Posted to alt.home.repair

Default basement dehumidifier, condensate pump

well summer is coming and that means are three/fourths finished
basement is going to suffer from humidity. i plan on getting a
dehumdifier (50pt model should be enough i hope, 1300sq ft, 7ft
ceiling) but don't want to empty the bucket constantly.

what condensate pumps are recommended that are quiet and reliable?
also, is there any particular place a dehumidifier should be kept (i.e.
closer to the window, center of the dehumidification area, near the
dryer...)?

the back of the basement is unfinished, there is a washer/dryer and a
sink. i was hoping to run the hose to the sink but it's about 40ft from
the center of the finished area (if that's the best sopt for the
dehumidifier).

i was looking at little giant pumps but i can't tell the difference
from model to model. hartell maybe?

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Dehumidifiers have drains just hook up a hose and raise it up so it
drains the 40 ft, it doesnt need to be in the center of the basement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

i considered that but i thought it might be messy to look at unless it
was in the back near the unfinished area. i was worried if i put the
dehumidifier in the back area, the finished area wouldn't be as well
dehumidified.

m Ransley wrote:
Dehumidifiers have drains just hook up a hose and raise it up so it
drains the 40 ft, it doesnt need to be in the center of the basement.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

A pump wouldn't need to move much water very fast in that application.
Almost any low volume pump would work. I would wire it in series with a
float switch (and possibly a control relay depending on supply voltage and
rating of the float switch I get).

Lowest cost would be something like a fountain recirculation pump or one
used in a diamond wet saw. They operate like a sump so they need somewhat
deep pool to sit in.

A pump capable of draining the tank dry would cost a bit more but would be
compact and neater as it can be connected anywhere along the drain tube.

wrote in message
oups.com...
well summer is coming and that means are three/fourths finished
basement is going to suffer from humidity. i plan on getting a
dehumdifier (50pt model should be enough i hope, 1300sq ft, 7ft
ceiling) but don't want to empty the bucket constantly.

what condensate pumps are recommended that are quiet and reliable?
also, is there any particular place a dehumidifier should be kept (i.e.
closer to the window, center of the dehumidification area, near the
dryer...)?

the back of the basement is unfinished, there is a washer/dryer and a
sink. i was hoping to run the hose to the sink but it's about 40ft from
the center of the finished area (if that's the best sopt for the
dehumidifier).

i was looking at little giant pumps but i can't tell the difference
from model to model. hartell maybe?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

I've heard that dehum should be about three feet from the floor. Not
sure where I heard that.

The Little Giant condensate pumps I've seen should handle that load,
easily.

Do you have central AC? Makes me wonder if you can include the cellar
air into the air flow, and use t he evaporator from the AC system as
your dehumidifier.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

You can buy a condensate pump with a built in sump and float used for
furnces and central ac at home depot or Lowes for around $50.

wrote in message
oups.com...
well summer is coming and that means are three/fourths finished
basement is going to suffer from humidity. i plan on getting a
dehumdifier (50pt model should be enough i hope, 1300sq ft, 7ft
ceiling) but don't want to empty the bucket constantly.

what condensate pumps are recommended that are quiet and reliable?
also, is there any particular place a dehumidifier should be kept (i.e.
closer to the window, center of the dehumidification area, near the
dryer...)?

the back of the basement is unfinished, there is a washer/dryer and a
sink. i was hoping to run the hose to the sink but it's about 40ft from
the center of the finished area (if that's the best sopt for the
dehumidifier).

i was looking at little giant pumps but i can't tell the difference
from model to model. hartell maybe?

Posted to alt.home.repair

how about this one as an example?:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

That is a perfect example but why pay postage if home depot or lowes has it.
Also they normally come with vinyl tube which is not mentioned in the
auction.

wrote in message
ps.com...
how about this one as an example?:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Posted to alt.home.repair

Question, would a 40 pt dehumidifier be enough for a basement (~1,300
sq ft)?
I've been reading about the soleus cfm 40, supposed to be quiet and
only 330W.

Either that one or the far more expensive comfort aire 50 pt model
(630W).
Ceilings are only 7-8ft.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Actually, the Soleus CFM 40 E (newer model?) is a bit more expensive
than the Comfort Aire BHD-501A. Anyone have experience with either?
Does 40pt mean it can only remove 40pts/day? If I have a hose runoff,
can it continue to remove water or would it just stop after every 40pts?

Posted to alt.home.repair
PDQ

"David Combs" wrote in message ...
| Don't forget to check Sears.
|
| Last year (summer) they had two kinds ("sears"),
| one bigger than the other.
|
| I got the bigger one, and have been happy with it.
|
| For lhow *I* use it, I have it on the floor,
| with a fan a foot in front of it blowing the air out into the reat of the
| (narrow) room.
|
| ---
|
| Since we use it only when we need it, eg three or four
| days of constant rain (like we had last summer), I simply
| empty the bucket each 8 hours or so.
|

| David

Did much the same.

I had one on my furnace to pump condensate out -- it kept overflowing and blowing itself out.

Bought a dehumidifier and ported it to the floor drain (all basements are supposed to have one) and set it to maintain about 40 percent humidity. That was 20 years ago and I have only had to replace the dehumidifier once since then (cheaper than getting the old one fixed). My tools have not shown any sign of rust since.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Set the dehumidifier above the sink and let gravity do the work.
The air will move the moisture about, if not a small fan is a better
investment than a pump.