Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How To Repair Crumbling Cinder Block?

How can I fix the problem shown in the following pictures:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69/badcinder.jpg/

This crumbling cinder block is right next to the side door of a
garage. Some of the door frame can be seen inside the hole but there
is also some of the cinder block left on the door side of the hole.

The block has (had) a ~1/2" skim coat inside and out, but most of it
is gone on the inside and it's crumbling next to the door on the
outside (look below the hole).

If I built forms inside and out, could I fill the area with concrete
to fix it? If so, what kind of concrete would I use? What prep to the
rest of the existing block would be required?

If it helps at all, replacing the door would not be a bad thing for
this garage, so if ripping out the door frame would make the repair
easier, I will do that.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 14, 8:03*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Where do you live, are termites a possible problem, what made the
cinder block crumble, moisture that froze, etc?
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote the following:
How can I fix the problem shown in the following pictures:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69/badcinder.jpg/

This crumbling cinder block is right next to the side door of a
garage. Some of the door frame can be seen inside the hole but there
is also some of the cinder block left on the door side of the hole.

The block has (had) a ~1/2" skim coat inside and out, but most of it
is gone on the inside and it's crumbling next to the door on the
outside (look below the hole).

If I built forms inside and out, could I fill the area with concrete
to fix it? If so, what kind of concrete would I use?

Yes. Bagged concrete.
I know some people still refer to this block as 'cinder block', but it
is different than cinder block. This is 'concrete block'.
Cinder block was more darker in color having been made from burnt coal
cinders. I don't think that they even make cinder block anymore,

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 14, 9:13*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
[...]

Western NY.

How would termites do that to a cinder block?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/14/2011 9:27 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 14, 9:13 pm, "hr(bob)
wrote:
On Jun 14, 8:03 pm, wrote:

[...]

Prolly got full of water and froze, from a leak around door. Before I
tried to form-in-place, I'd look real hard to see if I could whack the
broken block out with a sledge, and tuck a new one in there. Garage
walls are pretty flexible, especially if they aren't rocked on the
inside. May be able to jack wall at sill plate, or at the top of the
door rough opening, and get enough clearance to english a new block in
there.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

[...]

Hack out all the crumbling blocks necessary and buy some bagged mortar
mix and decent brick. Read up on simple bricklaying and fill in the
gaps left by the crumbled block with brick. Standard brick sizes
should match the vacant spots pretty well and good mortar mix is
robust enough for building support. Best of all, you can start and
stop the job as your time permits. Address the cosmetic concerns, if
any, with recommended brick/masonry finishes.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 14, 8:27*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 14, 9:13*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

[...]

How would termites do that to a cinder block?- Hide quoted text -

If termites ate into the wood, then perhaps moisture could get to the
concrete blocks more easily and hasten its disintegration.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 11:52*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Can Thinset be used to fill a space with the volume I'm dealing with?

You want aggregate - it makes the concrete stronger. What dadiOH
meant was that if you can't use concrete due to the aggregate size,
you can fill in the smaller gaps with thinset/mortar.

I'm estimating (from memory) ~ 128 cubic inches, right?

8" block width x 4" height x 4" length

(I'm including odd shaped spaces below and to the sides of the hole.)

I'd chip out the old block, back to where it's solid, and infill with
new block set in mortar, fill the block solid and parge inside and
out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 5:00*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Jun 16, 11:52*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Can Thinset be used to fill a space with the volume I'm dealing with?

You want aggregate - it makes the concrete stronger. *What dadiOH
meant was that if you can't use concrete due to the aggregate size,
you can fill in the smaller gaps with thinset/mortar.

I'm estimating (from memory) ~ 128 cubic inches, right?

8" block width x 4" height x 4" length

(I'm including odd shaped spaces below and to the sides of the hole.)

I'd chip out the old block, back to where it's solid, and infill with
new block set in mortar, fill the block solid and parge inside and
out.

I was in HD this afternoon and saw 2 guys (customers) loading bags of
cement onto a cart. I asked if I could pick their brain(s) and they
too suggested chipping out the old block and replacing it.

The block in question is in the corner of the garage with one 16 OC
stud bay above it. The jack stud for the door also sits on the sill
plate that rests on this block.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69/badcinder.jpg/

I assume I should support the wall with a brace between the top plate
and the garage floor, right? I shouldn't rely on just the door jamb to
support the wall. (There's a room above the garage. The knee wall in
that room is right above where I'll be taking the block out.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 6:37*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 16, 5:00*pm, RicodJour wrote:

On Jun 16, 11:52*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Can Thinset be used to fill a space with the volume I'm dealing with?

You want aggregate - it makes the concrete stronger. *What dadiOH
meant was that if you can't use concrete due to the aggregate size,
you can fill in the smaller gaps with thinset/mortar.

I'm estimating (from memory) ~ 128 cubic inches, right?

8" block width x 4" height x 4" length

(I'm including odd shaped spaces below and to the sides of the hole.)

I'd chip out the old block, back to where it's solid, and infill with
new block set in mortar, fill the block solid and parge inside and
out.

I was in HD this afternoon and saw 2 guys (customers) loading bags of
cement onto a cart. I asked if I could pick their brain(s) and they
too suggested chipping out the old block and replacing it.

You're really still in the diagnosis stage - you're trying to find out
how bad the situation is. Once you start chipping you might find that
there's more than one crumbing block.

The block in question is in the corner of the garage with one 16 OC
stud bay above it. The jack stud for the door also sits on the sill
plate that rests on this block.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69/badcinder.jpg/

I assume I should support the wall with a brace between the top plate
and the garage floor, right? I shouldn't rely on just the door jamb to
support the wall. (There's a room above the garage. The knee wall in
that room is right above where I'll be taking the block out.)

If the door wasn't there I'd probably just knock out the single block
and do the repair, but it's always best to be cautious, so sure,
install temporary shoring of some sort.

cinder block cover Kevin Home Repair 5 October 30th 06 12:25 AM
Cinder Block Wall Repair [email protected] Home Repair 10 February 17th 06 05:33 PM
Cinder Block hole repair... Steve Home Repair 9 December 28th 05 06:13 AM
Cinder block wall J Hawkes Home Repair 4 December 15th 05 04:21 AM
Splitting a cinder block Bill White Home Repair 4 August 21st 04 05:28 PM