Posted to alt.home.repair
J Hawkes

Default Cinder block wall

I have an interior cinder block wall in a room in my basement. I'm
making this room into a bathroom. I'd like to conserve space and not
frame this one wall. My goal is to have a smooth wall to match the
sheetrock walls in the rest of the room. My questions are; Is there any
type of plaster or mix I can spread on the block? If I use a mix or
something, would caulking be best to make the joint at the sheetrock
ceiling? Also I want a shower kit on this block wall, should I do
anything different behind it? And a little off the subject is green
sheetrock needed on the ceiling & every wall in bathroom, or just where
it might get wet? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

--
J Hawkes
Posted to alt.home.repair
dp

Why bother with a mess. Why don't you just glue or screw sheet rock to the
cinderblock ? OR
You can frame the wall with 1x 2 strapping, that will only take up 3/4''
plus the thickness of the sheet rock, it will give you something to screw
to. "Green" sheet rock has a mildew guard, I would advise using this plus an
oil paint to repel water. Caulking will not do as a subsitute for a properly
taped joint with compound.
Lastly, make sure you have an exhaust fan and heat in there to combat mold.

"J Hawkes" wrote in message
m...

I have an interior cinder block wall in a room in my basement. I'm
making this room into a bathroom. I'd like to conserve space and not
frame this one wall. My goal is to have a smooth wall to match the
sheetrock walls in the rest of the room. My questions are; Is there any
type of plaster or mix I can spread on the block? If I use a mix or
something, would caulking be best to make the joint at the sheetrock
ceiling? Also I want a shower kit on this block wall, should I do
anything different behind it? And a little off the subject is green
sheetrock needed on the ceiling & every wall in bathroom, or just where
it might get wet? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

--
J Hawkes

Posted to alt.home.repair

Right on.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"J Hawkes" wrote in message
m...

I have an interior cinder block wall in a room in my basement. I'm
making this room into a bathroom. I'd like to conserve space and not
frame this one wall.

If you live an in area that has warm climate, it is possible to put the
drywall right on the block. If you live in a cooler area, the two inches of
some framing and insulation will be much better off comfort and utility wise
it is worth the space loss.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

J Hawkes wrote:
I have an interior cinder block wall in a room in my basement. I'm
making this room into a bathroom. I'd like to conserve space and not
frame this one wall. My goal is to have a smooth wall to match the
sheetrock walls in the rest of the room. My questions are; Is there any
type of plaster or mix I can spread on the block? If I use a mix or
something, would caulking be best to make the joint at the sheetrock
ceiling? Also I want a shower kit on this block wall, should I do
anything different behind it? And a little off the subject is green
sheetrock needed on the ceiling & every wall in bathroom, or just where
it might get wet? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

You can plaster right on to the block wall, or you can bond drywall
directly to the block with a skim coat of joint compound.

If you want to have a waterproof installation for a tiled shower, you
can use a brush on liquid waterproofing membrane such as
http://tinyurl.com/8gn3r, which can also be used in lieu of a separate
shower pan liner. Then you can tile right over the membrane with
modified thinset.

BTW, if you're going to tile forget greenboard. The stuff sucks, is
not even close to waterproof and is just meant to hold up a _little_
better to moisture (not water) than standard drywall. Use a
backerboard, such as Wedi, Durock, Hardiboard or Wonderboard if you're
going with tile.

If you're intending to use a vinyl shower surround, you don't have to
do anything special to the wall behind it. Just glue it up.