Mine is a commonly seen buzzer sprayer. I use a compressed sprayer also,
but they all require very thin watery liquid.

I have not used it lately, but I got a roller feed system. Long hoses to
clean, but it works for me.

Greg

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"James Nipper" wrote in message
net...
I have never used a paint sprayer before. I have a wooden shed, and a
large gazebo (with many spindles, that would take a long time to paint
with a brush), and I was wondering if I should try a basic sprayer, and
save myself a lot of time.

Cost is not the main factor, but because I would use it very seldom, I
don't need top of the line.

Can anyone recommend a specific brand, and/or actual model number ?

By the way, I will be using latex paint.

thanks !!

James

You can buy a Wagner sprayer and get many advantages:
1. you learn new swear words
2. you get to spend more time in the sun than other methods
3. you get to teach your family new swear words
4. latex paint makes for a good nail polish (rest of your hands two)

Or go to a tool rental place and get a Graco airless sprayer for a day or
two. You can buy them, but the price starts at about $400.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2011 3:50 PM, James Nipper wrote:
I have never used a paint sprayer before. I have a wooden shed, and a
large gazebo (with many spindles, that would take a long time to paint with
a brush), and I was wondering if I should try a basic sprayer, and save
myself a lot of time.

Cost is not the main factor, but because I would use it very seldom, I don't
need top of the line.

Can anyone recommend a specific brand, and/or actual model number ?

By the way, I will be using latex paint.

thanks !!

James

given this information, I'd rent a good one. You'll pull your hair out
if you buy a cheap one.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 1:20*am, Steve Barker wrote:
On 8/11/2011 3:50 PM, James Nipper wrote:

* I have never used a paint sprayer before. *I have a wooden shed, and a
large gazebo *(with many spindles, that would take a long time to paint with
a brush), and I was wondering if I should try a basic sprayer, and save
myself a lot of time.

Cost is not the main factor, but because I would use it very seldom, I don't
need top of the line.

Can anyone recommend a specific brand, and/or actual model number ?

By the way, I will be using latex paint.

thanks !!

James

given this information, I'd rent a good one. *You'll pull your hair out
if you buy a cheap one.

--
Steve Barker
remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

You don't want anything driven by compressed air. The wagner stuff is
crap. Paint fed rollers weight a ton and in short order your arm is
tired. There are some entry level graco sprayers that you could use
for home use basically forever. Or check craigs list. The house
painting business is like a lot of home improvement businesses, a lot
of small companies that are always going out of business. These days
they sell their used equipment off on craig's list.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 3:50*pm, "James Nipper"
wrote:
*I have never used a paint sprayer before. *I have a wooden shed, and a
large gazebo *(with many spindles, that would take a long time to paint with
a brush), and I was wondering if I should try a basic sprayer, and save
myself a lot of time.

Cost is not the main factor, but because I would use it very seldom, I don't
need top of the line.

Can anyone recommend a specific brand, and/or actual model number ?

By the way, I will be using latex paint.

thanks !!

James

The airless sprayers will work. However, I would use a brush or
sponge applicator. When doing spindles, you are going to put a lot of
paint in the air and often not enough on the spindles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote in

g:

gregz wrote:
"James Nipper" wrote:
[...]

of course,he could RENT a professional style paint sprayer,the kind that
feeds direct from the 5 gal.paint bucket. No thinning needed.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Wow , what a bunch of helpful replies !! No, I do not have a compressor,
and if I now choose to use a sprayer I will rent one as suggested here.

The sponge glove sounds interesting for the spindles.

After reading all posted remarks, I am leaning away from the sprayer, and
will think more about a brush, sponge applicator, and sponge glove.

Thanks to all of you... the comments were all very helpful !!

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

In ,
Don Phillipson typed:
"James Nipper" wrote in
message
net...
I have never used a paint sprayer before. I have a
wooden shed, and a large gazebo (with many spindles,
that would take a long time to paint with a brush), and
I was wondering if I should try a basic sprayer, and
save myself a lot of time. Cost is not the main factor, but because I
would use it
very seldom, I don't need top of the line.

It would be much cheaper to paint with one of those
sponge gloves rather than a sprayer, and probably faster
than with a brush.

I'd have to disagree with that. It would however be a good way to have
uneven and early paint separation from the uneven coats to use a glove. And
straight painting is a no-braiiner; fast and easy as long as your compressor
prvdes ehough air volume. Cleanup is also quick with a sprayer.

Paint sprayer SBH[_4_] Home Repair 7 January 10th 11 11:44 PM
Paint sprayer Dan[_13_] Home Repair 13 January 14th 10 01:08 PM
Inexpensive Paint Sprayer Photon713 Home Repair 13 June 7th 06 04:10 AM
Paint sprayer & latex paint Adam Preble Home Repair 3 May 27th 06 01:57 PM
Paint sprayer Jim Mac Home Repair 2 June 4th 05 01:33 PM