Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default shower drain obstruction

On May 22, 1:02*am, Uno wrote:
Howdy fellas,

Looking for some DWV tips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COYOl2ZX3FE

I am so ready for this workweek to be finished.

Cheers from the land of enchantment,
--
Uno

Has this drain ever worked? It looks like the shower stall has never
been used. New construction or something that?

In any case...

The first slide in your video says "Slab on grade" so I'm assuming
this drain is under the slab, i.e. not on an upper floor where you
have any access below the drain.

A later slide says: "The other drain is closer to the curb."

My question:

Is the problem drain so far into the house that there no way roots
from a nearby tree could have entered the pipe at the distance you can
reach with the auger?

A decent sized root might feel like a hard obstruction to the auger.

Have you consider renting a power snake with a cutting head to power
your way through the obstruction?

Based on the size of the drain, I'm thinking no larger than a 1/2". I
don't think a 3/4" snake will make the turn through the trap.