Posted to alt.home.repair

Default any ideas for unwanted sand?

what to do with it? Got four 75 lb. bags in my pickup truck left over
from winter. No use for it. Any ideas besides throwing it in the trash
bin @ the dump? Am starting to use truck regularly and don't want to
rip bags/ make mess and the extra weight can't help mileage... but now
while I have no use for them I also have no place to store until next
winter where the plastic won't degrade in the sun and/or be at risk of
being ripped.

Trying to think of some way to get rid of them, but new are so cheap
that I'm thinking that most people that *need* sand just go to stoneyard
and buy it...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 10:41*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
what to do with it? *Got four 75 lb. bags in my pickup truck left over
from winter. *No use for it. *Any ideas besides throwing it in the trash
bin @ the dump? *Am starting to use truck regularly and don't want to
rip bags/ make mess and the extra weight can't help mileage... *but now
while I have no use for them I also have no place to store until next
winter where the plastic won't degrade in the sun and/or be at risk of
being ripped.

Trying to think of some way to get rid of them, but new are so cheap
that I'm thinking that most people that *need* sand just go to stoneyard
and buy it...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

THROW IT AROUND YOUR CORAL FOR YOUR CRAZY OLD ROOSTERS FOOTING.
OR GET SOME UNWANTED PAPER AND SOME UNWANTED GLUE AND MAKE SOME
UNWANTED PAPER THAT SCRATCHES STUFF...THEN, WELL, USE YOUR
IMAGINATION, NOT MINE|
BOOWAHAHAHAHA

TGITM
PATECUM
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 31 May 2011 22:41:55 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

what to do with it? Got four 75 lb. bags in my pickup truck left over
from winter. No use for it. Any ideas besides throwing it in the trash
bin @ the dump? Am starting to use truck regularly and don't want to
rip bags/ make mess and the extra weight can't help mileage... but now
while I have no use for them I also have no place to store until next
winter where the plastic won't degrade in the sun and/or be at risk of
being ripped.

Trying to think of some way to get rid of them, but new are so cheap
that I'm thinking that most people that *need* sand just go to stoneyard
and buy it...

nate

Give them away on Freecycle? Give them away on Craig's list? When
your block has a yard sale, give them away then?

Put a note on your work or church bulletin board or newsletter?

Put a sign at the front of your yard? Take an illegal advertising
sign with an unprinted side, reverse it, and make your sign with an
indelible marker. IF it will help, use one facing each direction and
one facilng the street.

Have your own yard sale and give it away then. Put FREE on a sign in
front of the bags.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

PLEASE M&Ms, GET BACK IN YOUR BAG.
BOOWAHAHAHA

TGITM
PATECUM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 9:41*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
what to do with it? *Got four 75 lb. bags in my pickup truck left over
from winter. *No use for it. *Any ideas besides throwing it in the trash
bin @ the dump? *Am starting to use truck regularly and don't want to
rip bags/ make mess and the extra weight can't help mileage... *but now
while I have no use for them I also have no place to store until next
winter where the plastic won't degrade in the sun and/or be at risk of
being ripped.

Trying to think of some way to get rid of them, but new are so cheap
that I'm thinking that most people that *need* sand just go to stoneyard
and buy it...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I always find a use for the pickup bed sandbags. Find a place to
store them, or one of these days you will be running to the store to
buy a bag of sand to level patio blocks, mix with garden soil, level
the bottom of a small concrete form, etc, etc.

RonB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
what to do with it? Got four 75 lb. bags in my pickup truck left over
from winter. No use for it. Any ideas besides throwing it in the
trash bin @ the dump? Am starting to use truck regularly and don't
want to rip bags/ make mess and the extra weight can't help
mileage... but now while I have no use for them I also have no place
to store until next winter where the plastic won't degrade in the sun
and/or be at risk of being ripped.

Trying to think of some way to get rid of them, but new are so cheap
that I'm thinking that most people that *need* sand just go to
stoneyard and buy it...

Around here, either freecycle of craigslist would find you a teker in minutes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Nate Nagel spewed forth:
what to do with it? Got four 75 lb. bags in my pickup truck left
over
from winter. No use for it. Any ideas besides throwing it in the
trash bin @ the dump? Am starting to use truck regularly and don't
want to rip bags/ make mess and the extra weight can't help
mileage... but now while I have no use for them I also have no place
to store until next winter where the plastic won't degrade in the sun
and/or be at risk of being ripped.

Trying to think of some way to get rid of them, but new are so cheap
that I'm thinking that most people that *need* sand just go to
stoneyard and buy it...

nate

put them in your fertilizer spreader and broadcast around your yard
Ya get rid of them plus you get some exercise

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
what to do with it? Got four 75 lb. bags in my pickup truck left over
from winter. No use for it. Any ideas besides throwing it in the trash
bin @ the dump? Am starting to use truck regularly and don't want to rip
bags/ make mess and the extra weight can't help mileage... but now while
I have no use for them I also have no place to store until next winter
where the plastic won't degrade in the sun and/or be at risk of being
ripped.

Trying to think of some way to get rid of them, but new are so cheap that
I'm thinking that most people that *need* sand just go to stoneyard and
buy it...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I sometimes see signs "clean fill wanted" at people's property. Or put them
at the curb with a FREE sign and they will be snatched up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 9:41 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
what to do with it? Got four 75 lb. bags in my pickup truck left over
from winter. No use for it. Any ideas besides throwing it in the trash
bin @ the dump? Am starting to use truck regularly and don't want to
rip bags/ make mess and the extra weight can't help mileage... but now
while I have no use for them I also have no place to store until next
winter where the plastic won't degrade in the sun and/or be at risk of
being ripped.

Trying to think of some way to get rid of them, but new are so cheap
that I'm thinking that most people that *need* sand just go to stoneyard
and buy it...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Andy comments;

Put them on your local www.craigslist.org Maybe you can get
a couple bucks each, but, for sure, someone can haul them off
for you....

Andy in Eureka, Texas
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2011 9:41 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
what to do with it? Got four 75 lb. bags in my pickup truck left over
from winter. No use for it. Any ideas besides throwing it in the trash
bin @ the dump? Am starting to use truck regularly and don't want to rip
bags/ make mess and the extra weight can't help mileage... but now while
I have no use for them I also have no place to store until next winter
where the plastic won't degrade in the sun and/or be at risk of being
ripped.

Trying to think of some way to get rid of them, but new are so cheap
that I'm thinking that most people that *need* sand just go to stoneyard
and buy it...

nate

no one you know have a garden? broadcast it on a garden to help break
up stubborn soil.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 8:47*am, Steve Barker wrote:
[...]

OF COURSE, THEY CAN USE IT AS FILLER FOR A HEMP PLANTATION.
BOOWAHAHAHA....I'LlL TAKE WHATS BEHIND CURTAIN # 1.
TGITM
PATECUM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 7:41*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
what to do with it? *Got four 75 lb. bags in my pickup truck left over
from winter. *No use for it. *Any ideas besides throwing it in the trash
bin @ the dump? *Am starting to use truck regularly and don't want to
rip bags/ make mess and the extra weight can't help mileage... *but now
while I have no use for them I also have no place to store until next
winter where the plastic won't degrade in the sun and/or be at risk of
being ripped.

Trying to think of some way to get rid of them, but new are so cheap
that I'm thinking that most people that *need* sand just go to stoneyard
and buy it...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Pick up some free ubiquitous "white bucket"s and store it in there.
Be easier to handle next year anyhow.

Put them on the curb with the $5 price sign - they will disappear in
sort order. "Free" sand sign may not work

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 11:19*am, Harry K wrote:
[...]

YOUR LOGIC IS ILL, BUT MAY JUST WORK.
TEEHEEHEE.....BUT WHY SETUP THE NEIGHBORS OR THEIR KIDS FOR A FALL?
FREE SAND IS HIS PLAN..HE SHOULD BE TRUE TO HIS PLAN.
PATECUM
TGITM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2011 9:41 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
what to do with it? Got four 75 lb. bags in my pickup truck left over
from winter. No use for it. Any ideas besides throwing it in the trash
bin @ the dump? Am starting to use truck regularly and don't want to
rip bags/ make mess and the extra weight can't help mileage... but now
while I have no use for them I also have no place to store until next
winter where the plastic won't degrade in the sun and/or be at risk of
being ripped.

Trying to think of some way to get rid of them, but new are so cheap
that I'm thinking that most people that *need* sand just go to
stoneyard and buy it...

Dump it on the patio and throw a beach party.

(Seriously - ask a neighbor or local day care center if they'd want it
for their sandbox.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
[...]

That's a good idea, if you want only thieves to get them, and not honest people.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 8:17*am, Andy wrote:
[...]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Andy in Eureka, Texas- Hide quoted text -

Or put them at the curb with a sign that says free sand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2011 10:41 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
what to do with it? Got four 75 lb. bags in my pickup truck left over
from winter. No use for it. Any ideas besides throwing it in the trash
bin @ the dump? Am starting to use truck regularly and don't want to rip
bags/ make mess and the extra weight can't help mileage... but now while
I have no use for them I also have no place to store until next winter
where the plastic won't degrade in the sun and/or be at risk of being
ripped.

Trying to think of some way to get rid of them, but new are so cheap
that I'm thinking that most people that *need* sand just go to stoneyard
and buy it...

nate

Any public beaches near you? Sneak it out there one bag at a time,
draped over your shoulders, and cut a corner of the bag as you walk up
and down the beach.

But seriously- is it the rough nasty stuff, or the sanitized stuff like
they sell for sandboxes? Anybody with small kids always needs to top off
the sandbox.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Oren wrote:

Metal shop for sand blasting

A common fallacy, there. Lots of things are used for sandblasting, but
sand isn't one of them. Most common is aluminum oxide, the same stuff of
which sandpaper is made.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In message , ChairMan
writes
In ,
Nate Nagel spewed forth:
what to do with it? Got four 75 lb. bags in my pickup truck left
over
from winter. No use for it. Any ideas besides throwing it in the
trash bin @ the dump? Am starting to use truck regularly and don't
want to rip bags/ make mess and the extra weight can't help
mileage... but now while I have no use for them I also have no place
to store until next winter where the plastic won't degrade in the sun
and/or be at risk of being ripped.

Trying to think of some way to get rid of them, but new are so cheap
that I'm thinking that most people that *need* sand just go to
stoneyard and buy it...

nate

put them in your fertilizer spreader and broadcast around your yard
Ya get rid of them plus you get some exercise

Have you watched the movie "The Great Escape", or even the much earlier
"The Wooden Horse"? As they walked around the exercise area or tended
their vegetable garden, the prisoners disposed of the soil from the
escape tunnels by surreptitiously releasing it from bags concealed in
their trouser legs. Using a similar technique, your local park might
provide a suitable place for dumping the sand. ;o)
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle2402410.ece

Alternatively, you could dig a hole and bury it.
--
Ian

Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On May 31, 10:41*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
what to do with it? *Got four 75 lb. bags in my pickup truck left over
from winter. *No use for it. *Any ideas besides throwing it in the trash
bin @ the dump? *Am starting to use truck regularly and don't want to
rip bags/ make mess and the extra weight can't help mileage... *but now
while I have no use for them I also have no place to store until next
winter where the plastic won't degrade in the sun and/or be at risk of
being ripped.

Trying to think of some way to get rid of them, but new are so cheap
that I'm thinking that most people that *need* sand just go to stoneyard
and buy it...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

My bags been sitting for years. Bags perfect, had to pry firmly apart
to get sand for garden. Still have two. Oh, I can fill that hole in
the yard!!! I didn't think of that. Thank you..

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

what to do with it? Got four 75 lb. bags in my pickup truck left
over from winter. No use for it. Any ideas besides throwing it in
the trash bin @ the dump?

Take a "business reply mail" card from a junk mailer and tape it to the
outside of a bag.

Jon

From: N8N
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 04:50:04 -0700 (PDT)

"I know you won't believe it, but my employer would likely miss me
greatly if I left, even though I haven't worked in an engineering
capacity for something like six years now."
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...5?dmode=source
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2011 11:04 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
wrote:

Metal shop for sand blasting

A common fallacy, there. Lots of things are used for sandblasting, but
sand isn't one of them. Most common is aluminum oxide, the same stuff of
which sandpaper is made.

Nonsense. Sand may be obsolete for fancy or specialty work, but is still
commonly used for rough cleanup, like of old cast iron.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 2, 11:49*pm, aemeijers wrote:
On 6/1/2011 11:04 PM, Smitty Two wrote:

Lots of things are used for sandblasting, but
sand isn't one of them. Most common is aluminum oxide, the same stuff of
which sandpaper is made.

Nonsense. Sand may be obsolete for fancy or specialty work, but is still
commonly used for rough cleanup, like of old cast iron.

And that's silica sand, not the sandbox/mortar varieties available at
the BORG. Moisture controlled sand (sometimes more/less). The kind
where your white metal doesn't sprout rust immediately behind the
nozzle, and/or you don't spend most of your time unclogging the
blaster.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Metal shop for sand blasting

A common fallacy, there. Lots of things are used for sandblasting, but
sand isn't one of them. Most common is aluminum oxide, the same stuff of
which sandpaper is made.

Nonsense. Sand may be obsolete for fancy or specialty work, but is still
commonly used for rough cleanup, like of old cast iron.

All right then. I've never heard of anyone using it in a blast cabinet,
and the instructions that came with my cabinet said not to use it.
Aluminum oxide is dry and clean and a hell of a lot stronger than
silicon sand, and comes in various grits.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2011 12:20 AM, gpsman wrote:
On Jun 2, 11:49 pm, wrote:
On 6/1/2011 11:04 PM, Smitty Two wrote:

Lots of things are used for sandblasting, but
sand isn't one of them. Most common is aluminum oxide, the same stuff of
which sandpaper is made.

Nonsense. Sand may be obsolete for fancy or specialty work, but is still
commonly used for rough cleanup, like of old cast iron.

And that's silica sand, not the sandbox/mortar varieties available at
the BORG. Moisture controlled sand (sometimes more/less). The kind
where your white metal doesn't sprout rust immediately behind the
nozzle, and/or you don't spend most of your time unclogging the
blaster.
-----

I used to buy it in bags at True Value for small jobs. Only difference
I noticed is it was screened for uniform size.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
what to do with it? Got four 75 lb. bags in my pickup truck left over
from winter. No use for it. Any ideas besides throwing it in the
trash bin @ the dump? Am starting to use truck regularly and don't
want to rip bags/ make mess and the extra weight can't help
mileage... but now while I have no use for them I also have no place
to store until next winter where the plastic won't degrade in the sun
and/or be at risk of being ripped.

Trying to think of some way to get rid of them, but new are so cheap
that I'm thinking that most people that *need* sand just go to
stoneyard and buy it...

Same thing you'd do with a broken refrigerator, used motor oil, or
half-filled paint cans.

Leave 'em in a schoolyard during the dark of the moon. We're pretty close
right now, the new moon was June 1st.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jon Danniken" wrote in news:is9ie5
:

wrote:

what to do with it? Got four 75 lb. bags in my pickup truck left
over from winter. No use for it. Any ideas besides throwing it in
the trash bin @ the dump?

Take a "business reply mail" card from a junk mailer and tape it to the
outside of a bag.

Jon

I vote this as best suggestion.

May go out and buy a bag or two.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 2, 11:49 pm, wrote:
On 6/1/2011 11:04 PM, Smitty Two wrote:

Lots of things are used for sandblasting, but
sand isn't one of them. Most common is aluminum oxide, the same stuff of
which sandpaper is made.

Nonsense. Sand may be obsolete for fancy or specialty work, but is still
commonly used for rough cleanup, like of old cast iron.

And that's silica sand, not the sandbox/mortar varieties available at
the BORG. Moisture controlled sand (sometimes more/less). The kind
where your white metal doesn't sprout rust immediately behind the
nozzle, and/or you don't spend most of your time unclogging the
blaster.
-----

- gpsman

You are talking pro metal finishers- I am talking DIYs and shade tree
mechanics and farmers with a HF or similar crude sandblaster they may
use once a year or so. They don't buy expensive blasting media- they go
to the big-box and buy a couple bags of washed sandbox sand for a
fraction of the price. It is usually kept inside, and is usually 'dry
enough'. After blasting, blow off the excess grit, and oil or finish it
to stop the rust flash-over. Plenty good enough for an old clawfoot
bathtub exterior, or car frame, or patio furniture, or whatever, when
you just want to get it clean enough to handle. Stuff where you need
precision and a 'factory' surface, you haul it over to local
metal-finishing job shop with pro-grade equipment.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2011 10:40 AM, Red Green wrote:
"Jon wrote in news:is9ie5
:

wrote:

what to do with it? Got four 75 lb. bags in my pickup truck left
over from winter. No use for it. Any ideas besides throwing it in
the trash bin @ the dump?

Take a "business reply mail" card from a junk mailer and tape it to the
outside of a bag.

Jon

I vote this as best suggestion.

May go out and buy a bag or two.

Doesn't work- USPS changed the rules years ago, and obvious stuff like
this goes straight into the trash.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 2, 11:49 pm, *wrote:
On 6/1/2011 11:04 PM, Smitty Two wrote:

Lots of things are used for sandblasting, but
sand isn't one of them. Most common is aluminum oxide, the same stuff of
which sandpaper is made.

Nonsense. Sand may be obsolete for fancy or specialty work, but is still
commonly used for rough cleanup, like of old cast iron.

And that's silica sand, not the sandbox/mortar varieties available at
the BORG. *Moisture controlled sand (sometimes more/less). *The kind
where your white metal doesn't sprout rust immediately behind the
nozzle, and/or you don't spend most of your time unclogging the
blaster.

You are talking pro metal finishers- I am talking DIYs and shade tree
mechanics and farmers with a HF or similar crude sandblaster they may
use once a year or so.

Now you tell me.

There's nothing really refined about an industrial sandblaster.

They don't buy expensive blasting media- they go
to the big-box and buy a couple bags of washed sandbox sand for a
fraction of the price.

I don't think $12/100# is expensive. And, technically, using sandbox
sand would be more like sand peening, especially using a crude low CFM
compressor.

It is usually kept inside, and is usually 'dry
enough'.

Absolutely. If you don't have a oil/water separator the moisture in
the sand isn't going to make much difference... if you're using one of
those 10 cent plastic pot hand-held "blasters". If you're using a pot
blaster, with a valve to shut off the sand, I wish you luck getting
"dry enough" sand through it.

After blasting, blow off the excess grit, and oil or finish it
to stop the rust flash-over. Plenty good enough for an old clawfoot
bathtub exterior, or car frame, or patio furniture, or whatever, when
you just want to get it clean enough to handle.

What...? Are you oiling or "finishing" it to get it "clean enough to
handle"...?

I'd use gloves. If I didn't have gloves I'd use a pressure washer.
If I didn't have a pressure washer I'd use a garden hose.

Stuff where you need
precision and a 'factory' surface, you haul it over to local
metal-finishing job shop with pro-grade equipment.

If you say so. I always thought of sand blasting as prep for a
finished surface, but I only did it for 2 years.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 10:41*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
what to do with it? *Got four 75 lb. bags in my pickup truck left over
from winter. *No use for it. *Any ideas besides throwing it in the trash
bin @ the dump? *Am starting to use truck regularly and don't want to
rip bags/ make mess and the extra weight can't help mileage... *but now
while I have no use for them I also have no place to store until next
winter where the plastic won't degrade in the sun and/or be at risk of
being ripped.

Trying to think of some way to get rid of them, but new are so cheap
that I'm thinking that most people that *need* sand just go to stoneyard
and buy it...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel