DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Replacing fascia board and gutter: how hard? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/325444-replacing-fascia-board-gutter-how-hard.html)

woger151 July 2nd 11 03:36 PM

Replacing fascia board and gutter: how hard?

The fascia board on our addition is rotting out. How hard is it to
replace that and the gutter?

In this particular case, the gutter isn't too far off the ground
(maybe 7 or 8 feet). It's not all that long, maybe 12-15 feet.

I'm pretty handy, but not all that experienced.

Joe July 2nd 11 11:40 PM

On Jul 2, 9:36*am, woger151 wrote:
The fascia board on our addition is rotting out. *How hard is it to
replace that and the gutter?

In this particular case, the gutter isn't too far off the ground
(maybe 7 or 8 feet). *It's not all that long, maybe 12-15 feet.

I'm pretty handy, but not all that experienced.

Easy done if you build up a low walkway and have help. Two people are
ideal for handling long pieces of lumber which you will need. Current
good building practice is to use 2 x 6 fascia for strength and
endurance. Makes hanging gutters much easier, but costs a bit more.
Stainless screws in the rafter tails will last many years, too.

Joe

hr(bob) [email protected] July 3rd 11 03:54 AM

Replacing fascia board and gutter: how hard?

On Jul 2, 9:36*am, woger151 wrote:
The fascia board on our addition is rotting out. *How hard is it to
replace that and the gutter?

In this particular case, the gutter isn't too far off the ground
(maybe 7 or 8 feet). *It's not all that long, maybe 12-15 feet.

I'm pretty handy, but not all that experienced.

2 peop;e make this easy, while only 1 will be struggling. But find
out why the present board is rotting before proceeding.

Smitty Two July 3rd 11 07:26 AM

Replacing fascia board and gutter: how hard?

In article
,
Joe wrote:

On Jul 2, 9:36*am, woger151 wrote:
The fascia board on our addition is rotting out. *How hard is it to
replace that and the gutter?

In this particular case, the gutter isn't too far off the ground
(maybe 7 or 8 feet). *It's not all that long, maybe 12-15 feet.

I'm pretty handy, but not all that experienced.

Easy done if you build up a low walkway and have help. Two people are
ideal for handling long pieces of lumber which you will need. Current
good building practice is to use 2 x 6 fascia for strength and
endurance. Makes hanging gutters much easier, but costs a bit more.
Stainless screws in the rafter tails will last many years, too.

Joe

If the fascia is rotting, what are the chances that the rafters are too?
And then what?

Red Green July 3rd 11 01:05 PM

Replacing fascia board and gutter: how hard?

Smitty Two wrote in news:prestwhich-
:

In article
,
Joe wrote:

On Jul 2, 9:36*am, woger151 wrote:
The fascia board on our addition is rotting out. *How hard is it to
replace that and the gutter?

In this particular case, the gutter isn't too far off the ground
(maybe 7 or 8 feet). *It's not all that long, maybe 12-15 feet.

I'm pretty handy, but not all that experienced.

Easy done if you build up a low walkway and have help. Two people are
ideal for handling long pieces of lumber which you will need. Current
good building practice is to use 2 x 6 fascia for strength and
endurance. Makes hanging gutters much easier, but costs a bit more.
Stainless screws in the rafter tails will last many years, too.

Joe

If the fascia is rotting, what are the chances that the rafters are too?
And then what?

Hopefully there's a rafter cap that rotted first.

[email protected][_2_] July 3rd 11 01:16 PM

On Jul 2, 6:40*pm, Joe wrote:
On Jul 2, 9:36*am, woger151 wrote:

The fascia board on our addition is rotting out. *How hard is it to
replace that and the gutter?

In this particular case, the gutter isn't too far off the ground
(maybe 7 or 8 feet). *It's not all that long, maybe 12-15 feet.

I'm pretty handy, but not all that experienced.

Easy done if you build up a low walkway and have help. Two people are
ideal for handling long pieces of lumber which you will need. Current
good building practice is to use 2 x 6 fascia for strength and
endurance.

Say what? I've never seen a 2 by used for fascia. For endurance
I would use 1" in vinyl.

[email protected] July 3rd 11 05:37 PM

Replacing fascia board and gutter: how hard?

On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 23:26:18 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article
,
Joe wrote:

On Jul 2, 9:36*am, woger151 wrote:
The fascia board on our addition is rotting out. *How hard is it to
replace that and the gutter?

In this particular case, the gutter isn't too far off the ground
(maybe 7 or 8 feet). *It's not all that long, maybe 12-15 feet.

I'm pretty handy, but not all that experienced.

Easy done if you build up a low walkway and have help. Two people are
ideal for handling long pieces of lumber which you will need. Current
good building practice is to use 2 x 6 fascia for strength and
endurance. Makes hanging gutters much easier, but costs a bit more.
Stainless screws in the rafter tails will last many years, too.

Joe

If the fascia is rotting, what are the chances that the rafters are too?
And then what?

Sister the rafter ends?

[email protected] July 3rd 11 05:39 PM

Replacing fascia board and gutter: how hard?

On Sun, 3 Jul 2011 05:16:16 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Jul 2, 6:40*pm, Joe wrote:
On Jul 2, 9:36*am, woger151 wrote:

The fascia board on our addition is rotting out. *How hard is it to
replace that and the gutter?

In this particular case, the gutter isn't too far off the ground
(maybe 7 or 8 feet). *It's not all that long, maybe 12-15 feet.

I'm pretty handy, but not all that experienced.

Easy done if you build up a low walkway and have help. Two people are
ideal for handling long pieces of lumber which you will need. Current
good building practice is to use 2 x 6 fascia for strength and
endurance.

Say what? I've never seen a 2 by used for fascia. For endurance
I would use 1" in vinyl.

Sure, a 1x isn't much to hang a gutter on.

Colbyt July 3rd 11 11:48 PM

"woger151" wrote in message
The fascia board on our addition is rotting out. How hard is it to
replace that and the gutter?

In this particular case, the gutter isn't too far off the ground
(maybe 7 or 8 feet). It's not all that long, maybe 12-15 feet.

I'm pretty handy, but not all that experienced.

It can be unbelievably simple or the job from hell. If the roof line is
truly straight where the board attaches it is easy. As another poster
mentioned, scabbing a rotten tail or three is no big deal, just scribe and
cut them.

If not you may have to finesse the board to get a tight fit.

The gutters are easy if you use the concealed hanger brackets. The old
style nails and ferules don't have much bite in a 3/4" board.

--
Colbyt

Mike July 5th 11 12:03 AM

Replacing fascia board and gutter: how hard?

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"woger151" wrote in message
The fascia board on our addition is rotting out. How hard is it to
replace that and the gutter?

In this particular case, the gutter isn't too far off the ground
(maybe 7 or 8 feet). It's not all that long, maybe 12-15 feet.

I'm pretty handy, but not all that experienced.

It can be unbelievably simple or the job from hell. If the roof line is
truly straight where the board attaches it is easy. As another poster
mentioned, scabbing a rotten tail or three is no big deal, just scribe and
cut them.

If not you may have to finesse the board to get a tight fit.

The gutters are easy if you use the concealed hanger brackets. The old
style nails and ferules don't have much bite in a 3/4" board.

--
Colbyt

The reason gutter spikes were so long was for nailing into the
rafter/trusses.