Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gutters: spikes vs. hangers and screws

Greetings everyone,

I am hoping to get a second opinion from gurus out there. I just
replaced my gutters. My old gutters were held in by 'spikes'. That's
what the contractor called them. Just to clarify these spikes are
basically big long steel nails that pass through a collar. My new
gutters were installed with these 'hangers' and screws. He told me
that spikes were the old way of doing things and that the hangers were
better. Is this true?
My concern is snow. Despite the problems of my old gutters those
spikes held up well against the weight of snow. Those 'bigger' spikes
make me feel better than these little screws, which look like 3
inches. He told me the hangers will hold. This is what I like to
ask. Will the hangers and those smaller screws do as good as a job
holding up against the weight of snow as the spikes?
Thank you
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 18:29:53 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Greetings everyone,

I am hoping to get a second opinion from gurus out there. I just
replaced my gutters. My old gutters were held in by 'spikes'. That's
what the contractor called them. Just to clarify these spikes are
basically big long steel nails that pass through a collar. My new
gutters were installed with these 'hangers' and screws. He told me
that spikes were the old way of doing things and that the hangers were
better. Is this true?
My concern is snow. Despite the problems of my old gutters those
spikes held up well against the weight of snow. Those 'bigger' spikes
make me feel better than these little screws, which look like 3
inches. He told me the hangers will hold. This is what I like to
ask. Will the hangers and those smaller screws do as good as a job
holding up against the weight of snow as the spikes?

The hangers are fine. They make the gutters easier to clean, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If they're the hidden hangers, they're still a pain to clean. Actually,
they're wider than the spike & ferrule.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Hidden hangers are great, they won't come loose. Providing just like spike
& ferrule, they go into a rafter tail, and not just the fascia.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 8:29*pm, " wrote:
[...]

Old spikes were steel?? I thought everyone has used aluminum for
years.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Greetings everyone,

I am hoping to get a second opinion from gurus out there. I just
replaced my gutters. My old gutters were held in by 'spikes'. That's
what the contractor called them.

That's what I call them too. That's what my friend Spike calls them.

Just to clarify these spikes are
basically big long steel nails that pass through a collar. My new
gutters were installed with these 'hangers' and screws. He told me
that spikes were the old way of doing things and that the hangers were
better. Is this true?
My concern is snow. Despite the problems of my old gutters those
spikes held up well against the weight of snow. Those 'bigger' spikes
make me feel better than these little screws, which look like 3
inches.

Don't the screws point down, into the plywood roof? So that the snow
weight is perpendicular to the line of the screw? Maybe I'm confused
about this.

He told me the hangers will hold. This is what I like to
ask. Will the hangers and those smaller screws do as good as a job
holding up against the weight of snow as the spikes?
Thank you

On the south side of my house, my spikes lasted 20+ years but then I
had to replace them with gutter screws, just a little bigger than the
spikes, because of the screw threads. Go into the same holes.

BTW, you're probably okay here plus you learned something, I hope. It
should have been clear in the bid and in the contract what kind of
method would be used to hang the gutters. I know, you assumed it
would be the same as was there before. I would too. But it's not the
right way to behave. You should know in advance exactly what you're
getting, so you could have asked about this in advance.

Once I needed a new muffler and the gas station called me at work to
talk about it. He said a muffler would cost so much and a pipe so
much, and maybe other stuff, but he never said resonator -- I forgot
or assumed he woudl use the old resonator (even though no one ever
uses old exhaust parts) and when I got there, I had no resonator. He
said it might be in the trash, but it wasn't. He said I don't need
no resonator, but I disagree. He's going to want money for the part
and a different pipe, and more money for labor to do it now, plus I'll
have an extra pipe I have no use for. So I figured I would grin and
bear it until the next car. I learned the lesson then that you
should learn now. Not that I've applied the lesson yet. Mostly I
avoid buying things.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 10:13*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

[...]

Maybe they were aluminum. I have no idea what the spikes were made
of. I just thought it was steel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Depends on the brackets they use. Around here, gutters go up after
shingles, so nobody is real keen on prying up the bottom course of
shingles to nail things. Brackets screw to fascia board. Lifespan and
grip of screws versus spikes has many variables- species and condition
of wood used for rafters and fascia board, weather anomalies,
diameter/length/surface of screws or spikes, proper installation, etc.
I've seen old spiked gutters last 50 years before they let go, and
installs on old houses into mushy wood that fell down in a year.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 8:29*pm, " wrote:
[...]

I replaced my gutters with screw brackets and they are holding up
better than the gutters. We get our gutters filled with ice every
year and they stay up. Just make sure that they are set in the
rafters. Also I got the heavier brackets that screw in from the
inside and uses heavy aluminum for the body. The screws are angled
downwards so the weight theoretically pushes down when the gutters are
in use.

phil
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 7:09*am, "
wrote:
On Apr 28, 8:29*pm, " wrote:

[...]

phil- Hide quoted text -

I've had trouble with the spike type pulling out on two sections.
I've driven them back in, but after a couple months, they work
out again. Even tried putting some glue on the end first, didn't
help. So, I'd be going with the screw type if I had a choice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've never seen that style. I certainly wouldn't use anything that penetrated
the decking. The one's I've used screw into the fascia. I used a 2x6 fascia,
so there was *plenty* of wood to anchor the things. The flimsy gutter will be
long gone before the screws pull out.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 21:55:08 -0400, "Tony" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

the hangers I've used leave the gutters free of obstructions (they wrap around
the bottom and inside). The spike and ferrule get in the way when cleaning
leaves out of the gutter.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 10:47:41 -0400, Peter wrote:

On 4/28/2011 9:29 PM, wrote:
[...]

My old gutters were attached with screws. When they needed to be
removed to stop water leakage from an ice dam last winter, it was a
hellacious job to get access to the screws without destroying the fascia
board because the gutters were solidly filled and encased with ice.
With spikes, a little crowbar action would have done the job in a few
minutes. I never have had a spiked gutter come loose due to heavy snow.

This whole thread is confusing because I can't tell anymore, about the
two kinds of screws, who all is talking about which kind. Guttter
spikes, the big nail, are the ones the OP had. Then he got gutters
with hangers and screws.

Since he calls these screws little, I presume they are smaller than
the spikes. But there are also gutter screws, the same size as
spikes, bigger if you count the thread, that go in the same spot the
spikes go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/28/2011 9:29 PM, wrote:
[...]

The screws were smaller. 3inches or so. The spikes were thicker and
longer, I say 6 to 7 inches long. Hope that helps.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 4/28/2011 9:29 PM, wrote:
[...]

Yes it does. I expect my gutters will start sagging in a few years,
if not tomorrow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 28, 2011 9:29:53 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

The old spike & ferrule style is nowhere near as effective an a "screwed in" hangar. The "spike" is basically a giant nail that is far inferior to the system that it sound like your contractor recommended. You were advised properly. Best of luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to utsuxs, Thoughts wrote:
If anyone has any spike and ferrule (collar) old parts, please contact me at
We need a few ferrules (collars) to reproduce parts.
Thanks 2/16/2017

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ws-632199-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 12:44:06 AM UTC-6, Thoughts wrote:

replying to utsuxs, Thoughts wrote:
If anyone has any spike and ferrule (collar) old parts, please contact me at
We need a few ferrules (collars) to reproduce parts.
Thanks 2/16/2017

for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ws-632199-.htm

Six year old post you are replying to dearie.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to utsuxs, Willard F Ottosen wrote:
Hidden hangers attach to the front lip of the gutter. The weight of snow
always drips the gutter away from front lip. I've been in gutter business for
30 years and have seen it over and over. They make an aluminum very aggressive
ring shank spike that holds well in the snow with metal roofs. Most gutter
people only use the hidden hangers because it is easier

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ws-632199-.htm

Voltage spikes MM UK diy 59 March 14th 11 01:13 PM
Anti-Perching spikes. Donwill[_3_] UK diy 8 October 19th 09 01:22 PM
Welding on rail road spikes redalpha Metalworking 11 January 2nd 09 07:05 PM
Gas fire thermostat locking up, spikes? R D S UK diy 5 December 7th 06 09:10 PM
power spikes on second level of the house kelly Home Repair 5 March 16th 06 08:39 PM