Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wood preservative for in-ground & near in-ground use

The local borg used to sell a jug of green copper-based fence post
preservative that smelled nasty but seemed to do a good job of
preventing rot on fence posts.

I went to HD tonight and in my area (Mass), they no longer seem to carry
*any* fence post preservative -- they only had various clear deck
sealants. I imagine this is due to various environmental phobias.

So, what do people recommend now to get the maximum protection for (non
pressure-treated) wood that is in ground contact?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
blueman wrote:

So, what do people recommend now to get the maximum protection for (non
pressure-treated) wood that is in ground contact?

Redwood.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

blueman wrote in :

The local borg used to sell a jug of green copper-based fence post
preservative that smelled nasty but seemed to do a good job of
preventing rot on fence posts.

I went to HD tonight and in my area (Mass), they no longer seem to carry
*any* fence post preservative -- they only had various clear deck
sealants. I imagine this is due to various environmental phobias.

So, what do people recommend now to get the maximum protection for (non
pressure-treated) wood that is in ground contact?

Thanks

Teak, redwood, cedar ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two writes:

In article ,
blueman wrote:

So, what do people recommend now to get the maximum protection for (non
pressure-treated) wood that is in ground contact?

Redwood.

Thanks. Yes but I can't choose the wood -- I am just looking for the
preservative.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Han writes:

blueman wrote in :

The local borg used to sell a jug of green copper-based fence post
preservative that smelled nasty but seemed to do a good job of
preventing rot on fence posts.

I went to HD tonight and in my area (Mass), they no longer seem to carry
*any* fence post preservative -- they only had various clear deck
sealants. I imagine this is due to various environmental phobias.

So, what do people recommend now to get the maximum protection for (non
pressure-treated) wood that is in ground contact?

Thanks

Teak, redwood, cedar ...

Thanks - yes - but I can't choose the species -- I am looking for a preservative...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 8:36*am, blueman wrote:
Han writes:
blueman wrote :

The local borg used to sell a jug of green copper-based fence post
preservative that smelled nasty but seemed to do a good job of
preventing rot on fence posts.

I went to HD tonight and in my area (Mass), they no longer seem to carry
*any* fence post preservative -- they only had various clear deck
sealants. I imagine this is due to various environmental phobias.

So, what do people recommend now to get the maximum protection for (non
pressure-treated) wood that is in ground contact?

Thanks

Teak, redwood, cedar ...

Thanks - yes - but I can't choose the species -- I am looking for a preservative...- Hide quoted text -

Home Depot apparently sells it in some parts of the country, but not
online:

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/copper-...ive-97843.html

For products like that I've searched online and eventually found
someone selling
it somewhere that would ship it to me. That might not be legal, but
some
places either don't know the law or don't care. It probably means
that it's
been banned in certain parts of the country. If you can find it,
you probably want to get
enough to last you for a long time, because usually the next phase is
it's gone
all together.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 9:25*am, "
wrote:
On May 8, 8:36*am, blueman wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/copper-...-preservative-...

For products like that I've searched online and eventually found
someone selling
it somewhere that would ship it to me. *That might not be legal, but
some
places either don't know the law or don't care. *It probably means
that it's
*been banned in certain parts of the country. * If you can find it,
you probably want to get
enough to last you for a long time, because usually the next phase is
it's gone
all together.- Hide quoted text -

concrete or steel fence posts, wood just rots sooner or later, and
attracks nasties like termites
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 10:35*pm, blueman wrote:
The local borg used to sell a jug of green copper-based fence post
preservative that smelled nasty but seemed to do a good job of
preventing rot on fence posts.

I went to HD tonight and in my area (Mass), they no longer seem to carry
*any* fence post preservative -- they only had various clear deck
sealants. I imagine this is due to various environmental phobias.

So, what do people recommend now to get the maximum protection for (non
pressure-treated) wood that is in ground contact?

Thanks

Check with stores most likely to carry it, farm supply store, Grange,
fertilyzer plants, garden centers, etc. Let your fingers do the
walking.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 4:22*am, Han wrote:
blueman wrote :

The local borg used to sell a jug of green copper-based fence post
preservative that smelled nasty but seemed to do a good job of
preventing rot on fence posts.

I went to HD tonight and in my area (Mass), they no longer seem to carry
*any* fence post preservative -- they only had various clear deck
sealants. I imagine this is due to various environmental phobias.

So, what do people recommend now to get the maximum protection for (non
pressure-treated) wood that is in ground contact?

Thanks

Teak, redwood, cedar ...

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

Teak, possible. Redwood and cedar will rot, just takes a bit longer.
The only wood I know of that doesn't rot at any appreciable rate is
Black Locust. Posts made of that are still firm 30 years later. The
"treated" 4x4s you get at the lumber store are good for maybe 10 years
max.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"dadiOH" wrote in news:4dc6b67f$0$16411$882e7ee2
@usenet-news.net:

Cuprinol No. 10 Green Wood Preservative

One source...
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...uct.do?pid=170

"This item is no longer available." stated on the website your link refers
to.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

"blueman" wrote in message
The local borg used to sell a jug of green copper-based fence post
preservative that smelled nasty but seemed to do a good job of
preventing rot on fence posts.

I went to HD tonight and in my area (Mass), they no longer seem to carry
*any* fence post preservative -- they only had various clear deck
sealants. I imagine this is due to various environmental phobias.

So, what do people recommend now to get the maximum protection for (non
pressure-treated) wood that is in ground contact?

Thanks

Check with your electric utility company. Ask what they put on base of wood
power poles. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 4:46*pm, "WW" wrote:
"blueman" wrote in message

The local borg used to sell a jug of green copper-based fence post
preservative that smelled nasty but seemed to do a good job of
preventing rot on fence posts.

I went to HD tonight and in my area (Mass), they no longer seem to carry
*any* fence post preservative -- they only had various clear deck
sealants. I imagine this is due to various environmental phobias.

So, what do people recommend now to get the maximum protection for (non
pressure-treated) wood that is in ground contact?

Thanks

Check with your electric utility company. Ask what they put on base of wood
power poles. *WW

They have plastic pole covers that slip over steel pipe concreted in
ground.

outwardly it cal look like wood but it should l;ast a lifetime
Posted to alt.home.repair

blueman writes:

The local borg used to sell a jug of green copper-based fence post
preservative that smelled nasty but seemed to do a good job of
preventing rot on fence posts.

I went to HD tonight and in my area (Mass), they no longer seem to carry
*any* fence post preservative -- they only had various clear deck
sealants. I imagine this is due to various environmental phobias.

So, what do people recommend now to get the maximum protection for (non
pressure-treated) wood that is in ground contact?

Thanks

I ended up finding the following at a local lumber yard:
Zinsser Woodlife CopperCoat Wood Preservative.
It seems to smell and look like the old stuff I remember.
I paid about $18 for a gallon.

Hopefully, it works..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 May 2011 01:35:47 -0400, blueman wrote:
So, what do people recommend now to get the maximum protection for (non
pressure-treated) wood that is in ground contact?

waste sump oil, blended with something to dilute it so that it penetrates
the wood a little better (gas, diesel, kerosene etc.).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 1:35*am, blueman wrote:
The local borg used to sell a jug of green copper-based fence post
preservative that smelled nasty but seemed to do a good job of
preventing rot on fence posts.

I went to HD tonight and in my area (Mass), they no longer seem to carry
*any* fence post preservative -- they only had various clear deck
sealants. I imagine this is due to various environmental phobias.

So, what do people recommend now to get the maximum protection for (non
pressure-treated) wood that is in ground contact?

Thanks

Replace your wooden fence posts with posts which have been treated
with glass called TimberSIL... Wood can't rot when it is coated with
glass down to a molecular level...

http://www.timbersilwood.com/

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 1:35*am, blueman wrote:
The local borg used to sell a jug of green copper-based fence post
preservative that smelled nasty but seemed to do a good job of
preventing rot on fence posts.

I went to HD tonight and in my area (Mass), they no longer seem to carry
*any* fence post preservative -- they only had various clear deck
sealants. I imagine this is due to various environmental phobias.

So, what do people recommend now to get the maximum protection for (non
pressure-treated) wood that is in ground contact?

Thanks

WHAT ABOUT THAT TAR THEY USED ON OLD SHIPS?
IT WASNT JUST FOR BUOYANCY....
I AM ASSUMING YOU JUST WANT TO PRESERVE YOUR EXISTING FENCE.

THEN AGAIN: MY RECOMMENDATION IS TO REMOVE THE WOOD IN TIME AND USE A
BETTER WATER RESISTANT POST AS A REPLACEMENT...IN THE LONG RUN..IT IS
MORE DESIRABLE IN THIS CASE....WHY KEEP USING WOOD THE "CAN" ROT WHEN
PLASTIC LONG LASTING POST ARE AVAILABLE?
TGITM
PATECUM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 11, 10:30*am, The Ghost in The Machine
wrote:
On May 8, 1:35*am, blueman wrote:

[...]

Probably creosote its very toxic and illegal. it did preserve railroad
ties well.

railroads now use concrete ties with the metal tie bars molded in
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Evan, eskiejake wrote:
evan.news.reply wrote:

Replace your wooden fence posts with posts which have been treated
with glass called TimberSIL... Wood can't rot when it is coated with
glass down to a molecular level...
http://www.timbersilwood.com/
~~ Evan

I realize this is now 2014 but it appears your link is yet another failed
eco-friendly solution introduced with minimal or
no testing. Of course it becomes all the rage according to the rich
and famous, such as Brad Pitt. Not so much for
mainstream Americans who have to consider cost.