Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default squealing window-mounted extractor fan

Hi

I've got an Airflow 4" window-mounted extractor fan in the bathroom.
Last winter it started squealing and I used to tap it and eventually it
would stop. The squealing stops in spring. It restarted its howl a
couple of weeks ago. Tapping and banging doesn't work this season.

Today I took the thing apart, spent an hour cleaning every bit of
grimey dirt from it, put it back together and reconnected. When
'hanging loose' and rotated about 90 degrees from its installed
position it doesn't squeal: encouraging. I fitted it back into the
window and it started squealing again!

Any ideas how to fix this? Any ideas why the bloody thing squeals only
in winter?!

Cheers for any help,

Emma

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mrcheerful

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

I've got an Airflow 4" window-mounted extractor fan in the bathroom.
Last winter it started squealing and I used to tap it and eventually it
would stop. The squealing stops in spring. It restarted its howl a
couple of weeks ago. Tapping and banging doesn't work this season.

Today I took the thing apart, spent an hour cleaning every bit of
grimey dirt from it, put it back together and reconnected. When
'hanging loose' and rotated about 90 degrees from its installed
position it doesn't squeal: encouraging. I fitted it back into the
window and it started squealing again!

Any ideas how to fix this? Any ideas why the bloody thing squeals only
in winter?!

Cheers for any help,

Emma

you need to get some lubrication at each end of the motor, a hypo type
syringe with some oil is the ideal device, so if you have an inkjet refill
set, use a syringe out of that, either way try not to drown it in oil, just
a bit where the shaft rotates, just at each end of the motor.

mrcheerful

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

I was too embarrassed to say that I sprayed some WD40 in what I thought
was the right place but it didn't do any good! I'll try and dig out
some kind of syringe and put some proper thicker oil in. I wonder why
it's just once the temperature gets down to 5C or less. Will report
back.

Cheers

Emma

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Fuxit

I was too embarrassed to say that I sprayed some WD40 in what I thought
was the right place but it didn't do any good! I'll try and dig out
some kind of syringe and put some proper thicker oil in. I wonder why
it's just once the temperature gets down to 5C or less. Will report
back.

Don't use thicker oil, use paraffin or white spirit; either of these
will soften the congealed oil that was impregnated into the bearings
when manufactured.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was too embarrassed to say that I sprayed some WD40 in what I thought
was the right place but it didn't do any good! I'll try and dig out
some kind of syringe and put some proper thicker oil in. I wonder why
it's just once the temperature gets down to 5C or less. Will report
back.

Don't use thicker oil, use paraffin or white spirit; either of these
will soften the congealed oil that was impregnated into the bearings
when manufactured.

Ok, will do (at the weekend). I hope it works!

Emma

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mrcheerful

wrote in message
ups.com...
I was too embarrassed to say that I sprayed some WD40 in what I thought
was the right place but it didn't do any good! I'll try and dig out
some kind of syringe and put some proper thicker oil in. I wonder why
it's just once the temperature gets down to 5C or less. Will report
back.

Don't use thicker oil, use paraffin or white spirit; either of these
will soften the congealed oil that was impregnated into the bearings
when manufactured.

Ok, will do (at the weekend). I hope it works!

Emma

WD40 dries out too fast to be any real help, some light oil will be fine
though.
Best general lubricating stuff I ever found (20 years ago) was called
TRIFLON but it doesn't seem to available any more.

mrcheerful