Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Eliminating a Window

I have a window in my kitchen that connects to a semi-enclosed
porch....the porch used to be a car port. I can see nothing out the
window except the side of my garage. I now want to put cabinets on
the wall the contains the window, so I'd like to get rid of it. The
exterior wall is brick, so I'd need some way to wall up that opening.
It's on the interior of the semi-enclosed porch, so it doesn't have to
be flawless. I have this image in my head of windows containing some
sort of concrete slabs that contain cast images....have I seen this in
garden brick walls? I'm thinking this sort of thing might be easier
than trying to brick up the opening with bricks that may not match the
existing brickwork. Any hints on what to Google for would be
appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/14/2011 7:57 PM, Greg Esres wrote:
I have a window in my kitchen that connects to a semi-enclosed
porch....the porch used to be a car port. I can see nothing out the
window except the side of my garage. I now want to put cabinets on
the wall the contains the window, so I'd like to get rid of it. The
exterior wall is brick, so I'd need some way to wall up that opening.
It's on the interior of the semi-enclosed porch, so it doesn't have to
be flawless. I have this image in my head of windows containing some
sort of concrete slabs that contain cast images....have I seen this in
garden brick walls? I'm thinking this sort of thing might be easier
than trying to brick up the opening with bricks that may not match the
existing brickwork. Any hints on what to Google for would be
appreciated.

Any enclosed spaces such as a faux window area will become a home for
bugs and such. I'd remove the window completely, then line the rough
opening with pretty 2x stock that you can paint to match the house trim.
I'd put plywood on the inside, then a layer of foam board for
insulation, then another layer of pretty plywood. I'd build some
weatherproof shelves on the porch side.You can even kerf the 2x side
rails for 2x shelves, that can stick out a few inches if you round off
the corners. No matter what you do, it is gonna look like a plugged-up
window, but something useful like shelves will make it look acceptable.

Or, you can find some local artisan to make you a custom-sized wall
hanging out of concrete or whatever, that mounts directly to the 2x side
rails. But make sure there are no little nooks and crannies where
stinging things can set up housekeeping- wasps and bees love spaces like
that. DAMHIKT.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 14, 6:57*pm, Greg Esres wrote:
I have a window in my kitchen that connects to a semi-enclosed
porch....the porch used to be a car port. *I can see nothing out the
window except the side of my garage. *I now want to put cabinets on
the wall the contains the window, so I'd like to get rid of it. *The
exterior wall is brick, so I'd need some way to wall up that opening.
It's on the interior of the semi-enclosed porch, so it doesn't have to
be flawless. *I have this image in my head of windows containing some
sort of concrete slabs that contain cast images....have I seen this in
garden brick walls? *I'm thinking this sort of thing might be easier
than trying to brick up the opening with bricks that may not match the
existing brickwork. *Any hints on what to Google for would be
appreciated.

Many communities have outlets (stores?) specializing in cast concrete
artifacts for garden walls, yards, whatever. Pay them a visit and you
could get lucky and find that they have something in the yard that
would work nicely, or some ideas that previous buyers have requested.
The ones in our area are quite clever and have hundreds of molds for
all manner of concrete art work. The result should look like something
that was planned that way, not a cover up. It won't be necessary to
match any brick, so a stone surround for the opening would be most
acceptable with a cast artifact in the center. No special masonry
skills are need, just a bit of careful work.
Once closed off, dealing with the interior should be easy as suggested
above.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Greg Esres" wrote in message
I have a window in my kitchen that connects to a semi-enclosed
porch....the porch used to be a car port. I can see nothing out the
window except the side of my garage. I now want to put cabinets on
the wall the contains the window, so I'd like to get rid of it. The
exterior wall is brick, so I'd need some way to wall up that opening.
It's on the interior of the semi-enclosed porch, so it doesn't have to
be flawless. I have this image in my head of windows containing some
sort of concrete slabs that contain cast images....have I seen this in
garden brick walls? I'm thinking this sort of thing might be easier
than trying to brick up the opening with bricks that may not match the
existing brickwork. Any hints on what to Google for would be
appreciated.

In the situation you described I would simply take out the window, frame up
the opening, use drywall on the inside and your choice of siding on the
exterior.

I would not try to hide it from the outside. There was once a window there
and now it is no more. Another approach other than the siding is to find
shutters that fill the opening or buy them custom made. Then it looks like
a shuttered window. Architects often do this for balance on the exterior
where no window ever really existed.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 7:57*pm, Greg Esres wrote:
I have a window in my kitchen that connects to a semi-enclosed
porch....the porch used to be a car port. *I can see nothing out the
window except the side of my garage. *I now want to put cabinets on
the wall the contains the window, so I'd like to get rid of it. *The
exterior wall is brick, so I'd need some way to wall up that opening.
It's on the interior of the semi-enclosed porch, so it doesn't have to
be flawless. *I have this image in my head of windows containing some
sort of concrete slabs that contain cast images....have I seen this in
garden brick walls? *I'm thinking this sort of thing might be easier
than trying to brick up the opening with bricks that may not match the
existing brickwork. *Any hints on what to Google for would be
appreciated.

YOU SHOULD BRICK IT OUT WITH WEATHERED BRICKS CLOSE TO THE SHAPE &
TONE OF YOUR EXISTING WALL.....
IF YOU DONT WANT TO GO THROUGH THE EFFORT...TAKE A LIFE-SIZE PICTURE
OF YOUR OUTER BRICK WALL., SEND IT KODAK, THEY WILL SCALE IT TO THE
SIZE YOU WANT, THEN JUST PASTE IT ON LIKE WALLPAPER OVER YOUR
PANELWORK, THEN WEATHERPROOF IT WITH CLEAR WEATHERPROOF PAINT....WHILE
YOURE AT IT WEATHER PROOF THE ADJACENT BRICKS TOO.
THAT GHETTO NEIGHBORHOOD THAT ALLOWED YOU TO BUILD THAT PORCH WONT
MIND AT ALL.
BOOWAHAHAHAHA...

YOU CAN BRICK IT OUT, THEN JUST BLAST THE ENTIRE WALL CLEAN AND NO ONE
WILL NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE...OR IS THE AREA INACCESSIBLE ???

TGITM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 6:57*pm, Greg Esres wrote:
I have a window in my kitchen that connects to a semi-enclosed
porch....the porch used to be a car port. *I can see nothing out the
window except the side of my garage. *I now want to put cabinets on
the wall the contains the window, so I'd like to get rid of it. *The
exterior wall is brick, so I'd need some way to wall up that opening.
It's on the interior of the semi-enclosed porch, so it doesn't have to
be flawless. *I have this image in my head of windows containing some
sort of concrete slabs that contain cast images....have I seen this in
garden brick walls? *I'm thinking this sort of thing might be easier
than trying to brick up the opening with bricks that may not match the
existing brickwork. *Any hints on what to Google for would be
appreciated.

I would finish the inside like the rest of the walls behind the
existing cabinets. I would finish the remaining of the opening neatly
and then fill it with shelves, Or, you could finish the porch side
with glass bricks, but the shelves could be very useful.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Greg Esres wrote:

I have a window in my kitchen that connects to a semi-enclosed
porch....the porch used to be a car port. I can see nothing out the
window except the side of my garage. I now want to put cabinets on
the wall the contains the window, so I'd like to get rid of it. The
exterior wall is brick, so I'd need some way to wall up that opening.
It's on the interior of the semi-enclosed porch, so it doesn't have to
be flawless. I have this image in my head of windows containing some
sort of concrete slabs that contain cast images....have I seen this in
garden brick walls? I'm thinking this sort of thing might be easier
than trying to brick up the opening with bricks that may not match the
existing brickwork. Any hints on what to Google for would be
appreciated.

Tromp l'oiel - inside and out-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trompe-l'%C5%93il

I'd be so tempted to have a window painted with a tasteful peek at a
nekkid woman inside.g

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Greg Esres wrote:
I have a window in my kitchen that connects to a semi-enclosed
porch....the porch used to be a car port. I can see nothing out the
window except the side of my garage. I now want to put cabinets on
the wall the contains the window, so I'd like to get rid of it. The
exterior wall is brick, so I'd need some way to wall up that opening.
It's on the interior of the semi-enclosed porch, so it doesn't have to
be flawless. I have this image in my head of windows containing some
sort of concrete slabs that contain cast images....have I seen this in
garden brick walls? I'm thinking this sort of thing might be easier
than trying to brick up the opening with bricks that may not match the
existing brickwork. Any hints on what to Google for would be
appreciated.

Call up the local building inspector.
I think the window code restrictions mostly relate to escaping a burning
bedroom, but it never hurts to ask.
The time to be surprised by some rule is BEFORE you do it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 7:57*pm, Greg Esres wrote:
I have a window in my kitchen that connects to a semi-enclosed
porch....the porch used to be a car port. *I can see nothing out the
window except the side of my garage. *I now want to put cabinets on
the wall the contains the window, so I'd like to get rid of it. *The
exterior wall is brick, so I'd need some way to wall up that opening.
It's on the interior of the semi-enclosed porch, so it doesn't have to
be flawless. *I have this image in my head of windows containing some
sort of concrete slabs that contain cast images....have I seen this in
garden brick walls? *I'm thinking this sort of thing might be easier
than trying to brick up the opening with bricks that may not match the
existing brickwork. *Any hints on what to Google for would be
appreciated.

LEAVE THE WINDOW...MAKE AN OPENING IN THE GARAGE WALL INSTEAD.
THIS WAY YOU CAN GET FOOD & DRINKS INTO THE GARAGE WHEN THEY ARE
WORKING IN IT, WITHOUT HAVING TO GO AROUND TO THE HOUSE....GOOD FOR
GARAGE PARTIES TOO.
TGITM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 7:57*pm, Greg Esres wrote:
I have a window in my kitchen that connects to a semi-enclosed
porch....the porch used to be a car port. *I can see nothing out the
window except the side of my garage. *I now want to put cabinets on
the wall the contains the window, so I'd like to get rid of it. *The
exterior wall is brick, so I'd need some way to wall up that opening.
It's on the interior of the semi-enclosed porch, so it doesn't have to
be flawless. *I have this image in my head of windows containing some
sort of concrete slabs that contain cast images....have I seen this in
garden brick walls? *I'm thinking this sort of thing might be easier
than trying to brick up the opening with bricks that may not match the
existing brickwork. *Any hints on what to Google for would be
appreciated.

Put one of these in the exterior opening:

http://www.found****.com/pictures/de...ws-hanging.jpg