Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Magical flood light at Lowe's

Hi,

I was at Lowe's today looking for a flood light. They had, what I
believe is model SH-6058-WH on display:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_148832-85538...0051&langId=-1

It exhibited a magical featu rather than turning instantly on and
off, it faded in and faded out. I liked that feature because I found it
less jarring.

But I didn't buy the light because there was nothing on the box or in
the literature (had my iphone on me) that mentions this feature. A
google search (flood light "fade in") reveals nothing.

Is anyone familiar with flood lights like that? Or could it have been
some special light bulbs?

Many thanks in advance,

Sam
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
Hi,

I was at Lowe's today looking for a flood light. They had, what I believe
is model SH-6058-WH on display:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_148832-85538...0051&langId=-1

It exhibited a magical featu rather than turning instantly on and off,
it faded in and faded out. I liked that feature because I found it less
jarring.

But I didn't buy the light because there was nothing on the box or in the
literature (had my iphone on me) that mentions this feature. A google
search (flood light "fade in") reveals nothing.

Is anyone familiar with flood lights like that? Or could it have been some
special light bulbs?

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

Just plain old bulbs. They do last longer because they never reach full
brightness, thus the filaments don't burn out as fast.

I bought one a few weeks ago for my driveway. It light up when I want it
to, same as the other lights I've had there. My only complaint is the
motion sensors seem to die after a few years. This time I may actually save
the receipt and folder from the box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/10/2011 12:44 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks.

I just discovered that the feature is called "soft start". Here's a
link. My original model number was wrong.

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/H.../102785/Cat/52

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/10/2011 12:39 AM, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

I was at Lowe's today looking for a flood light. They had, what I
believe is model SH-6058-WH on display:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_148832-85538...0051&langId=-1

It exhibited a magical featu rather than turning instantly on and
off, it faded in and faded out. I liked that feature because I found it
less jarring.

But I didn't buy the light because there was nothing on the box or in
the literature (had my iphone on me) that mentions this feature. A
google search (flood light "fade in") reveals nothing.

Is anyone familiar with flood lights like that? Or could it have been
some special light bulbs?

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

I like that feature especially with floodlights. It uses regular bulbs
(works just like a light dimmer) and they last a long time because of
the soft start which is less shock on the filaments.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/10/2011 12:39 AM, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

I was at Lowe's today looking for a flood light. They had, what I
believe is model SH-6058-WH on display:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_148832-85538...0051&langId=-1

It exhibited a magical featu rather than turning instantly on and
off, it faded in and faded out. I liked that feature because I found
it less jarring.

But I didn't buy the light because there was nothing on the box or
in the literature (had my iphone on me) that mentions this feature.
A google search (flood light "fade in") reveals nothing.

Is anyone familiar with flood lights like that? Or could it have
been some special light bulbs?

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

Mine actually work that way, however, they are hooked to X10 wall
switches. An X10 motion detector turns them on if it is not
daytime. Otherwise, 24/7 it rings an inside chime.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.lowes.com/pd_148832-85538...reId=10151&Ntt....

[...]

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/H...Motion-Sen...- Hide quoted text -

Soft-start is fine for incandescent bilbs, will likely burn out
fluorescent spot/flood lights.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 12:41:18 -0400, Art Todesco
wrote:

[...]

Just to be sure, you mean that the motion detector will ring
the chime when it detects motion, whether it is daytime or
not. Rather than the chime rings 24/7. I guess I just read
that the wrong way at first.

--
croy