Joe Shlabotnick

Default condensate pump lifespan?

When we first got central A/C installed in our home back in 1988, a
condensate pump was installed to get rid of the water. It has to pump a fair
distance (about 30+ feet) to a drain.

Since then the home has grown, and now the same ol' pump services two
high-efficiency furnaces and their A/C coils. When both furnaces are on, the
pump gets pretty busy.

Given this pump's vintage, should I think about replacing it? It if were to
fail, I would have a rec room full of water.

pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 23:50:33 -0400, "Joe Shlabotnick"
wrote:

When we first got central A/C installed in our home back in 1988, a
condensate pump was installed to get rid of the water. It has to pump a fair
distance (about 30+ feet) to a drain.

Do not cross -post to alt.hvac

HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free Temperature / Pressure charts for 38 Ref's http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/
TURTLE

"Joe Shlabotnick" wrote in message
When we first got central A/C installed in our home back in 1988, a condensate
pump was installed to get rid of the water. It has to pump a fair distance
(about 30+ feet) to a drain.

Since then the home has grown, and now the same ol' pump services two
high-efficiency furnaces and their A/C coils. When both furnaces are on, the
pump gets pretty busy.

Given this pump's vintage, should I think about replacing it? It if were to
fail, I would have a rec room full of water.

This is Turtle.

1) First if your pump is wired up right like it is suppose to be wired up. It
will turn off both air cond. systems before the pump basin runs over.

2) It is never too soon after about 10 or 15 years to replace them but most
will go 20 years +.

3) I think I would install each hvac system with a pump for each. Then if the
pump for that unit stops, it will only shut down that unit till it can be
repaired or replaced.

4) Every pump has a shut down float switch on it to be wired into the cooling
systen 24 volt system and if the pump fails to pump the water out. the system
will go down and not flood anything.

TURTLE