Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Is condensing coil in duct work for air handler a DIY project

You have a hydro-air system. One boiler supplies radiators in both the
upstairs and downstairs blower units. Each blower unit also contains cooling
coils for the AC. If you can find and get to the leaking pipe inside the
radiator, you could probably solder it. The unit may have to be removed to
expose the leak, which may be more than you want to tackle

"Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC" wrote in message
Ed,

You showed a good picture of what I got. I have a heater and A/C unit
combined. What I understand.
The attic has an A/C unit for the upstairs and the basement contains the
heater and the A/C unit for
the downstairs. However, the heater in the basement also services the
upstairs zone.

So based on your picture. I have this duct work that contains a coil that
is leaking.
So is that something I can fix as DIY?

I am contacting an HVAC guy today.

- Larry

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
On Apr 11, 7:57 pm, "Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC"
wrote:
I had a private repairman come over to fix the leak I have in my
heating
coil. He said that he does
not do this work. I had previouslly asked if the heating coil
replacement
was a DIY project. You
guys told me no.

Unless, you have a leak of _water_ condensing on the coil, and not
being allowed
into the drain line. Like, from a clogged line, which could be dealt
with using a wet/dry
ShopVac. Just suck out the clot.

Leak of refrigerant would leave a residue of refrigerant-oil, but
neither refrigerant or water.

I think I've finally figured this out. He may have a water coil in a
plenum
with a blower in an air handler to move the air over the coil to heat it.
The boiler is separate and may even be feeding multiple heating coils in
different zones. Not all that common in a residential setting, but very
common in commercial heating systems. Take a look at this system
http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-I...hot-water-coil

If that is the case, yes, it can be a DIY job if you can solder a joint.
Assuming the connections are soldered, they may be pipe fittings on the
header. It may even be possible to repair the leak once you find it.

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine
Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address:

NOTE: My web home page:
www.seldin.net