Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Eliminating free play on the arm

Can anyone help? I am battling to eliminate movement of the arm
relative to the column. (I own a BD powershop ) I have had it for
years and have manual for it and have experience in adjusting the
machine. When eliminating free play the column to the pots part is
sorted, The arm to the column is where I am having a problem. There
are two pinch screws at the back of the arm with lock nuts that
gradually gets tightened until there is resistance on the movement of
the arm. Up to the point where these screws are so tight that the arm
can no longer be swung from left to right, the movement on the arm
still results in about 8mm of movement of the blade from left to right
when pushing on the arm in the locked position. Only once the screws
are so tight that the arm cannot be moved when in the unlocked
position, is the play eliminated. I would really appreciate help.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 25, 11:23*am, frankie wrote:
Can anyone help? I am battling to eliminate movement of the arm
relative to the column. (I own a BD powershop ) I have had it for
years and have manual for it and have experience in adjusting the
machine. When eliminating free play the column to the pots part is
sorted, The arm to the column is where I am having a problem. There
are two pinch screws at the back of the arm with lock nuts that
gradually gets tightened until there is resistance on the movement of
the arm. Up to the point where these screws are so tight that the arm
can no longer be swung from left to right, the movement on the arm
still results in about 8mm of movement of the blade from left to right
when pushing on the arm in the locked position. Only once the screws
are so tight that the arm cannot be moved when in the unlocked
position, is the play eliminated. I would really appreciate help.

I did not mention that this is a Radial arm Saw, just in case it was
not obvious
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

frankie wrote:
[...]

Link to schematic would help; don't know the particular saw by that
name, anyway.

I've had a small (10") B&D RAS, how similar specifics I've no idea w/o
seeing what you've got, but the key is in adjusting the column arm
brake/lock tension, not the column. If you pull hard enough, you can
make it move no matter how tightly adjusted but it can be locked down
sufficiently for accurate use ime.

But, it isn't and never will be the equivalent of a heavier/sturdier
design like the pricier Delta or OSC.