Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing fascia board and gutter: how hard?

The fascia board on our addition is rotting out. How hard is it to
replace that and the gutter?

In this particular case, the gutter isn't too far off the ground
(maybe 7 or 8 feet). It's not all that long, maybe 12-15 feet.

I'm pretty handy, but not all that experienced.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 2, 9:36*am, woger151 wrote:
The fascia board on our addition is rotting out. *How hard is it to
replace that and the gutter?

In this particular case, the gutter isn't too far off the ground
(maybe 7 or 8 feet). *It's not all that long, maybe 12-15 feet.

I'm pretty handy, but not all that experienced.

Easy done if you build up a low walkway and have help. Two people are
ideal for handling long pieces of lumber which you will need. Current
good building practice is to use 2 x 6 fascia for strength and
endurance. Makes hanging gutters much easier, but costs a bit more.
Stainless screws in the rafter tails will last many years, too.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 2, 9:36*am, woger151 wrote:
The fascia board on our addition is rotting out. *How hard is it to
replace that and the gutter?

In this particular case, the gutter isn't too far off the ground
(maybe 7 or 8 feet). *It's not all that long, maybe 12-15 feet.

I'm pretty handy, but not all that experienced.

2 peop;e make this easy, while only 1 will be struggling. But find
out why the present board is rotting before proceeding.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Joe wrote:

On Jul 2, 9:36*am, woger151 wrote:
The fascia board on our addition is rotting out. *How hard is it to
replace that and the gutter?

In this particular case, the gutter isn't too far off the ground
(maybe 7 or 8 feet). *It's not all that long, maybe 12-15 feet.

I'm pretty handy, but not all that experienced.

Easy done if you build up a low walkway and have help. Two people are
ideal for handling long pieces of lumber which you will need. Current
good building practice is to use 2 x 6 fascia for strength and
endurance. Makes hanging gutters much easier, but costs a bit more.
Stainless screws in the rafter tails will last many years, too.

Joe

If the fascia is rotting, what are the chances that the rafters are too?
And then what?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 2, 6:40*pm, Joe wrote:
On Jul 2, 9:36*am, woger151 wrote:

The fascia board on our addition is rotting out. *How hard is it to
replace that and the gutter?

In this particular case, the gutter isn't too far off the ground
(maybe 7 or 8 feet). *It's not all that long, maybe 12-15 feet.

I'm pretty handy, but not all that experienced.

Easy done if you build up a low walkway and have help. Two people are
ideal for handling long pieces of lumber which you will need. Current
good building practice is to use 2 x 6 fascia for strength and
endurance.

Say what? I've never seen a 2 by used for fascia. For endurance
I would use 1" in vinyl.

Makes hanging gutters much easier, but costs a bit more.
Stainless screws in the rafter tails will last many years, too.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 23:26:18 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article
,
Joe wrote:

On Jul 2, 9:36*am, woger151 wrote:
The fascia board on our addition is rotting out. *How hard is it to
replace that and the gutter?

In this particular case, the gutter isn't too far off the ground
(maybe 7 or 8 feet). *It's not all that long, maybe 12-15 feet.

I'm pretty handy, but not all that experienced.

Easy done if you build up a low walkway and have help. Two people are
ideal for handling long pieces of lumber which you will need. Current
good building practice is to use 2 x 6 fascia for strength and
endurance. Makes hanging gutters much easier, but costs a bit more.
Stainless screws in the rafter tails will last many years, too.

Joe

If the fascia is rotting, what are the chances that the rafters are too?
And then what?

Sister the rafter ends?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Jul 2011 05:16:16 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Jul 2, 6:40*pm, Joe wrote:
On Jul 2, 9:36*am, woger151 wrote:

The fascia board on our addition is rotting out. *How hard is it to
replace that and the gutter?

In this particular case, the gutter isn't too far off the ground
(maybe 7 or 8 feet). *It's not all that long, maybe 12-15 feet.

I'm pretty handy, but not all that experienced.

Easy done if you build up a low walkway and have help. Two people are
ideal for handling long pieces of lumber which you will need. Current
good building practice is to use 2 x 6 fascia for strength and
endurance.

Say what? I've never seen a 2 by used for fascia. For endurance
I would use 1" in vinyl.

Sure, a 1x isn't much to hang a gutter on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"woger151" wrote in message
The fascia board on our addition is rotting out. How hard is it to
replace that and the gutter?

In this particular case, the gutter isn't too far off the ground
(maybe 7 or 8 feet). It's not all that long, maybe 12-15 feet.

I'm pretty handy, but not all that experienced.

It can be unbelievably simple or the job from hell. If the roof line is
truly straight where the board attaches it is easy. As another poster
mentioned, scabbing a rotten tail or three is no big deal, just scribe and
cut them.

If not you may have to finesse the board to get a tight fit.

The gutters are easy if you use the concealed hanger brackets. The old
style nails and ferules don't have much bite in a 3/4" board.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"woger151" wrote in message
The fascia board on our addition is rotting out. How hard is it to
replace that and the gutter?

In this particular case, the gutter isn't too far off the ground
(maybe 7 or 8 feet). It's not all that long, maybe 12-15 feet.

I'm pretty handy, but not all that experienced.

It can be unbelievably simple or the job from hell. If the roof line is
truly straight where the board attaches it is easy. As another poster
mentioned, scabbing a rotten tail or three is no big deal, just scribe and
cut them.

If not you may have to finesse the board to get a tight fit.

The gutters are easy if you use the concealed hanger brackets. The old
style nails and ferules don't have much bite in a 3/4" board.

--
Colbyt

The reason gutter spikes were so long was for nailing into the
rafter/trusses.

Fascia Board replacement Red Green Home Repair 10 October 30th 09 12:15 AM
fascia board HomerS Home Repair 6 March 30th 08 03:17 AM
Gutter Replacement but Fascia Board/Soffit is the Problem Kevin G. Home Repair 7 March 11th 08 02:06 AM
fascia board for gutter system Chris Home Repair 3 February 4th 08 06:10 PM
gutter guy wrapping fascia jibberjabber Home Repair 4 August 4th 05 12:40 AM