Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Wood preservative for in-ground & near in-ground use

On May 11, 10:30*am, The Ghost in The Machine
wrote:
On May 8, 1:35*am, blueman wrote:

The local borg used to sell a jug of green copper-based fence post
preservative that smelled nasty but seemed to do a good job of
preventing rot on fence posts.

I went to HD tonight and in my area (Mass), they no longer seem to carry
*any* fence post preservative -- they only had various clear deck
sealants. I imagine this is due to various environmental phobias.

So, what do people recommend now to get the maximum protection for (non
pressure-treated) wood that is in ground contact?

Thanks

WHAT ABOUT THAT TAR THEY USED ON OLD SHIPS?
IT WASNT JUST FOR BUOYANCY....
I AM ASSUMING YOU JUST WANT TO PRESERVE YOUR EXISTING FENCE.

THEN AGAIN: MY RECOMMENDATION IS TO REMOVE THE WOOD IN TIME AND USE A
BETTER WATER RESISTANT POST AS A REPLACEMENT...IN THE LONG RUN..IT IS
MORE DESIRABLE IN THIS CASE....WHY KEEP USING WOOD THE "CAN" ROT WHEN
PLASTIC LONG LASTING POST ARE AVAILABLE?
TGITM
PATECUM

Probably creosote its very toxic and illegal. it did preserve railroad
ties well.

railroads now use concrete ties with the metal tie bars molded in