Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Condensate pump -- please help!

Hi all,

I purchased a condensate pump from Amazon to use with the dehumidifier
in my basement. When I looked at the product description at the
Amazon web site everything looked simple -- the dehumidifier needs to
be elevaited and drained into the condensate pump. When the water in
the pump reaches a sertain level, the pump starts working, pumping out
the water through the flexibal tube, and out of the house. It stops
when water reaches another level. So it looks like the dehumidifier
should never stop, except when reaching the given humidity level.

When the pump was delivered I was surprised to see two loose wires on
it. I had no choice other than RTFM. The manual is just one small
piece of paper. It has one paragraph related to electric connections,
and it says something like Ithe wires need to be attached to the
furnice safety circle (or similar -- I don't have the manual with me
right now).

Obviously, I don't have anything on my dehumidifier to attach these
wires to.

Should I just isolate them from each other? Connect them? Or
anything else?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Arkadiy

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Arkadiy" wrote in message

When the pump was delivered I was surprised to see two loose wires on
it. I had no choice other than RTFM. The manual is just one small
piece of paper. It has one paragraph related to electric connections,
and it says something like Ithe wires need to be attached to the
furnice safety circle (or similar -- I don't have the manual with me
right now).

Obviously, I don't have anything on my dehumidifier to attach these
wires to.

Should I just isolate them from each other? Connect them? Or
anything else?

Are the wires for power? If not, you can probably just tape them. My guess
is the pump is designed to be used with a high efficiency furnace and that
would give some control over the pump if the furnace is not running. .

Posted to alt.home.repair

Arkadiy wrote:

[...]

Tape 'em up. They are used for an overflow alarm
or to shut down a furnace/AC unit.

If failure of the pump may cause damage from flooding,
you could use those contacts to sound an alarm or
to shut off the dehumid (via low-voltage relay).

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Speedy Jim wrote:

Tape 'em up. They are used for an overflow alarm
or to shut down a furnace/AC unit.

If failure of the pump may cause damage from flooding,
you could use those contacts to sound an alarm or
to shut off the dehumid (via low-voltage relay).

Does this mean there is a small voltage on them in the event of pump
failure? Should I tape them up separately?

Thanks,
Arkadiy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Arkadiy wrote:

Speedy Jim wrote:

Tape 'em up. They are used for an overflow alarm
or to shut down a furnace/AC unit.

If failure of the pump may cause damage from flooding,
you could use those contacts to sound an alarm or
to shut off the dehumid (via low-voltage relay).

Does this mean there is a small voltage on them in the event of pump
failure? Should I tape them up separately?

Thanks,
Arkadiy

No voltage; they connect to a switch operated
by the float arm. Tape separately as a matter of practice.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Arkadiy wrote:
[...]

The wires do nothing in your application. Tape them up if it makes you
feel better or looks neater but there is no power on them and they are
perfectly safe.

In a furnace/AC application the wires are connected in series with the
low-voltage wiring which allows the furnace/AC compressor to run. The
wires are connected to a second float switch in the chamber and if the
water reaches a point higher than normal suggesting that the pump is not
working or the outlet is plugged the switch opens and shuts down the
system preventing flooding.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's just a float switch. Isolate, or twist together. Makes no
difference.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.