Bill White

Default Splitting a cinder block

This group helped me out so much with my last DIY question that I'm going to
turn to you again.

1. What is the best way to split a cinder block in half using either a brick
set or 7 inch (circular saw) masonary blade?
2. What is the best way to smooth the cinder block halfs after I split them?

These blocks are being used in patio steps so I want the edges to be as
clean as possible so they look nice (I'll be painting them white). I've
already split one cinder block with a brick set and another with the saw,
but I'm not happy with either because of the rough edges I'm getting. So,
I'm looking to this group to tell me the proper way to do the splitting.

Thanks for your help!
Bill White

Greg

Why not just buy the size you need?
If you watch real builders you won't see them cutting many blocks. Block comes
in just about any size you want in 2" increments.
FireBrick

As a retired, licensed, Chicago mason contractor, I'd advise against even
touching 'cinder' block.
Cinder block will not last very long in or on the ground plus they will
leech acid into the soil.
Not sure where you got them, as they haven't been made in maybe 40 years.

I 'think' you mean CONCRETE block, and sawing them neatly, requires a
diamond blade on a wet saw.
I masonry blade on a skill saw will work but just barely.

But seeing as your local CONCRETE block/brick company makes all kinds of
size combinations, I'd buy the proper size, and trim they with a wet saw.

I also suggest AGAINST painting them, buy blocks that already have color
added to the mix.
Once you paint them, you will have to paint them every few years ...
forever.
And painting a patio setup is sure to take mucho paint and fade, chip, wear
off, very quickly.

If you must paint them, stick to neutral earth tone colors.
In 40 years I've never seen a patio or stairs, that were painted white every
look clean.

Hope my suggestions are because of many years of experience.
I'm not trying to dump on your ideas, but I made more money fixing poor
choices than I did when I started from scratch.

"Bill White" wrote in message
This group helped me out so much with my last DIY question that I'm going
turn to you again.

1. What is the best way to split a cinder block in half using either a
brick
set or 7 inch (circular saw) masonary blade?
2. What is the best way to smooth the cinder block halfs after I split
them?

These blocks are being used in patio steps so I want the edges to be as
clean as possible so they look nice (I'll be painting them white). I've
already split one cinder block with a brick set and another with the saw,
but I'm not happy with either because of the rough edges I'm getting. So,
I'm looking to this group to tell me the proper way to do the splitting.

Thanks for your help!
Bill White

Bill White

Thanks a lot for all the good info. You're right about the term "cinder". I
used it in the same sense that people still call aluminum foil "tin" foil.
In fact, I just heard a teenager on TV call it tin foil a few weeks ago. So,
I imagine concrete blocks will continue to be called cinder blocks for many
years to come.

I only wish I got to hear your good advice a month ago. But, I now have a
yard full of grey blocks and only a few days to prepare the house for a
wedding shower. Certainly not enough time to haul everything back and buy
colored blocks. On the plus side, I find my power washer to be a huge asset
so, hopefully, it'll help me keep the patio looking new.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Bill