Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gutters: spikes vs. hangers and screws

On Apr 28, 8:29*pm, " wrote:
Greetings everyone,

I am hoping to get *a second opinion from gurus out there. *I just
replaced my gutters. *My old gutters were held in by 'spikes'. *That's
what the contractor called them. *Just to clarify these spikes are
basically big long steel nails that pass through a collar. *My new
gutters were installed with these 'hangers' and screws. * He told me
that spikes were the old way of doing things and that the hangers were
better. *Is this true?
My concern is snow. *Despite the problems of my old gutters those
spikes held up well against the weight of snow. *Those 'bigger' spikes
make me feel better than these little screws, which look like 3
inches. *He told me the hangers will hold. *This is what I like to
ask. *Will the hangers and those smaller screws do as good as a job
holding up against the weight of snow as the spikes?
Thank you

Old spikes were steel?? I thought everyone has used aluminum for
years.