Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pool table recover

Anyone done it? I've moved my 3 pc. 8' table, and it was no big deal. I
have watched several videos of recovering, and I think I could handle it.
Any caveats?

I guess the worst thing is pulling all those staples.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 18, 10:47*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
Anyone done it? *I've moved my 3 pc. 8' table, and it was no big deal. *I
have watched several videos of recovering, and I think I could handle it.
Any caveats?

I guess the worst thing is pulling all those staples.

Steve

Best tools to pull staples with is an awl and a pair of diagonal
cutters. Dont use the cutters to cut....grab the staple with the
cutters then roll the cutters instead of pulling.. Use the awl to pry
up the staple enough to get the cutters on it. Did this for 7 years.
Getting the cloth at the right tension comes with experience.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 18, 11:35*pm, JIMMIE wrote:

I guess the worst thing is pulling all those staples.

Steve

Best tools to pull staples with is an awl and a pair of diagonal
cutters. Dont use the cutters to cut....grab the staple with the
cutters then roll the cutters instead of pulling.. Use the awl to pry
up the staple enough to get the cutters on it. Did this for 7 years.
Getting the cloth at the right tension comes with experience.

Jimmie

Jimmie,

This guy, Steve B, is asking this question in a Billiard/Pool
newsgroup where there are professionals that recover pool tables, that
have given him all the answers. Why he would ask here is beyond belief
unless he is very lonely old man.

Hank ~~~~ old and cranky
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 8:25*am, Hank wrote:

This guy, Steve B, *is asking this question in a Billiard/Pool
newsgroup where there are professionals that recover pool tables, that
have given him all the answers. Why he would ask here is beyond belief
unless he is very lonely old man.

Hank ~~~~ old and cranky

Professional experience is great, but there is much that may be
learned from the disaster/success stories of those with a similar
number of thumbs.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 9:14*am, gpsman wrote:
On Apr 19, 8:25*am, Hank wrote:

This guy, Steve B, *is asking this question in a Billiard/Pool
newsgroup where there are professionals that recover pool tables, that
have given him all the answers. Why he would ask here is beyond belief
unless he is very lonely old man.

Hank ~~~~ old and cranky

Professional experience is great, but there is much that may be
learned from the disaster/success stories of those with a similar
number of thumbs.
*-----

- gpsman

Telling someone how to is deceptively simple. It took me a couple of
tries to learn. They can be expensive tries.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 05:25:52 -0700 (PDT), Hank
wrote:

On Apr 18, 11:35*pm, JIMMIE wrote:

I guess the worst thing is pulling all those staples.

Steve

Best tools to pull staples with is an awl and a pair of diagonal
cutters. Dont use the cutters to cut....grab the staple with the
cutters then roll the cutters instead of pulling.. Use the awl to pry
up the staple enough to get the cutters on it. Did this for 7 years.
Getting the cloth at the right tension comes with experience.

Jimmie

Jimmie,

This guy, Steve B, is asking this question in a Billiard/Pool
newsgroup where there are professionals that recover pool tables, that
have given him all the answers. Why he would ask here is beyond belief
unless he is very lonely old man.

Let me guess. Steve is old enough to know that all the answers are
not held by professionals. And sometimes, the procedures of the pros
will vary from the guy who is going to do a job once or twice in a
lifetime.

Hank ~~~~ old and cranky

You're cranky enough-- but not old enough yet, apparently.g

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Hank" wrote in message
On Apr 18, 11:35 pm, JIMMIE wrote:

I guess the worst thing is pulling all those staples.

Steve

Best tools to pull staples with is an awl and a pair of diagonal
cutters. Dont use the cutters to cut....grab the staple with the
cutters then roll the cutters instead of pulling.. Use the awl to pry
up the staple enough to get the cutters on it. Did this for 7 years.
Getting the cloth at the right tension comes with experience.

Jimmie

Jimmie,

This guy, Steve B, is asking this question in a Billiard/Pool
newsgroup where there are professionals that recover pool tables, that
have given him all the answers. Why he would ask here is beyond belief
unless he is very lonely old man.

Hank ~~~~ old and cranky

Because Steve does not like to cross post, and knows that a lot of people
filter out messages that have commas in them. And, besides, it is just not
proper ettiquette to cross post. And, Steve likes to hear opinions from
different people.

If you have a question for me, Hank, just ask me, and not refer to me in the
third person.

It is not a grave violation of etiquette. What's your problem?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
Anyone done it? I've moved my 3 pc. 8' table, and it was no big
deal. I have watched several videos of recovering, and I think I
could handle it. Any caveats?

I have done this on a one piece slate table with the proper billiard
cloth ordered from a billiard supply (around $200).

I did this only after watching it done by a pro on another table.
Quite a bit to all this to get the cloth stretched just right and to
cut the cloth for the side pockets just right.

The cushions can be a royal pain. Some people recover their table, but
take the cushions to a pro to be done.

As to a 3 piece slate table which was moved, I've not done one of
these, but the trick is to first spend a lot of time making sure the
slates are level and filling the cracks with bees wax or whatever.

There are some books on this. One is called "Pool Table Sales and
Service" by Conway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

I had a long aluminum straight edge that spanned the three pieces. Shimming
was not too bad, and when I checked it the other day, it's still true.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 10:40*am, "Steve B" wrote:

This guy, Steve B, *is asking this question in a Billiard/Pool
newsgroup where there are professionals that recover pool tables, that
have given him all the answers. Why he would ask here is beyond belief
unless he is very lonely old man.

Hank ~~~~ old and cranky

Because Steve does not like to cross post, and knows that a lot of people
filter out messages that have commas in them. *And, besides, it is just not
proper ettiquette to cross post. *And, Steve likes to hear opinions from
different people.

If you have a question for me, Hank, just ask me, and not refer to me in the
third person.

It is not a grave violation of etiquette. *What's your problem?

Steve

Where do I start........

First, you WERE the 3rd person when I posted a reply to another
poster. YOU are the one using your name as 3rd person.

Second, you are only spamming with your heart info stuff.

Third, you've been recovering your table for a longggggggggggg time.
Get it done already! It isn't rocket science.

Hank

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Hank" wrote in message
[...]

Well, I guess that no one can use a simple sig line, then, can they? I do
always post it after a post that holds cotent in context with the
discussion. The site is an informational one, so it's not like I'm selling
a lot of stuff there. It's to help people through very difficult times. If
it bothers you, go **** yourself.

Yes, I have been covering my table for a while, now. And as any DIY'er can
tell you, it takes a while to get the money or time or the money and time at
the same time to do any project. And then, there's always the interruptions
like making a living, doing honeydew projects, and dam bursts that are
common. I like to ask for opinions and experiences before I do something,
just like I like to ask for directions before a trip.

Hank, you seem not to have a lot to do other than criticize others, and take
them to task, so here's a thing I made up that applies to you:

Dear Whatever:

I notice you have taken to task a writer about whether or not a post is on
topic, is spelled correctly, or some other minute detail.

I would like to inform you that the post of Netnanny is already filled. It
is held by Newton Fillmore, in Pacoima, California, although Mr. Fillmore is
currently in a coma, and has been for three years, eight months now. We
just could not bring ourselves to demote him without a proper hearing and
him being present.

Please be advised that there are currently over 500 applicants and wannabes
for the position. That does not include people like yourself who have
broken with protocol and currently act like they are in the cherished
position.

If and when and if ever the post becomes available, you will be required to
write an essay of no longer than 1500 words, single spaced, using the words
there, they're, their, your, you're, and any others you can come up with in
as many incorrect grammatical situations as possible.

You must also describe the difference between "lose" and "loose" in 25 words
or less.

You must also include the reason that gives you the lifelong right to hold
this post, and review the rest of humanity on its daily heretofore
unobserved unsupervised act of Usenet Posting.

Steve
3rd Poohbah and Grand Mucky Muck
of the Society of Netnannies.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Now, goodbye from my screen forever .......... pooooof!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 1:49*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Hank" wrote in message

[...]

Now, goodbye from my screen forever .......... pooooof!- Hide quoted text -

You forgot three of my favorites, its and it's, lightning and
lightening, and to, too and two
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
On Apr 18, 10:47 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
Anyone done it? I've moved my 3 pc. 8' table, and it was no big deal. I
have watched several videos of recovering, and I think I could handle it.
Any caveats?

I guess the worst thing is pulling all those staples.

Steve

Best tools to pull staples with is an awl and a pair of diagonal
cutters. Dont use the cutters to cut....grab the staple with the
cutters then roll the cutters instead of pulling.. Use the awl to pry
up the staple enough to get the cutters on it. Did this for 7 years.
Getting the cloth at the right tension comes with experience.

Jimmie

I disagree. The best tool for removing staples or opening cartons that are
stapled is a staple removal tool.

This price sounds absurd unless they have gone up a lot since I bought mine
but the picture is good.

http://www.bonanza.com/booths/villag...Hand_Tool_1967

Steve, I have only done it on a slate bed that spray glued down so I have no
other advice to offer.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

I disagree. The best tool for removing staples or opening cartons that
are stapled is a staple removal tool.

This price sounds absurd unless they have gone up a lot since I bought
mine but the picture is good.

http://www.bonanza.com/booths/villag...Hand_Tool_1967

Steve, I have only done it on a slate bed that spray glued down so I have
no other advice to offer.

--
Colbyt

I have a staple removal tool that looks similar to that one, but slightly
different. That one sure must do a heck of a job for that price. I have
used the awl/diagonal pliers route, though, and found that it allows the
staple to be pulled straight out with little disturbance to the surrounding
area.

I really won't know until I'm hip deep in it, and judging from just moving
it, there must be at least a million staples in it.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Steve B spewed forth:
[...]

Thats high retail for a Berrys
Take a flat head screw driver and put a small notch in the center and a
slight bend if you can
or
http://roncofurniture.com/cart/claw-...22-p-4343.html
http://roncofurniture.com/cart/claw-...02-p-4349.html
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/U...ver/index.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ChairMan" nospam@nospam wrote in message
om...
In ,
Steve B spewed forth:
[...]

Found them on Ebay for about $20 delivered. I swear I only paid about $14
at the wholesale place but that was a few years back.

The screwdriver suggestion is a good one. We all have cheap screwdrivers
occupying space.

Colbyt

Pool table recover Steve B[_2_] Home Repair 41 December 12th 09 09:00 PM
Pool table legs Puckdropper[_2_] Woodworking 26 October 30th 09 01:54 PM
Moving a pool table SteveB Home Repair 6 March 29th 08 07:45 PM
INSPIRATION - Pool Table J T Woodworking 0 October 28th 06 02:36 AM
sell manufacturer gametable pool table soccer table [email protected] Woodworking 1 January 20th 06 09:46 PM