Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] santafecollege@gmail.com is offline

Default Cost of replacing Air Handler coil

On Saturday, July 23, 2011 at 6:17:05 PM UTC-4, mabelleen wrote:
The AC guys have been out a few times telling me that I have a leak in my
AC unit (6 years old) - a 2.5 air handler. It is only holding freon for a
week or so max before it needs more freon added. They said the coil is
badly rusted and I have the option of a) replacing the entire unit
inside/out - $8000-$10K, b) replacing the inside unit only for $3000 -
4500 or c) replacing just the coil for around $2500.

The last technician said he thinks the coil could possibly still be under
warranty as the AC manufacturer was offering a 10 yr warranty on major
parts during that time. If it is, he said the price would only be $1400
for labor, freon, etc...

That seems pretty high to me. Does anyone know what the cost would be
with / without the warranty present?

outrageous