Posted to alt.home.repair
Uno Uno is offline

Default shower drain obstruction

Howdy fellas,

Looking for some DWV tips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COYOl2ZX3FE

I am so ready for this workweek to be finished.

Cheers from the land of enchantment,
--
Uno
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 1:02*am, Uno wrote:
Howdy fellas,

Looking for some DWV tips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COYOl2ZX3FE

I am so ready for this workweek to be finished.

Cheers from the land of enchantment,
--
Uno

YOU'RE HIGH ON FUMES......GET A BETTER JOB AND STAY AWAY FROM PIPES
AND DRAINS.
TGITM
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uno wrote in :

Howdy fellas,

Looking for some DWV tips:

http://www.youtube.com/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am so ready for this workweek to be finished.

Cheers from the land of enchantment,

Retarded post. No info. Obviously spam. Nope, no clickie from me. Is this a
dumb **** survey?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Red Green wrote in
:

Uno wrote in
:

Howdy fellas,

Looking for some DWV tips:

http://www.youtube.com/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am so ready for this workweek to be finished.

Cheers from the land of enchantment,

Retarded post. No info. Obviously spam. Nope, no clickie from me. Is
this a dumb **** survey?

No problem with the video. Poor guy has a slow drain, and cant auger his
way past a "solid obstruction". Since the water does eventually drain,
it isn't a total obstruction.

My bath also gets very slow to drain. Most likely because there isn't
much pitch between tub and stack. Generally no big clogs (except the
usual hair clog when longhaired people visit for a long time). Drain
gets much better when I use a plumbers helper vigorously with overflow
and vanity sink plugged. This brings up lots of black gooey stuff that
can be flushed through, and then the drain is fine again for a year or
so. Should have redone the drain pipe when the kitchen ceiling was open.
Too many different materials were used in that drain pipe ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 1:02*am, Uno wrote:
Howdy fellas,

Looking for some DWV tips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COYOl2ZX3FE

I am so ready for this workweek to be finished.

Cheers from the land of enchantment,
--
Uno

So what's under it? I'm guessing there must be a reaon you're not
checking the pipes below the shower base. Is it in a slab? Have you
watched somewhere along the way at a clean out to see if the water is
actually draining through the system? You might have a crushed pipe
that is simply draining into the ground now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 1:02*am, Uno wrote:
Howdy fellas,

Looking for some DWV tips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COYOl2ZX3FE

I am so ready for this workweek to be finished.

Cheers from the land of enchantment,
--
Uno

Has this drain ever worked? It looks like the shower stall has never
been used. New construction or something that?

In any case...

The first slide in your video says "Slab on grade" so I'm assuming
this drain is under the slab, i.e. not on an upper floor where you
have any access below the drain.

A later slide says: "The other drain is closer to the curb."

My question:

Is the problem drain so far into the house that there no way roots
from a nearby tree could have entered the pipe at the distance you can
reach with the auger?

A decent sized root might feel like a hard obstruction to the auger.

Have you consider renting a power snake with a cutting head to power
your way through the obstruction?

Based on the size of the drain, I'm thinking no larger than a 1/2". I
don't think a 3/4" snake will make the turn through the trap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 23, 3:55*pm, Uno wrote:
On 5/22/2011 6:40 AM, Han wrote:

Red *wrote in
:

*wrote in
:

[...]

I got **nothing** with my hand auger, not a single hair, no sludge.
We'll see how I do with a power augur. *cheers,
--
Uno- Hide quoted text -

Be careful with one of those. They rip up plastic pipe pretty easy
when it's old. I remember the old neighborhood my mother lived in
down in FL had a lot of drainage troubles. Guys would come in with
power augers, tear up some poor guys dw system and then hit him up for
a couple grand to replace it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Uno Uno is offline

On 5/23/2011 6:28 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:
On May 22, 1:02 am, wrote:
Howdy fellas,

Looking for some DWV tips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COYOl2ZX3FE

I am so ready for this workweek to be finished.

Cheers from the land of enchantment,
--
Uno

So what's under it? I'm guessing there must be a reaon you're not
checking the pipes below the shower base. Is it in a slab? Have you
watched somewhere along the way at a clean out to see if the water is
actually draining through the system? You might have a crushed pipe
that is simply draining into the ground now.

Almost everything in abq is slab on grade. So people have all these
nightmare scenarios typically with the supply, and they don't know it's
happening until it's created an aquifer underneath the house. The good
news is that 4 feet from where the drain starts is probably something I
can get to.

I guess, it seemed odd to me that it would down for a foot without
starting into a P-trap. Also, can anyone speculate as to whether this
shower is original to the house? If so, I would expect it to have been
plumbed properly. They don't have inspection standards down here like
they do in say, Chicago. (I'm also trying to figure out how somebody
thought resi roofs with zero pitch were a good idea.)

There are a couple junipers out front that might have roots that have
tasted of the drain water and wanted more, so that's a possibility. the
junipers would be twenty feet away from the obstruction.

They didn't think about a lot of the usual things that we expect
elsewhere. For example, in order to shut off the water supply, I have
to go outside and do so at the sidewalk. I'll be intent to try to find
any cleanouts today.

Thanks for your comment,
--
Uno

Posted to alt.home.repair
Uno Uno is offline

On 5/23/2011 6:50 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 22, 1:02 am, wrote:
[...]

Thanks, DD, that will be my next attempt.
--
Uno
Posted to alt.home.repair
Uno Uno is offline

On 5/22/2011 6:40 AM, Han wrote:
Red wrote in
:

wrote in
:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Uno wrote in :

On 5/22/2011 6:40 AM, Han wrote:

snip
No problem with the video. Poor guy has a slow drain, and cant auger
his way past a "solid obstruction". Since the water does eventually
drain, it isn't a total obstruction.

My bath also gets very slow to drain. Most likely because there
isn't much pitch between tub and stack. Generally no big clogs
(except the usual hair clog when longhaired people visit for a long
time). Drain gets much better when I use a plumbers helper
vigorously with overflow and vanity sink plugged. This brings up
lots of black gooey stuff that can be flushed through, and then the
drain is fine again for a year or so. Should have redone the drain
pipe when the kitchen ceiling was open. Too many different materials
were used in that drain pipe ...

I got **nothing** with my hand auger, not a single hair, no sludge.
We'll see how I do with a power augur. cheers,

I also didn't "get" anything with an auger. That was my point. Vigorous
(you have to work up a sweat) plunging with a plunger while water (warm
preferred) runs was the solution in my case. My plumber's powered one
didn't do a thing either.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 23, 3:55*pm, Uno wrote:
On 5/22/2011 6:40 AM, Han wrote:

Red *wrote in
:

*wrote in
:

[...]

BTW...you might *get* anything with a power auger either.

You might just push it through and away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 23, 11:10*pm, Uno wrote:
On 5/23/2011 12:44 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On May 23, 3:26 pm, *wrote:
On May 23, 3:55 pm, *wrote:

snip

I got **nothing** with my hand auger, not a single hair, no sludge.
We'll see how I do with a power augur. *cheers,
Be careful with one of those. *They rip up plastic pipe pretty easy
when it's old. *I remember the old neighborhood my mother lived in
down in FL had a lot of drainage troubles. *Guys would come in with
power augers, tear up some poor guys dw system and then hit him up for
a couple grand to replace it.- Hide quoted text -

Good point.

I've used a 3/4" on my cast iron drains a few times and it do get to
banging around a bit!

So I called Lowe's. *They don't rent tools. *Then Home Depot. *Yes they
have a power auger that I can rent for $45.

I go in to look at it, see what they have, and then decided to give the
situation a try with my drill before I go with another idea. *Well that
turns out to be the complete difference. *I'd only been turning it
manually, but when I hooked it to *the drill, it was a different
creature. *It was a unit that I bought from Lowe's for $26.

I make goofy videos about what I do, as I like to be able to show my
clients and others (you, for example) what I'm doing in clients' houses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9af9q2Tz6zs

Sometimes I simply need to talk to others with similar or more
experience in order for me to get the right level of destruction
correct. *Thanks fellas,
--
Uno

Lowe's and Home Depot are the only place you can rent tools from?

No Taylor or United or any other tool rental chain or independent in
your area?

You know, the places contractors rent from.