Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is condensing coil in duct work for air handler a DIY project

I had a private repairman come over to fix the leak I have in my heating coil. He said that he does
not do this work. I had previouslly asked if the heating coil replacement was a DIY project. You
guys told me no.

New question. This new guy said that the problem is a "condensing coil in duct work for air-handler"
for 1 of my zones. Is this a DIY project? He suggests a HVAC guy.

If it is not a DIY I will look for an HVAC guy.

What do you think?

Thanks much,

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine
Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address:

NOTE: My web home page:
www.seldin.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC wrote:
I had a private repairman come over to fix the leak I have in my
heating coil. He said that he does not do this work. I had
previouslly asked if the heating coil replacement was a DIY project.
You guys told me no.

It is not a DIY, you need equipment and in most cases a license.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 11, 7:57 pm, "Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC"
wrote:
I had a private repairman come over to fix the leak I have in my heating coil. He said that he does
not do this work. I had previouslly asked if the heating coil replacement was a DIY project. You
guys told me no.

New question. This new guy said that the problem is a "condensing coil in duct work for air-handler"
for 1 of my zones. Is this a DIY project? He suggests a HVAC guy.

If it is not a DIY I will look for an HVAC guy.

What do you think?

Thanks much,

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine
Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address:

NOTE: My web home page: www.seldin.net

Unless, you have a leak of _water_ condensing on the coil, and not
being allowed
into the drain line. Like, from a clogged line, which could be dealt
with using a wet/dry
ShopVac. Just suck out the clot.

Leak of refrigerant would leave a residue of refrigerant-oil, but
neither refrigerant or water.

HTH,

HTH,

Posted to alt.home.repair

ups.com...
wrote:
I had a private repairman come over to fix the leak I have in my heating
coil. He said that he does
not do this work. I had previouslly asked if the heating coil replacement
was a DIY project. You
guys told me no.

Unless, you have a leak of _water_ condensing on the coil, and not
being allowed
into the drain line. Like, from a clogged line, which could be dealt
with using a wet/dry
ShopVac. Just suck out the clot.

Leak of refrigerant would leave a residue of refrigerant-oil, but
neither refrigerant or water.

I think I've finally figured this out. He may have a water coil in a plenum
with a blower in an air handler to move the air over the coil to heat it.
The boiler is separate and may even be feeding multiple heating coils in
different zones. Not all that common in a residential setting, but very
common in commercial heating systems. Take a look at this system
http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-I...hot-water-coil

If that is the case, yes, it can be a DIY job if you can solder a joint.
Assuming the connections are soldered, they may be pipe fittings on the
header. It may even be possible to repair the leak once you find it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC" wrote in message
I had a private repairman come over to fix the leak I have in my heating

coil. He said that he does
not do this work. I had previouslly asked if the heating coil replacement

was a DIY project. You
guys told me no.

New question. This new guy said that the problem is a "condensing coil in

duct work for air-handler"
for 1 of my zones. Is this a DIY project? He suggests a HVAC guy.

If it is not a DIY I will look for an HVAC guy.

What do you think?

What kind of leak and what kind of system is it? If it's a freon leak you
need a HVAC company with special equipment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed,

You showed a good picture of what I got. I have a heater and A/C unit combined. What I understand.
The attic has an A/C unit for the upstairs and the basement contains the heater and the A/C unit for
the downstairs. However, the heater in the basement also services the upstairs zone.

So based on your picture. I have this duct work that contains a coil that is leaking.
So is that something I can fix as DIY?

I am contacting an HVAC guy today.

- Larry

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

oups.com...
wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You have a hydro-air system. One boiler supplies radiators in both the
upstairs and downstairs blower units. Each blower unit also contains cooling
coils for the AC. If you can find and get to the leaking pipe inside the
radiator, you could probably solder it. The unit may have to be removed to
expose the leak, which may be more than you want to tackle

"Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC" wrote in message
Ed,

You showed a good picture of what I got. I have a heater and A/C unit
combined. What I understand.
The attic has an A/C unit for the upstairs and the basement contains the
heater and the A/C unit for
the downstairs. However, the heater in the basement also services the
upstairs zone.

So based on your picture. I have this duct work that contains a coil that
is leaking.
So is that something I can fix as DIY?

I am contacting an HVAC guy today.

- Larry

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

roups.com...
wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

What kind of leak and what kind of system is it? If it's a freon leak you
need a HVAC company with special equipment.

This is definetely, a wqter leak and not a freon or oil/water leak. Water is very clear on the
floor.

The duct (or airblower) is easy to get to, as the one that is leaking is in the basement.

Can someone give me step-by-step directions on how to open up this metal duct. I can determine that
since it's from this duct, that it's the downstairs zone that is leaking.

Then, how to replace it. I understand this is general instructions not related to a specific boiler,
but I am assuming I can figure it out, if I had the basics.

Thank you.

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine
Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address:

NOTE: My web home page:
www.seldin.net
Posted to alt.home.repair

Here is what I have so far:

The duct size is 22 X 17. My plumbing supply store says that I need a 15 X 20 coil.

So I need some basic instructions (maybe a Web site picture of how to take apart the duct and how to
remove the coil and then what to solder (I have soldered my outside pool heater pipes.

My plumbing supply store says I have to shut off stuff that goes to upstairs unit so nothing leaks
out of system, so I need to know what steps I should take.

Does someone have these instructions posted somewhere?

Thank you.

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine
Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address:

NOTE: My web home page:
www.seldin.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC" wrote in message
Here is what I have so far:

The duct size is 22 X 17. My plumbing supply store says that I need a 15 X
20 coil.

So I need some basic instructions (maybe a Web site picture of how to take
apart the duct and how to
remove the coil and then what to solder (I have soldered my outside pool
heater pipes.

My plumbing supply store says I have to shut off stuff that goes to
upstairs unit so nothing leaks
out of system, so I need to know what steps I should take.

Does someone have these instructions posted somewhere?

Thank you.

You need some basic mechanical skills and tools, and the ability to solder.
You need some method of testing hte coil, even a simple as attaching a hose
so you can see the leak.

Not being able to see the unit I'm not able to give you a step by step. The
basics a

shut off the supply line to the system and drain if possible.
disconnect coil feed and return
remove coil. probably some sheet metal screws holding everything in place
find and solder leak. You can always take it to a car radiator repair shop
if you can't find or fix it.
Reverse directions

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 8:35 am, "Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC"
wrote:
Here is what I have so far:

The duct size is 22 X 17. My plumbing supply store says that I need a 15 X 20 coil.

So I need some basic instructions (maybe a Web site picture of how to take apart the duct and how to
remove the coil and then what to solder (I have soldered my outside pool heater pipes.

My plumbing supply store says I have to shut off stuff that goes to upstairs unit so nothing leaks
out of system, so I need to know what steps I should take.

Does someone have these instructions posted somewhere?

Thank you.

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine
Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address:

NOTE: My web home page: www.seldin.net

Wrong! Assuming you've got anything so standardized.

At least you should by now have a communicable picture of the
generalities of what's there
in the HVAC system. No small accomplishment. Keeping a notebook? :')

All the duct systems I've seen are _custom_made_ for the particular
job, making "go to url/page3"
impossible. Rather, instructions would be more like:
1) Locate builder's means of closing up ductwork around heating coil,
and determine how to
open it with min destruction; may require cutting. Study system
providing heated water to
determine how best to disconnect coil to facilitate previous.
2) Assemble all necessary parts/supplies/tools on site. Certify that
replacement coil can be
fitted and connected with items on hand. Else goto 1)
3) Disconnect liquid lines from coil per recon.
4) Remove coil.
5) Assembly is reverse of disassembly, kinda. Except you may need to
add some sheet-
metal to close up opening in ductwork, as you determined in 1)
6) Refill all lost liquids so system is at normal pressure. Assume
there will be leaks, and find
them now.
7) Pass beer to helper.

IOW, if you gotta do this with "training wheels" on, you'd do well to
call a pro. Then work up
to such projects over time. Honest. Maybe a pro will let you watch/
help if you leave him a
little space.

HTH,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Barry,

I have a York A/C with a Weil-McLain burner. I am looking to install a (15 X 20 Coil) for my duct
size of (17 X 22)

Here are some questions:

I see screws that I can unscrew my duct. I will then need to remove the duct tape.
My first question, is without draining anything from the burner or turning it physically off, can I
unscrew the duct tower to get a look at what is involved. Meaning, will the unit
still operate if the duct is opened but not full taken apart.

I am good at following written directions. I can also solder and work with PVC piping (which does
not apply). I am trying to get a look at what the coil looks like inside, so I can figure out what I
need to do.

Thanks much,

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine
Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address:

NOTE: My web home page:
www.seldin.net
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC" wrote in message
Here are some questions:

I see screws that I can unscrew my duct. I will then need to remove the
duct tape.
My first question, is without draining anything from the burner or turning
it physically off, can I
unscrew the duct tower to get a look at what is involved. Meaning, will
the unit
still operate if the duct is opened but not full taken apart.

Should be able to do that. You should se ea coil that is made up of
copper tubes running through aluminum fins. You may or may not see the leak.
Look for some crud or runs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm curious as to terms. Heating, we usually refer to heat
exchangers. If you have a 90% plus efficiency furnace (vents
exhaust gasses through PVC tubing) then you could have a
condensing heat exchanger.

On the other hand, an evaporator coil for an AC system takes
condensation out of the air. Which are you referring?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC" wrote in
message ...
: I had a private repairman come over to fix the leak I have in
my heating coil. He said that he does
: not do this work. I had previouslly asked if the heating coil
replacement was a DIY project. You
: guys told me no.
:
: