Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cost of replacing Air Handler coil

The AC guys have been out a few times telling me that I have a leak in my
AC unit (6 years old) - a 2.5 air handler. It is only holding freon for a
week or so max before it needs more freon added. They said the coil is
badly rusted and I have the option of a) replacing the entire unit
inside/out - $8000-$10K, b) replacing the inside unit only for $3000 -
4500 or c) replacing just the coil for around $2500.

The last technician said he thinks the coil could possibly still be under
warranty as the AC manufacturer was offering a 10 yr warranty on major
parts during that time. If it is, he said the price would only be $1400
for labor, freon, etc...

That seems pretty high to me. Does anyone know what the cost would be
with / without the warranty present?

-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, but we don't talk to dot foo people.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mabelleen" wrote in
message
oups.com...

Does anyone know what the cost would be
with / without the warranty present?

-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 23, 6:17*pm, mabelleen
wrote:
The AC guys have been out a few times telling me that I have a leak in my
AC unit (6 years old) - a 2.5 air handler. It is only holding freon for a
week or so max before it needs more freon added. *They said the coil is
badly rusted and I have the option of a) replacing the entire unit
inside/out - $8000-$10K, b) replacing the inside unit only for $3000 -
4500 or c) replacing just the coil for around $2500.

The last technician said he thinks the coil could possibly still be under
warranty as the AC manufacturer was offering a 10 yr warranty on major
parts during that time. *If it is, he said the price would only be $1400
for labor, freon, etc...

That seems pretty high to me. *Does anyone know what the cost would be
with / without the warranty present?

-------------------------------------

Those prices are outrageous. The cost of a new cased coil itself
is about $600 or so. That's what YOU could buy one for online.
Presumably those thieves are getting discounts that make it
even less. Add in another $500 for labor and misc and the
whole job should be $1100. You could buy the entire system
equipment for well under $2000 and have a whole new system
for under $3,000 and that's for probably a 16 SEER system.

Run away from those guys. I'd be suspicious as to their overall
diagnosis too. I had quotes last year here in the NJ/nyc area
where prices aren't cheap for $8K or less to replace an entire
5 ton AC and 120K BTU gas furnace.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 23, 9:21*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Yes, but we don't talk to dot foo people.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"mabelleen" wrote in
hnewsgroups.com...

*Does anyone know what the cost would be
with / without the warranty present?

-------------------------------------

What's wrong will foo people...we talked to you...and that's a
stretch?!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in :

Yes, but we don't talk to dot foo people.

We're organized Foo Fighters: http://members.tripod.com/~ultim8_foof/iyh/iyh.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 23, 6:17*pm, mabelleen
wrote:
The AC guys have been out a few times telling me that I have a leak in my
AC unit (6 years old) - a 2.5 air handler. It is only holding freon for a
week or so max before it needs more freon added. *They said the coil is
badly rusted and I have the option of a) replacing the entire unit
inside/out - $8000-$10K, b) replacing the inside unit only for $3000 -
4500 or c) replacing just the coil for around $2500.

The last technician said he thinks the coil could possibly still be under
warranty as the AC manufacturer was offering a 10 yr warranty on major
parts during that time. *If it is, he said the price would only be $1400
for labor, freon, etc...

That seems pretty high to me. *Does anyone know what the cost would be
with / without the warranty present?

-------------------------------------

You need to find new ac guys. They are charging too much for labor.
A cased coil is typically 5 or 6 hundred. I find that for a ball park
estimate you can double the equipment price to get an installed price.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/23/2011 5:17 PM, mabelleen wrote:

The AC guys have been out a few times telling me that I have a leak in my
AC unit (6 years old) - a 2.5 air handler. It is only holding freon for a
week or so max before it needs more freon added. They said the coil is
badly rusted and I have the option of a) replacing the entire unit
inside/out - $8000-$10K, b) replacing the inside unit only for $3000 -
4500 or c) replacing just the coil for around $2500.

The last technician said he thinks the coil could possibly still be under
warranty as the AC manufacturer was offering a 10 yr warranty on major
parts during that time. If it is, he said the price would only be $1400
for labor, freon, etc...

That seems pretty high to me. Does anyone know what the cost would be
with / without the warranty present?

-------------------------------------

Me and my buddy GB who I work with on HVAC systems just fixed a leak
like that for a good customer. It was an older Carrier system that
would lose its Freon after a week. It had several leaks the worst being
the shut off valves on the condensing unit. The valves are under large
hex shaped screw on caps where the line set attaches to the condenser
outdoors. The O ring seals started leaking after a dozen years of
service so I used Leak-Lock on the caps to stop those leaks, I also
replaced the Schrader valve cores because they can also leak after so
many years. There was still a tiny pinhole leak somewhere that didn't
show up even though we crawled all over the system including the air
handler/furnace which is under the house. The last tiny leak was fixed
with a stop leak additive manufactured by Cliplight Manufacturing Co.

http://www.cliplight.com/hvacr/produ...27&upperCatID=

http://preview.tinyurl.com/lby8fz

The unit is now running leak free and the sealer stays in the system to
seal any more tiny leaks that may develop. The problem was the amount of
time it took to find and repair the leaks because we weren't the first
to try to find and repair them. I cut the price for the customer
almost in half because it would have been around $1,400.00 in time if
I just added everything up. The guy has been a good customer for years
with the businesses he owns that I service so he got a real deal.

TDD