Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Condensate pump pan?

Does anyone know if there is a pan made to fit under a typical HVAC
condensate pump?
I have a condensate pump in the basement for the furnace and AC that
pumps the
water outside. I'd like to put a pan that's maybe 16 x 8 or so under
the pump. I'd
then have the secondary drain (overflow) from the AC coil and the
furnace going into
the pan as well. The pan should have a fitting so I can hook up a
hose and go from
there to the french drain. That way if the pump fails or the primary
lines clog, the
water would go to the french drain instead of the basement floor.
I'd also put one
of the small battery water alarms in the pan.

I can find big ones made to go under entire furnaces for attics, etc,
but nothing
small enough for just the condensate pump itself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Why not just put a float switch on the condensate tank, to shut down the
system if it's full?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 3:30*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

Go to your local hardware store and look around. There are all sorts
of dish washing containers, and zillions of other things packed in
plastic that can be used for your 8 x 16" pan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*You can have a sheet metal shop make one to your specifications.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/2011 4:48 PM, RBM wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Actually, many condensate pump units have a normally closed contact
which opens if the pump fails to empty the tank. This is then wired
in series with the hot wire going to the thermostat. Everything
shuts down if the pump doesn't pump. My condensate pump has shut
down the furnace 2 times because the hose, going outside, froze. I
now have it going where it can't freeze.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
On 5/9/2011 4:48 PM, RBM wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

If you happen to be away e.g. on vacation---what's your choice, a shut down
of the furnace or condensate on the floor? When my pump was wired I made
sure that a malfunction would not shut down the furnace. I'm gone for a
month in the winter and a furnace shutdown could be disastrous.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/2011 4:48 PM, RBM wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

You connect the float switch to interrupt the air-conditioning system only

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/2011 5:38 PM, RBM wrote:
wrote in message ...

"Art wrote in message
On 5/9/2011 4:48 PM, RBM wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

That's not the case with high efficiency condensing furnaces. A lot of
water comes out of the furnace during operation because so much heat is
extracted from the burning of the fuel. I prefer a good floor drain if
I can get it for an AC or high efficiency furnace. It's easy to address
the possibility of a frozen drain for a furnace with electric heat tape
on the vulnerable section of drain pipe. I've had to use it on lines
going to an outdoor wall mounted NG fired instant water heater.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/2011 5:25 PM, hr(bob) wrote:
On May 9, 3:30 pm,
wrote:
[...]

Sam's club has the gray plastic bus-boy boxes that would be perfect for
this. I think a 2-pack is about 12 bucks. I keep 2 in the back of my van
to hold grocery bags, and the local airport uses them (and the non-skid
dogfood bowls) for the x-ray machines. Nothing like adaptive
repurposing. The gray plastic is also easy machinable, if you want to
add a drain line.

Dumb question- if you have a french drain (and presumably a sump pit it
leads to), why are you using a pump? Back in the stone age, we put the
sump pit 6 feet from the furnace and WH, and just ran the drain pipes
across the floor.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 7:34*pm, aemeijers wrote:
On 5/9/2011 5:25 PM, hr(bob) wrote:

On May 9, 3:30 pm,
wrote:
[...]

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, if the sump pit was near the furnace, that would be my first
choice, but
it's far across the basement. And there is no sump pump because my
basement has been dry. From what I understand, the code guys are
OK with it being routed to a sump pit, but not into a french drain
with
no sump pump. Plus, I'm not sure about running that water into the
french drain for two reasons:

1 - While most of it's going into the ground, it probably adds some to
the basement moisture.

2 - The condensate from the furnace is acidic and I wonder if it could
damage footings, etc over time.

I found an old aluminum cake pan that is the right size. I just have
figure out how to attach a barbed fitting for a hose. Probably just
epoxy it in? It's not super critical that it be 100% leak proof. As
far
as code goes, I could just end the secondary overflow drain right
on the basement floor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 6:44*pm, "
wrote:
On May 9, 7:34*pm, aemeijers wrote:

On 5/9/2011 5:25 PM, hr(bob) wrote:

On May 9, 3:30 pm,
wrote:
[...]

on the basement floor.- Hide quoted text -

not epoxy - too rigid. High quality silicone rubber
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 5:32*pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
[...]

+1 to this idea, having one made to exactly what you want is
probbaly the best solution here as it won't look gerry-rigged...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 3:30*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

I would think make one from plastic ware, on another issue what if a
water pipe or the hose to the washer broke, how would the water get
out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 8:54*am, ransley wrote:
On May 9, 3:30*pm, "
wrote:

[...]

out.- Hide quoted text -

In my case, the water would go from the overflow pan under the
furnace condesate pump to the french drain. In the case of a washer
pan
you obviously either have to have one that has a drain that you
could route somewhere, or else it's usefullness is limited to
catching only what the pan can hold. That combined with a
battery powered water alarm could still give some reasonable
amount of protection, but not enough for burst hose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
" wrote:

[...]

usplastics.com had a good selection of plastic and fiberglass shallow
trays. A lot of their stuff is thick-walled enough that you could drill
and tap for a drain fitting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 12:55*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
[...]

and tap for a drain fitting.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the link. They do have a good variety of plastic pans.
Right now I found an old aluminum bake pan that I think will work.
It's the perfect size. I just have to drill a hole and fit in a
barbed
hose fitting using some silicone sealer and it should work fine.