Posted to alt.home.repair

Default window mounted a/c unit

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 20:36:30 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

On 6/15/2011 3:27 PM, wrote:
On Jun 15, 2:45 pm, wrote:
my 3 year old haier a/c unit stopped working and instead of tossing it i
am going to fart around with it to see if i can get it going. when i
plug in the power cord i hear an audible beep, the power board (fan
speed,timer etc. ) lights up but after a few seconds goes dark and none
of the controls work. it was moved last winter whilst in storage and
accidentally dropped. thoughts, comments?

You may not want my thoughts and comments on this one....

If you're stumped at this stage of the game, attempting to proceed
further will only result in brain damage.

Really you need to know something about air conditioners and
electronics to effectively troubleshoot this thing. There's no
"learning" to be had there.

He is at the 'nothing to lose' stage. Costs nothing but time to pull the
guts out of the skin, and look for obvious mechanical damage that even a
non-techie can fix. Back when microwaves still cost a couple hundred, I
pulled several out of dumpsters, and most came back to life with nothing
more than a field-strip and cleaning, including push-on connectors and
safety interlocks. Sold a couple in garage sales, gave the rest to
relatives or Goodwill.

Well, hell, I've put several into dumpsters that were in perfect working
order. Maybe you got mine? ;-)

I just gave one (an over-the-stove, w/hood) model to the local Christian
recycle place. ...and a couple of days later they came to pick up the stove
that was under it. The write-off is even better than paying the garbage man.
;-)