Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why does a built-in gas grill cost so much?

I'm thinking about a small "outdoor kitchen" when I add a screened
porch on the house. I'd like to have a nice gas grill built into a
concrete countertop, ideally with a burner on the side as well. The
plan will also include a ventilation hood.

It appears the built-in models are about 2 times the cost as a
freestanding grill. Can I just buy a nice webber grill and retrofit
it into the space I need?

I have a natural gas line nearby, so I plan to hire an experienced
plumber to connect the system up for me. Yes - I will buy the right
burner elements.

Thoughts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"paulaner" wrote in message

I'm thinking about a small "outdoor kitchen" when I add a screened
porch on the house. I'd like to have a nice gas grill built into a
concrete countertop, ideally with a burner on the side as well. The
plan will also include a ventilation hood.

It appears the built-in models are about 2 times the cost as a
freestanding grill. Can I just buy a nice webber grill and retrofit
it into the space I need?

I have a natural gas line nearby, so I plan to hire an experienced
plumber to connect the system up for me. Yes - I will buy the right
burner elements.

Thoughts?

My thought is you are comparing apples and oranges. A good built in grill
is built to last a long time. Yes it is more expensive than the cheap
grills at WalMart.

If you do a comparison of grill prices for Weber, the top end Summit models
that are available built in or free standing are rather close in price.
Take a peek here. This is where I bought my Summit S470 a few weeks ago.
Good prices overall
http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/SearchRe...show=10&page=5

They have four built in models available and the prices are very competitive
with the freestanding.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 13:58:34 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"paulaner" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

I have a $400 Webber that is 8 years old and doing fine. I was
looking at consumerreports listings and see the grills with an
excellent rating are around $800 - $1000. The ones you are looking at
cost $1500 and up.

Maybe I'm just cheap?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"paulaner" wrote in message

I have a $400 Webber that is 8 years old and doing fine. I was
looking at consumerreports listings and see the grills with an
excellent rating are around $800 - $1000. The ones you are looking at
cost $1500 and up.

Maybe I'm just cheap?

Then you probably won't like some of the prices here
http://www.bbqguys.com/departments_n...J65Qo dsWjdWA

Be sure to marvel at the Fire Magic Echelon Diamond.
http://www.bbqguys.com/item_name_Fir...m_2791414.html
The double side burner is extra at $786. The cover goes up and down at the
push of a button. Of course you'd expect that for $7100.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 16:06:56 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"paulaner" wrote in message

I have a $400 Webber that is 8 years old and doing fine. I was
looking at consumerreports listings and see the grills with an
excellent rating are around $800 - $1000. The ones you are looking at
cost $1500 and up.

Maybe I'm just cheap?

Then you probably won't like some of the prices here
http://www.bbqguys.com/departments_n...J65Qo dsWjdWA

Be sure to marvel at the Fire Magic Echelon Diamond.
http://www.bbqguys.com/item_name_Fir...m_2791414.html
The double side burner is extra at $786. The cover goes up and down at the
push of a button. Of course you'd expect that for $7100.

Lol - that's amazing! I'll buy a lottery ticket with that one in
mind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 13:26:44 -0400, paulaner wrote Re Why does a
built-in gas grill cost so much?:

I'm thinking about a small "outdoor kitchen" when I add a screened
porch on the house. I'd like to have a nice gas grill built into a
concrete countertop, ideally with a burner on the side as well. The
plan will also include a ventilation hood.

It appears the built-in models are about 2 times the cost as a
freestanding grill. Can I just buy a nice webber grill and retrofit
it into the space I need?

Yes, that can be done.

I have a natural gas line nearby, so I plan to hire an experienced
plumber to connect the system up for me. Yes - I will buy the right
burner elements.

Thoughts?

Good ideas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Caesar Romano wrote:
On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 13:26:44 -0400, paulaner wrote Re Why does a
built-in gas grill cost so much?:

I'm thinking about a small "outdoor kitchen" when I add a screened
porch on the house. I'd like to have a nice gas grill built into a
concrete countertop, ideally with a burner on the side as well. The
plan will also include a ventilation hood.

It appears the built-in models are about 2 times the cost as a
freestanding grill. Can I just buy a nice webber grill and retrofit
it into the space I need?

Yes, that can be done.

I have a natural gas line nearby, so I plan to hire an experienced
plumber to connect the system up for me. Yes - I will buy the right
burner elements.

Thoughts?

Good ideas.

I beleive some grills are marketed as dual use. Propane and natural
gas. AFAIK its not the burner that changes, it is the input regulator.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/2011 8:28 AM, LouB wrote:
Caesar Romano wrote:
[...]

The burner assembly is what changes. NG requires larger orifices.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 7/31/2011 10:26 AM, paulaner wrote:

I'm thinking about a small "outdoor kitchen" when I add a screened
porch on the house. I'd like to have a nice gas grill built into a
concrete countertop, ideally with a burner on the side as well. The
plan will also include a ventilation hood.

It appears the built-in models are about 2 times the cost as a
freestanding grill. Can I just buy a nice webber grill and retrofit
it into the space I need?

I have a natural gas line nearby, so I plan to hire an experienced
plumber to connect the system up for me. Yes - I will buy the right
burner elements.

Thoughts?

I thought about one of those built in models too. In the end I built an
outdoor bar with a sink and under-the-counter refrigerator and stuck
with the standalone grill. The bar was easy to build and I made it
pretty big. I made it with a tile top (18 12" tiles). Would have
preferred a single piece of granite (granite is very inexpensive in
California due to all the Chinese granite) but I could not cut a hole
for the sink. A lot of the outdoor island kitchens don't include a sink,
but that was a must-have for me.

I recall that for the Costco grill I got offered an inexpensive natural
gas kit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 10:46:31 -0700, SMS
wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I am thinking about a concrete countertop. from what I am
reading they look pretty good. A sink is not a must have for me, but
maybe a place to put beer on ice would be convienient...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 09:56:44 -0400, LouB wrote:

George wrote:
On 8/1/2011 8:28 AM, LouB wrote:
Caesar Romano wrote:
[...]

I'll post my answer when its done
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Features for an outside kitchen can vary all over the map.

As for the grill costing more, of the ones I have seen that were intended to
be built into some kind of structure are substantially higher quality.
Maybe it is that they know this will sit outside 24/7/365 and not be rolled
in and out of shelter. I think they also followed the market knowing that
people who could afford to have one mounted could afford a better unit.

My friend has an Outdoor Kitchen brand, and it is really awesome. If I hit
the lottery, I'm getting one.

As for "stuff" in an outdoor kitchen, there are considerations. First, the
weather. It's outside a lot, exposed to the elements, and most everyone
lives where it freezes at least once a winter. So, things like sinks take
special care. And sinks have to drain and have a water supply.
Refrigerators, cabinets, storage, beer kegger, cutting boards, and all that
stuff is best when it can be easily taken in and out for use. A sink can be
rigged easily with a tank and a gravity feed, and just how much does one use
a sink when cooking. So, a small tank, and a small holding tank could be
made inexpensively.

Places for chilling can be as simple as making a space the shape of a common
ice chest. They now have some cool looking ones at HD that are stainless
top, and would look very nice set into a nook in a island.

Bottom line, it would be easy to make an island with an assemblage of lots
of goodies, and not spend a boatload of money, and have the flexibility of
changing it, or replacing say an ice chest.

I'm going to do this soon. We have been buying dual pane doors to make a
wall as a windbreak, yet keep the view. Overhead will be sail shaped sewn
Sunbrella canvas for shade, and the multiple sails will be staggered
vertically so that air will circulate. I will post photos.

Steve

--

Heart surgery pending?
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011 13:25:03 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Great ideas. Good luck to you as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/2011 10:46 AM, SMS wrote:
[...]

you can cut a hole in granite pretty easily with a $5 diamond disk in a
$15 HF side grinder. clamp down some 1x2s to make a guide for the
grinder to run against. wear breathing protection or do this in with a
strong breeze flowing over the work site.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

a small concrete countertop is pretty easy. if you want it polished, the
diamond tooling for that is about $350, but you can get on ebay cheaper
or resell what you do buy after you're done with it. you can get lots of
colors, can mold in a sink, and insert objects before you pour the
concrete for custom inlays.