Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default LIke Jeff, AC awaits me!

Like Jeff Thies, I too hope to put in AC this summer,

but unlike him, I plan to let a more experienced guy finish the job.
(Especially since anyone is more experienced with freon, unlike Jeff.)

This weekend, I visited friends, who have two 24,000 BTU compressor/
condensors, one for each zone of a 3700 sq.ft house, installed
together, used no more than one summer, 5 years ago, when they first
bought their current home, which is abbut 30 years old.

Then, I think they had electric heat, which costs a fortune, so they
switched to geothermal for heat and AC. And they seem happy with
it.**

The two condensers were totally disconnected, and the lines crimped.

I only need one of them.

A) They were told the freon is still in the condensers. Surely some
was lost that was in the evaporator and the lines when the crimping
was done. Can my installer use all of what is left or will a lot more
get lost when the condenser is re-insstalled?

B) What do you think a fair price would be for one of the two. It's
Armstrong Air 24,000 BTU. model SCU10G24A-1 I will remove it,
with my handtruck and probably with the husband's assistance, since
it's one story up the hill on a flagstone walk with plenty of bumps
and grass in between.

I'll try to find out what it cost them, but because 2000 is divided
easily, maybe assume that and tell me what percentage of the cost of
the part, to them, I should pay. Or maybe what percentage of the
whole AC installation that they paid (which included two systems,
maybe two new evaporators too. But they haven't found the paperwork
yet.)

****(The geothermal uses the same ducts, and I suppose a different
A-coil, and I'm guessing the old A-coils were removed by the
geo-thermal guys, but the condensors are still there. There is also a
pair of vavles beween the A-coil and the two wells that were drilled.
(I think they are still a-coils, right, but they aren't evaporators
anymore because the fluid isn't compressed.)

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 10:52*pm, (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:
In article , mm wrote:
B) What do you think a fair price would be for one of the two. *It's
Armstrong Air 24,000 BTU. * model SCU10G24A-1 * * I will remove it,
with my handtruck and probably with the husband's assistance, since
it's one story up the hill on a flagstone walk with plenty of bumps
and grass in between.

5 years old and not currently operational? There's a
non-trivial chance a motor will seize when they're
restarted.

Not much. In that situation, I'd be happy to save the
hauling and disposal fees ;-)

First I'd say what it cost them is irrelevant and they probably don't
even
know, since most of these are quoted installed, without the unit price
being shown.

I'd look at what similar units are going for used or new sold
by some individual, no warranty, on Ebay or Craigslist. I'll bet
it's not much too, maybe 25% of the cost of a new unit from
one of the online AC wholesalers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/17/2011 10:42 PM, mm wrote:
Like Jeff Thies,

I want to make it clear that you have crossed the line here. You didn't
use my sig or even my email. And you did it just to puff yourself up.

Nobody needs this.

Unsubscribing,
Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

You run out of Charmin for your sensetive asshole? Usenet is
not noted for manners, nor sensetivity.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
On 4/17/2011 10:42 PM, mm wrote:
Like Jeff Thies,

I want to make it clear that you have crossed the line here.
You didn't
use my sig or even my email. And you did it just to puff
yourself up.

Nobody needs this.

Unsubscribing,
Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

I havn't done much with used equipment, but probably about
1/5 to 1/4 of the new price. You can probably Google up the
cost of the equipment. I'm guessing that will work out
between $100 and $200. Your AC professional can call his
parts house, and see what a similar size unit costs.

It is very possible the person doing the uninstall pumped
the refrigerant back into the condensor, and likely still
there. Most likely that refrigerant can still be used.
Probably need another pound or two, in addition to what's in
there.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 07:51:32 -0400, Jeff Thies
wrote:

On 4/17/2011 10:42 PM, mm wrote:
Like Jeff Thies,

I want to make it clear that you have crossed the line here. You didn't
use my sig or even my email. And you did it just to puff yourself up.

Yes, I admit it. I was trying to shine in your reflected light. I
should be ashamed, but I'm not.

Nobody needs this.

Unsubscribing,
Jeff

ROTFLOLWTIME
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

In article , mm wrote:
B) What do you think a fair price would be for one of the two. *It's
Armstrong Air 24,000 BTU. * model SCU10G24A-1 * * I will remove it,
with my handtruck and probably with the husband's assistance, since
it's one story up the hill on a flagstone walk with plenty of bumps
and grass in between.

5 years old and not currently operational? There's a
non-trivial chance a motor will seize when they're
restarted.

The electricty is right there. Could I start the thing up and run it
for a second or two, to see if it's seized, without blowing it up for
lack of an output for the freon?

(The crimped part on the big pipe is awfully short anyhow. Not sure
about the small pipe, but I'm not sure the freon is really still in
there, and maybe it would just burst out if it is?)

Not much. In that situation, I'd be happy to save the
hauling and disposal fees ;-)

First I'd say what it cost them is irrelevant and they probably don't
even
know, since most of these are quoted installed, without the unit price
being shown.

I'd look at what similar units are going for used or new sold
by some individual, no warranty, on Ebay or Craigslist. I'll bet
it's not much too, maybe 25% of the cost of a new unit from
one of the online AC wholesalers.

25% is close enough. There's a good chance they'll try to give it to
me for free, but I don't want that

Thanks, and thanks Malcomn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , mm wrote:
B) What do you think a fair price would be for one of the two. It's
Armstrong Air 24,000 BTU. model SCU10G24A-1 I will remove it,
with my handtruck and probably with the husband's assistance, since
it's one story up the hill on a flagstone walk with plenty of bumps
and grass in between.

5 years old and not currently operational? There's a
non-trivial chance a motor will seize when they're
restarted.

The electricty is right there. *Could I start the thing up and run it
for a second or two, to see if it's seized, without blowing it up for
lack of an output for the freon? *

Maybe one of the HVAC guys knows the answer to that, but it
doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I'm not so sure about
the motor seizing anyway. From what I know of AC compressors,
they are a sealed motor, with the refrigerant surrounding the
motor and compressor, providing lubrication, etc. Doesn't
sound likely to seize to me. I've had window AC units or
old fridges that were sitting around for years not used and
always started right up.

Since you think they will give it to you anyway, why not just
agree that you'll pay them $300 or whatever when you get
it installed and running.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

In article , mm wrote:
[...]

You're right and so is Malcolm.

There are still other issues. They bought the most expensive house
they looked at, and they may have bought the cheapest, obsolescent AC.
I have to check with the company to find out details. Plus I learned
they are only two tons and I need 2.5 tons. Still the AC cools the
house from hot to 72 in 2 hours and maybe I coudl get by with 2 tons
on the few days I use it.

I probably can't do this but the advice on how to handle it will be
useful on other occasions

Thanks to both of you.