Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Condensate pump pan?

On 5/9/2011 5:25 PM, hr(bob) wrote:
On May 9, 3:30 pm,
wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a pan made to fit under a typical HVAC
condensate pump?
I have a condensate pump in the basement for the furnace and AC that
pumps the
water outside. I'd like to put a pan that's maybe 16 x 8 or so under
the pump. I'd
then have the secondary drain (overflow) from the AC coil and the
furnace going into
the pan as well. The pan should have a fitting so I can hook up a
hose and go from
there to the french drain. That way if the pump fails or the primary
lines clog, the
water would go to the french drain instead of the basement floor.
I'd also put one
of the small battery water alarms in the pan.

I can find big ones made to go under entire furnaces for attics, etc,
but nothing
small enough for just the condensate pump itself.

Go to your local hardware store and look around. There are all sorts
of dish washing containers, and zillions of other things packed in
plastic that can be used for your 8 x 16" pan.

Sam's club has the gray plastic bus-boy boxes that would be perfect for
this. I think a 2-pack is about 12 bucks. I keep 2 in the back of my van
to hold grocery bags, and the local airport uses them (and the non-skid
dogfood bowls) for the x-ray machines. Nothing like adaptive
repurposing. The gray plastic is also easy machinable, if you want to
add a drain line.

Dumb question- if you have a french drain (and presumably a sump pit it
leads to), why are you using a pump? Back in the stone age, we put the
sump pit 6 feet from the furnace and WH, and just ran the drain pipes
across the floor.

--
aem sends...