Posted to alt.home.repair

Default outside wall socket off of flood light

hi,
my location is nc, I want to replace the outside frontdoor light with
a extender box and a motion spotlight on top of it.I would like to
also wantto put a outside wall socket box down a few feet.the house is
from 1980 and has modern wiring but had the old small gang box(hence
the updated extender box) for the the outside fixture.

whats the minumim height the pvc watertight socket box has to be off
the ground if it outside? any clue

I have already picked out the box and the pvc electrical conduit. the
reason for the outlet is for a electrical leaf blower,etc.. during the
summer months.

this would be tied into the inside electrical wall switch.

thanks in advance.
flir67-----
Posted to alt.home.repair

"flir67" wrote in message
hi,
my location is nc, I want to replace the outside frontdoor light with
a extender box and a motion spotlight on top of it.I would like to
also wantto put a outside wall socket box down a few feet.the house is
from 1980 and has modern wiring but had the old small gang box(hence
the updated extender box) for the the outside fixture.

whats the minumim height the pvc watertight socket box has to be off
the ground if it outside? any clue

I have already picked out the box and the pvc electrical conduit. the
reason for the outlet is for a electrical leaf blower,etc.. during the
summer months.

this would be tied into the inside electrical wall switch.

thanks in advance.
flir67-----

You should be able to get a motion detector floodlight kit that will
directly replace whatever fixture you have there now. No extender should be
necessary. It would make more sense to install your receptacle outlet back
to back with an inside wall outlet, this way you won't have to turn on a
switch to energize it, and you won't need exposed conduit running down the
wall. There is no specified minimum height for an outlet, but I would
install it at a comfortable level

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 5:09*pm, "RBM" wrote:

[...]

thanks for the reply!
Posted to alt.home.repair

flir67 wrote:

I want to replace the outside frontdoor light with
a extender box and a motion spotlight on top of it.I would like to
also wantto put a outside wall socket box down a few feet.

Keep in mind that lighting circuits in modern housing are typically 15A. Putting
a plug on a loaded lighting circuit is likely to create an overload if you plug
anything substantial in. It probably won't pass any future inspection.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 13:59:48 -0800 (PST), flir67
wrote:

hi,
my location is nc, I want to replace the outside frontdoor light with
a extender box and a motion spotlight on top of it.I would like to
also wantto put a outside wall socket box down a few feet.the house is
from 1980 and has modern wiring but had the old small gang box(hence
the updated extender box) for the the outside fixture.

whats the minumim height the pvc watertight socket box has to be off
the ground if it outside? any clue

I have already picked out the box and the pvc electrical conduit. the
reason for the outlet is for a electrical leaf blower,etc.. during the
summer months.

this would be tied into the inside electrical wall switch.

thanks in advance.
flir67-----

I'm not exactly sure what you have in mind, but my next door neighbors
removed their rear deck light and ran some outside cable up the back
of their house a little and put in a flood light, using the switch for
the earlier light. There's some strange cover where the first light
used to be. I think it looks terrible.

When I wanted a floodlight for my backyard, I found a receptacle next
to the window in my 2nd floor bedroom, put a hole in a foot above it
for a switch, and mounted the light just opposite the new switch. No
wires are showing, inside or out, and to change the bulb, I lean out
the window a little bit.

I also replaced my front door light with a motion activated one. To
mount an outlet outdoors** I'd go through the wall from another
outlet, or go up from the basement, maybe 4 to 6 inches over ground
level, so that's the most cable one woudl see, even less when standing
nearby. I might even plant something in front of it.

**I have one in the front which I use, and in the back, there's an
indoor outlet 8 inches from the door, so I use that.