Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] utsuxs@hotmail.com is offline

Default Gutters: spikes vs. hangers and screws

On Apr 30, 12:12 am, mm wrote:
On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 10:47:41 -0400, Peter wrote:
On 4/28/2011 9:29 PM, wrote:
Greetings everyone,

I am hoping to get a second opinion from gurus out there. I just
replaced mygutters. My oldgutterswere held in by 'spikes'. That's
what the contractor called them. Just to clarify thesespikesare
basically big long steel nails that pass through a collar. My new
gutterswere installed with these 'hangers' and screws. He told me
thatspikeswere the old way of doing things and that the hangers were
better. Is this true?
My concern is snow. Despite the problems of my oldguttersthose
spikesheld up well against the weight of snow. Those 'bigger'spikes
make me feel better than these little screws, which look like 3
inches. He told me the hangers will hold. This is what I like to
ask. Will the hangers and those smaller screws do as good as a job
holding up against the weight of snow as thespikes?
Thank you

My oldgutterswere attached with screws. When they needed to be
removed to stop water leakage from an ice dam last winter, it was a
hellacious job to get access to the screws without destroying the fascia
board because thegutterswere solidly filled and encased with ice.
Withspikes, a little crowbar action would have done the job in a few
minutes. I never have had a spiked gutter come loose due to heavy snow.

This whole thread is confusing because I can't tell anymore, about the
two kinds of screws, who all is talking about which kind. Guttterspikes, the big nail, are the ones the OP had. Then he gotgutters
with hangers and screws.

Since he calls these screws little, I presume they are smaller than
thespikes. But there are also gutter screws, the same size asspikes, bigger if you count the thread, that go in the same spot thespikesgo.

The screws were smaller. 3inches or so. The spikes were thicker and
longer, I say 6 to 7 inches long. Hope that helps.