Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cost of replacing Air Handler coil

On Jul 23, 6:17*pm, mabelleen
wrote:
The AC guys have been out a few times telling me that I have a leak in my
AC unit (6 years old) - a 2.5 air handler. It is only holding freon for a
week or so max before it needs more freon added. *They said the coil is
badly rusted and I have the option of a) replacing the entire unit
inside/out - $8000-$10K, b) replacing the inside unit only for $3000 -
4500 or c) replacing just the coil for around $2500.

The last technician said he thinks the coil could possibly still be under
warranty as the AC manufacturer was offering a 10 yr warranty on major
parts during that time. *If it is, he said the price would only be $1400
for labor, freon, etc...

That seems pretty high to me. *Does anyone know what the cost would be
with / without the warranty present?

-------------------------------------

Those prices are outrageous. The cost of a new cased coil itself
is about $600 or so. That's what YOU could buy one for online.
Presumably those thieves are getting discounts that make it
even less. Add in another $500 for labor and misc and the
whole job should be $1100. You could buy the entire system
equipment for well under $2000 and have a whole new system
for under $3,000 and that's for probably a 16 SEER system.

Run away from those guys. I'd be suspicious as to their overall
diagnosis too. I had quotes last year here in the NJ/nyc area
where prices aren't cheap for $8K or less to replace an entire
5 ton AC and 120K BTU gas furnace.