Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Resurrecting sealed lead acid batteries for outside home equipment (gate)

The lawn mower chewed up the 18 volt AC wire going to the driveway gate
about a year ago and I just got around to fixing it.

Both batteries inside were new a year ago but both are dead as a doorknob.

I've had a 6amp 14-volt battery charger on them for two days and still,
less than a volt (and no current on the gauge).

What does it take to resurrect sealed lead acid batteries?
(Model RB500 & UT1270)
Posted to alt.home.repair

SF Man wrote:
The lawn mower chewed up the 18 volt AC wire going to the driveway
gate about a year ago and I just got around to fixing it.

Both batteries inside were new a year ago but both are dead as a
doorknob.

I've had a 6amp 14-volt battery charger on them for two days and
still, less than a volt (and no current on the gauge).

What does it take to resurrect sealed lead acid batteries?
(Model RB500 & UT1270)

All it takes is replaceing them. These batteries don't respond well to abuse,
and you've abused them to the limit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SF Man wrote:
The lawn mower chewed up the 18 volt AC wire going to the driveway gate
about a year ago and I just got around to fixing it.

Both batteries inside were new a year ago but both are dead as a doorknob.

I've had a 6amp 14-volt battery charger on them for two days and still,
less than a volt (and no current on the gauge).

What does it take to resurrect sealed lead acid batteries?
(Model RB500& UT1270)

Hi,
Forget the batteries. They are toast.
How about installing solar panel to trickle charge new
batteries during day time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've never had much success. This is a sad moment, where
remove and replace may be the only answer.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"SF Man" wrote in message
The lawn mower chewed up the 18 volt AC wire going to the
driveway gate
about a year ago and I just got around to fixing it.

Both batteries inside were new a year ago but both are dead
as a doorknob.

I've had a 6amp 14-volt battery charger on them for two days
and still,
less than a volt (and no current on the gauge).

What does it take to resurrect sealed lead acid batteries?
(Model RB500 & UT1270)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
SF Man wrote:
The lawn mower chewed up the 18 volt AC wire going to the driveway gate
about a year ago and I just got around to fixing it.

Both batteries inside were new a year ago but both are dead as a doorknob.

I've had a 6amp 14-volt battery charger on them for two days and still,
less than a volt (and no current on the gauge).

What does it take to resurrect sealed lead acid batteries?
(Model RB500 & UT1270)

A crowbar usually works. (You use it to open your wallet)

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 20:10:29 -0700, Bob F wrote:
All it takes is replaceing them. These batteries don't respond well to
abuse, and you've abused them to the limit.

It's something I've heard many a time, and which appears true :-) But,
just out of interest, what is it that actually fails in these types of
batteries when they've been left idle for long periods?

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 12:48:08 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson
wrote:

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 20:10:29 -0700, Bob F wrote:
All it takes is replaceing them. These batteries don't respond well to
abuse, and you've abused them to the limit.

It's something I've heard many a time, and which appears true :-) But,
just out of interest, what is it that actually fails in these types of
batteries when they've been left idle for long periods?

Corrosion and sulfation, primarily. The plates of deeply discharged
flooded-cell starter batteries can warp and short, as well.

http://www.fireflyenergy.com/index.p...00&Item id=81
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 20:10:29 -0700, Bob F wrote:
All it takes is replaceing them. These batteries don't respond well to
abuse, and you've abused them to the limit.

It's something I've heard many a time, and which appears true :-) But,
just out of interest, what is it that actually fails in these types of
batteries when they've been left idle for long periods?

cheers

Jules

The plates "harden" - the sulphate cannot be driven back out - and
sometimes they get dead enough to actually freeze - or they dry
out/swell. This is mostly from high temperatures, which means they
would go bad even if they were being charged. Some brands are a lot
worse than others for this kind of failure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 12:48:08 +0000, Jules Richardson wrote:

what is it that actually fails in these types of
batteries when they've been left idle for long periods?

I'm curious also as 'normal' batteries can be resurrected (sometimes)
even after a long period of disuse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 23:11:24 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

How about installing solar panel to trickle charge new
batteries during day time.

That 'would' have worked! The problem was my fault, for mowing over the
barely buried wires; and, of course, for leaving the batteries off the
charger for so long.

I just didn't realize these sealed 'dry' 7 amp 12 volt lead-acid batteries
were so fragile.

I even tried putting 120 volts across the terminals with a jumper wire; but
even that failed to resurrect the batteries. They've been on the trickle
charger for days - and absolutely nothing. Not even heat!

The fact there's no current and no heat and no open-source voltage tells me
they must have developed an 'open' somehow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 03:29:22 +0000 (UTC), Larry W wrote:

A crowbar usually works. (You use it to open your wallet)

You're not kidding!

They seem to cost about $60!

GTO RB500 7 amp 12 volt battery = $29 + 10% tax + shipping:
http://www.gateopenersunlimited.com/...Batteries.html

UltraTech UT1270 7 amp 12 volt battery = $29 + 10% tax + shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/UltraTech-UT12.../dp/B003GXP10W

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 13:09:15 -0700, SF Man
wrote:

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 03:29:22 +0000 (UTC), Larry W wrote:

A crowbar usually works. (You use it to open your wallet)

You're not kidding!

They seem to cost about $60!

GTO RB500 7 amp 12 volt battery = $29 + 10% tax + shipping:
http://www.gateopenersunlimited.com/...Batteries.html

UltraTech UT1270 7 amp 12 volt battery = $29 + 10% tax + shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/UltraTech-UT12.../dp/B003GXP10W

Find a local battery supplier - my local battery wholesaler supplies
me with 7.5 and 8 anp 12 volt batteries for $16.50 Canadian each plus
tax.No shipping required.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 03:29:22 +0000 (UTC), Larry W wrote:

A crowbar usually works. (You use it to open your wallet)

You're not kidding!

They seem to cost about $60!

GTO RB500 7 amp 12 volt battery = $29 + 10% tax + shipping:
http://www.gateopenersunlimited.com/...placement-Batt...

UltraTech UT1270 7 amp 12 volt battery = $29 + 10% tax + shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/UltraTech-UT12...T-1270/dp/B003...

*Find a local battery supplier - my local battery wholesaler supplies
me with 7.5 and 8 anp 12 volt batteries for $16.50 Canadian each plus
tax.No shipping required.

or use 2 riding mower battery
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 1, 4:05*pm, SF Man wrote:
I just didn't realize these sealed 'dry' 7 amp 12 volt lead-acid batteries
were so fragile.

What the hell do you mean "fragile?" You left the batteries out there
for a YEAR, probably with a parasitic load on them from the gate
electronics.

There is no lead acid battery that can be resurrected from being drawn
completely down to 0 Volts, and held there for months.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 31, 4:29 pm, arkland wrote:
On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 12:48:08 +0000, Jules Richardson wrote:
what is it that actually fails in these types of
batteries when they've been left idle for long periods?

I'm curious also as 'normal' batteries can be resurrected (sometimes)
even after a long period of disuse.

Andy replies,

It depends on how bad the plates have sulfated. If you google
the term "battery desulfator", you will learn about special
battery chargers that use a pulsing high frequency charge to
dissipate sulfate on the plates, and if the battery isn't too far
gone, will restore it somewhat. These are not miracle devices,
tho, and , in general, greatly lengthen the life of a lead acid
battery PROVIDING it is being "nursed". It probably won't
do your "ressurection", but is an interesting subject to learn
about for future reference.

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 03:29:22 +0000 (UTC), Larry W wrote:

A crowbar usually works. (You use it to open your wallet)

You're not kidding!

They seem to cost about $60!

GTO RB500 7 amp 12 volt battery = $29 + 10% tax + shipping:
http://www.gateopenersunlimited.com/...placement-Batt...

UltraTech UT1270 7 amp 12 volt battery = $29 + 10% tax + shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/UltraTech-UT12...T-1270/dp/B003...

*Find a local battery supplier - my local battery wholesaler supplies
me with 7.5 and 8 anp 12 volt batteries for $16.50 Canadian each plus
tax.No shipping required.

i like the idea of a solar charger for this application
Posted to alt.home.repair

august 5th and google groups still broke last post august 1st.......

they suck.......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 24, 9:53*am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 8/2/2011 11:37 AM, wrote:

On Aug 1, 4:05 pm, SF *wrote:
I just didn't realize these sealed 'dry' 7 amp 12 volt lead-acid batteries
were so fragile.

What the hell do you mean "fragile?" You left the batteries out there
for a YEAR, probably with a parasitic load on them from the gate
electronics.

There is no lead acid battery that can be resurrected from being drawn
completely down to 0 Volts, and held there for months.

I believe the Firefly lead acid batteries would survive. Check out the
technology on their site.

http://www.fireflyenergy.com/index.p...nt&task=view&i....

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yptegj

TDD

I doubt it. This guy's batteries probably got drawn down to 0 in the
firts month or two. And sat dead from then till now. No lead acid
battery is going to survive that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/24/2011 11:03 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Aug 24, 9:53 am, The Daring
wrote:
On 8/2/2011 11:37 AM, wrote:

On Aug 1, 4:05 pm, SF wrote:
I just didn't realize these sealed 'dry' 7 amp 12 volt lead-acid batteries
were so fragile.

What the hell do you mean "fragile?" You left the batteries out there
for a YEAR, probably with a parasitic load on them from the gate
electronics.

There is no lead acid battery that can be resurrected from being drawn
completely down to 0 Volts, and held there for months.

I believe the Firefly lead acid batteries would survive. Check out the
technology on their site.

http://www.fireflyenergy.com/index.p...nt&task=view&i...

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yptegj

TDD

I doubt it. This guy's batteries probably got drawn down to 0 in the
firts month or two. And sat dead from then till now. No lead acid
battery is going to survive that.

There is quite a difference in the plate structure of the Firefly
batteries compared to conventional lead acid batteries. I may Email
the company with an inquiry about deep discharge of their product.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 8/2/2011 11:37 AM, wrote:

On Aug 1, 4:05 pm, SF wrote:
[...]

Deep discharge was not the problem. If you re-charge immediately after
deep discharge, there is not much of a problem.
Hoever if you wait several months, even a high quality battery is toast.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 8/2/2011 11:37 AM, wrote:

On Aug 1, 4:05 pm, SF wrote:
[...]

Did you read about the Firefly technology, it's a bit different from
conventional lead acid batteries?

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 8/2/2011 11:37 AM, wrote:

On Aug 1, 4:05 pm, SF wrote:
[...]

TDD- Hide quoted text -

It's still using the same chemical storage. Leave it dead for 10
months and it's toast.