Posted to alt.home.repair
cj cj is offline

Default window mounted a/c unit

my 3 year old haier a/c unit stopped working and instead of tossing it i
am going to fart around with it to see if i can get it going. when i
plug in the power cord i hear an audible beep, the power board (fan
speed,timer etc. ) lights up but after a few seconds goes dark and none
of the controls work. it was moved last winter whilst in storage and
accidentally dropped. thoughts, comments?
thanks, cj
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 2:45*pm, cj wrote:
my 3 year old haier a/c unit stopped working and instead of tossing it i
am going to fart around with it to see if i can get it going. when i
plug in the power cord i hear an audible beep, the power board (fan
speed,timer etc. ) lights up but after a few seconds goes dark and none
of the controls work. it was moved last winter whilst in storage and
accidentally dropped. thoughts, comments?

You may not want my thoughts and comments on this one....

If you're stumped at this stage of the game, attempting to proceed
further will only result in brain damage.

Really you need to know something about air conditioners and
electronics to effectively troubleshoot this thing. There's no
"learning" to be had there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 20:36:30 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

On 6/15/2011 3:27 PM, wrote:
On Jun 15, 2:45 pm, wrote:
my 3 year old haier a/c unit stopped working and instead of tossing it i
am going to fart around with it to see if i can get it going. when i
plug in the power cord i hear an audible beep, the power board (fan
speed,timer etc. ) lights up but after a few seconds goes dark and none
of the controls work. it was moved last winter whilst in storage and
accidentally dropped. thoughts, comments?

You may not want my thoughts and comments on this one....

If you're stumped at this stage of the game, attempting to proceed
further will only result in brain damage.

Really you need to know something about air conditioners and
electronics to effectively troubleshoot this thing. There's no
"learning" to be had there.

He is at the 'nothing to lose' stage. Costs nothing but time to pull the
guts out of the skin, and look for obvious mechanical damage that even a
non-techie can fix. Back when microwaves still cost a couple hundred, I
pulled several out of dumpsters, and most came back to life with nothing
more than a field-strip and cleaning, including push-on connectors and
safety interlocks. Sold a couple in garage sales, gave the rest to
relatives or Goodwill.

Well, hell, I've put several into dumpsters that were in perfect working
order. Maybe you got mine? ;-)

I just gave one (an over-the-stove, w/hood) model to the local Christian
recycle place. ...and a couple of days later they came to pick up the stove
that was under it. The write-off is even better than paying the garbage man.
;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 14:45:36 -0400, cj wrote:

my 3 year old haier a/c unit stopped working and instead of tossing it i
am going to fart around with it to see if i can get it going. when i
plug in the power cord i hear an audible beep, the power board (fan
speed,timer etc. ) lights up but after a few seconds goes dark and none
of the controls work. it was moved last winter whilst in storage and
accidentally dropped. thoughts, comments?
thanks, cj

You might have cracked/bent and broken the circuit board. I would
think it only has copper traces (wire substitutes) on one or two
sides, not in the middle. See which traces are broken, even a small
crack with no visible light coming through is probably a break) and
solder jumper wires from one solder point to another (rather than
trying to solder to the trace. Although you can do that too, I think,
if you scrape the varnish off the copper, which sometimes is thin.)

Also see which parts are broken, a wire leed pulled out of a small
capacitor. That could be a bigger problem but you probably won't find
anything like that.

My roommate long ago had a an AM/FM/TV alarm clock. I've never seen
another one. His father got mad and threw it at him, he told me. The
circuit board was bent and cracked and sepearated, and I had to run 13
jumper wires, but after that it worked fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/15/2011 8:45 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 20:36:30 -0400, wrote:

On 6/15/2011 3:27 PM,
wrote:
On Jun 15, 2:45 pm, wrote:
[...]

I never ****-can working equipment of any sort. Sell, Goodwill, or give
away at gunpoint at times. Any time I am tempted to toss something that
still works, I see my long-dead Grampa (who I got the trashpicking gene
from) shaking his head and scowling at me. Drove my Grandma nuts for 50+
years with all the crap he dragged home from wherever. Took us over a
week to empty out his basement when the time came, and we found good
homes for almost all of it. I finally put the dregs out by the street,
and most was gone by morning. He had a good excuse- having to flee a
upper-middle-class professional existence with just the clothes on their
backs, and one small suitcase each, and move halfway around the world,
does tend to make you paranoid that hard times will come again.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've still got a high voltage diode for repairing
microwaves. 12.5 KV, I think it is.

As to the OP and the AC, not a lot of encouragement, from
here. But, not much to lose. I'd ask a local handyman if
you can find one.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"aemeijers" wrote in message

He is at the 'nothing to lose' stage. Costs nothing but time
to pull the
guts out of the skin, and look for obvious mechanical damage
that even a
non-techie can fix. Back when microwaves still cost a couple
hundred, I
pulled several out of dumpsters, and most came back to life
with nothing
more than a field-strip and cleaning, including push-on
connectors and
safety interlocks. Sold a couple in garage sales, gave the
rest to
relatives or Goodwill.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm a generation or two away from the Great Depression, and
I've got the trash picker gene.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"aemeijers" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jun 15, 2:45 pm, wrote:
[...]

My father was like that (parents were teens during the depression). I brought
several tons of scrap crap out of the attic after he died. He ripped WW-II
surplus equipment apart for the screws, though I don't think he ever actually
used any of them. ...and then saved everything. I'm not like that at all.
With few exceptions, if it doesn't get used in a year or so, it gets trashed.
I'm done moving crap around with me. That said, I still have a pretty good
pile of Maple (2x10s) and Ash (1 x rough) that's been following me around
through three interstate moves in the last 25-30 years. ;-)

Nah, if it's not being used it goes to the dump. The microwave and stove were
only three years old (contractor grade stuff) so I decided someone could
really use them. Shoulda given the dishwasher and fridge to 'em too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 8:55*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

I'd locate the power supply for the control board and display. Find
out if you have a normal voltage for a digital board. Voltages of
5V and 12V are typical. Look for any obvious cracks, cold solder
joints, or burned components or traces on the board. Given the
price of these today, I wouldn't spend too much time and
certainly very little on any parts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message

stuff snipped

Drove my Grandma nuts for 50+
years with all the crap he dragged home from wherever. Took us over a
week to empty out his basement when the time came, and we found good
homes for almost all of it. I finally put the dregs out by the street,
and most was gone by morning. He had a good excuse- having to flee a
upper-middle-class professional existence with just the clothes on their
backs, and one small suitcase each, and move halfway around the world,
does tend to make you paranoid that hard times will come again.

Exactly! My father had the trash-picker gene from the Great Depression,
which my OCD neat-freak mom hated. She, however, would not waste an iota of
food. Milk going bad? Pudding time. Bananas getting mushy? Banana bread
day. She did, however, send my off to my SATs after feeding me bacon and
eggs and I had the worst stomach cramps ever! When I got home, for some
reason I was looking through the garbage and found some very green bacon.
She had cut away the parts that looked good and fed them to me, not
realizing that when the left side of the bacon is green, the right side is
probably almost as bad, but the bacteria had not fully bloomed yet.

There's nothing like having to flee a place where you had a good job, a
house and lots of things with only a suitcase to color your life view in
serious ways. Those were my grandparents. Couple their pathology to my Mom
and Dad having lived through the Great Depression and you get those sorts of
hoard/don't waste a single thing behaviors.

Good for you finding homes for things and repairing simple-to-fix items
that would have added to our overflowing trash dumps. Our current society
is geared exactly opposite. Only the latest is good enough, everything else
gets trashed. As our automakers discovered, when push comes to shove people
can keep those hoopties running long enough in a pinch to nearly collapse
the industry, which *depends* on people wanting the latest and greatest,
damn the rest. The problem is that manufacturers now build on this
principle and less and less stuff is repairable without replacing entire
assemblies that often cost more than the original item!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 12:14*am, "Robert Green"
wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message

[...]

I'm beginning to understand your gene pool.

A/C Window unit 10K MikeL Home Repair 17 July 31st 07 05:02 AM
Is hole size standardised for window-mounted fans? David Peters UK diy 0 April 5th 06 09:40 PM
squealing window-mounted extractor fan [email protected] UK diy 5 November 30th 05 09:53 AM
Central Air v. Window-unit Air? Nehmo Home Ownership 143 August 20th 05 08:33 AM
Window-mounted bathroom exhaust fan? Brian E. Clark Home Repair 1 May 22nd 05 11:52 AM