Posted to alt.home.repair
paulaner paulaner is offline

Default Why does a built-in gas grill cost so much?

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 13:58:34 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"paulaner" wrote in message
.. .

I'm thinking about a small "outdoor kitchen" when I add a screened
porch on the house. I'd like to have a nice gas grill built into a
concrete countertop, ideally with a burner on the side as well. The
plan will also include a ventilation hood.

It appears the built-in models are about 2 times the cost as a
freestanding grill. Can I just buy a nice webber grill and retrofit
it into the space I need?

I have a natural gas line nearby, so I plan to hire an experienced
plumber to connect the system up for me. Yes - I will buy the right
burner elements.

Thoughts?

My thought is you are comparing apples and oranges. A good built in grill
is built to last a long time. Yes it is more expensive than the cheap
grills at WalMart.

If you do a comparison of grill prices for Weber, the top end Summit models
that are available built in or free standing are rather close in price.
Take a peek here. This is where I bought my Summit S470 a few weeks ago.
Good prices overall
http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/SearchRe...show=10&page=5

They have four built in models available and the prices are very competitive
with the freestanding.

I have a $400 Webber that is 8 years old and doing fine. I was
looking at consumerreports listings and see the grills with an
excellent rating are around $800 - $1000. The ones you are looking at
cost $1500 and up.

Maybe I'm just cheap?